Tips on swaping forks

I recently bought a set of black forks to swap out my gold ones any tips, tricks or advice while Im doing this swap???

Thanks in advance

Craig

Use a 5/8th spark plug socket with a hex section on the end to remove the axle. Use zip ties to hold the calipers out of the way and take the strain off of the hoses. When you are ready to remove the fork leg from the triple clamps, hold the fork with one hand while loosening the clamp bolts. You don't want it to fall out. It might be a good time to renew the fork oil while the new forks are out of the bike. Double check everything after you complete the task.

It's pretty easy all in all. Take. This opportunity to freshen the oil in the forks you will be installing. Also a good time to check and or replace brake pads. The main thing is to take your time and be careful not to scratch any thing. I WD my fork tubes so they slide easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that you'll be removing a substantial amount of weight from the front of the bike during the process so make sure you support it properly. If you still have the center stand installed use that along with some blocks of wood under the headers to support the bike.

Sit one small bored child on the pillion seat from start to finish to hold the rear of the bike down. An ipad, nook or kindle fire will suffice as entertainment for said child.

Do not over-torque the pinch bolts on your triples. Make sure the ride height of the forks is equal on both sides (great time to put them about 4mm UP in the triples for tighter turn-in!!) Send you old forks to Eric Randall in Dover, NH and I'll discard them for you. ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice, Once I bolt the axle and wheel back on that should square everything up correct? I will be selling the gold forks if anyone would be interested

Thanks again, Craig

Yes, I was just going to say that. Tighten the wheel to the specified torque to square out things. If ya tighten the pinch bolts in the triple first than they may get wrongly aligned. From experience....

Back