Today on FM 1431

"ARE YOU READY FOR THE LIFESTYLE?"

That's one of the lines the local Harley Dealer uses and it says a lot. No mention of bikes or riding there.

I've come to believe that many of the people coming into motorcycling on HD's aren't too interested in riding but are more interested in their bad biker image and that image does not welcome others who do not share it.

I was thinking they might like me more if I got one of those head rags with skulls on it.

According to the HOGs at my work, the term is "dew rag". You are going to have to get the terminology right if you want acceptance to the Clan.:shaking head:

:doh2:
According to the HOGs at my work, the term is "dew rag". You are going to have to get the terminology right if you want acceptance to the Clan.:shaking head:

Excuse me for being anal on spelling but I believe the slang term is: doo rag as in hairdo, not dew as in the morning mist that waters the ground.

You guys are funny! Hey, I even saw a guy wearing one of those mini face masks today (no head cover) on 1431. Strange. What are those called now?

This weekend is the annual Oilmens Hill Country ride and I haven't seen a lot of bikes but there are a lot of empty trailers at some of the motels.

I don't like riding on main thoroughfares or in traffic and I'm always exploring for new roads and I found some on the map near Centerpoint. I decided to head that way but avoided the most used roads to enjoy the scenery and avoid any rolling road blocks. My route was TX 16, RR 2828, TX 173, FM 480 and I saw 5, only, motorcycles on that route.

Most of the expected HD entourage was parked in Bandera but the back roads were, essentially, deserted. I did a road probe that ended at a locked ranch gate and retraced to where I could find an alternate and it was a winner. It came out on TX 173 and I rode from there into Kerrville and found a shady spot to examine my map and decide on the next piece of new road.

I couldn't believe the sheer numbers of Harleys rolling through and it certainly was a contrast to what I had seen but I hadn't been on any main roads, except for a couple of miles. The volume of (HD) motorcycle traffic was a complete surprise. In downtown Kerrville.

Here's my theory. I figure a sport bike rider is looking for deserted roads to experience the ride in their own particular way but the Harley riders don't want the open spaces, they want the crowds to line the roads so that they can be seen. And heard.

So, it appears, the largest number of Harley riders are found where the largest crowds are for them to be seen by.

Living so near Bandera, I have always been puzzled by the huge numbers of Harley riders that just ride up and down Main Street and by the similar number that ride around on TX 16 but I guess you have to be where the crowds adore you and where you can play to your audience.

Bottom line - there is politeness and camaraderie, and there is rudeness and ignorance. This can be witnessed of any rider or driver, and the former is sure a pleasurable reminder that people can be nice and decent, betwixt the latter intentionally annoying road-rash of a road warrior riding his/her potato factory at smell-the-roses speeds.

We all know who you are, fast or slow, showboat or true hippie. Slow is good sometimes, and enjoyable, and when doing so, don't make a nuisance to the rest of the world. At least the bikers should be trying to support each other, but you will see cagers trying to make way for the bikers and that really adds to the enjoyment of the road. But when you find one in the way it's probably best to chill a while and let him get further away than to risk making a bad choice of passing location.

I don't get the 10 mph Macy's parade of chrome either! I guess I ride for myself and not for others or for showing off - but that's just me.

:+1: Nice sweepers! Plus, it takes you to the best part of TX-16, north of the Medina Childrens Home! :tup:

I have to admit, you guys have me on this one.

RR2828, as I know it, runs from an intersection 3 miles south of Medina north to where it meets TX173, at Bandera Pass. If you use it from TX173 to TX16 and then go north, yes, it will take you past the Medina Childrens Home. It's a fast and open road; watch for buffalo on the north side.

Personally, and not differing, I've always thought the best part of TX16 was from Tarpley Crossing to Shadow Grove.

Pic taken at northern perimeter of Medina Children's Home.

Last edited:
I have to admit, you guys have me on this one.

RR2828, as I know it, runs from an intersection 3 miles south of Medina north to where it meets TX173, at Bandera Pass. If you use it from TX173 to TX16 and then go north, yes, it will take you past the Medina Childrens Home. It's a fast and open road; watch for buffalo on the north side.

Personally, and not differing, I've always thought the best part of TX16 was from Tarpley Crossing to Shadow Grove.

Pic taken at northern perimeter of Medina Children's Home.

Opps. I stand corrected, Gary.

I was thinking about RR 2771, but my pudgy little digits typed 2828.
Both are excellent routes :tup:

Last edited:
I remember buffalo in the corner of 480 and 173........not off 2828. Maybe I missed those....

You are correct. There is a small herd of buffalo often seen behind a game fence across from the Camp Verde store but there is a larger herd of buffalo, often very near the road and behind conventional fencing, on the west side of 2828.

I took this last fall.

Opps. I stand corrected, Gary.

I was thinking about RR 2771, but my pudgy little digits typed 2828.
Both are excellent routes :tup:

Doug, I have a hard time remembering road numbers and usually find it easier when they have names. I couldn't recall 2771 until I looked at a map and that's Turtle Creek Road.

I had thought you were referring to RR2107 and that is the road that I thought was going to be the legendary North-West Passage to Asia, or at least to Vanderpool, but it ends at a locked ranch gate. It's a really fine road to ride, has several scenic crossings of the Medina River and is worth riding but you can't go through; so it's ten miles up and ten miles back. RR2107 forks off from TX16 about 3 miles north of Medina. See pic below, taken last November at one of the river crossings.

View attachment 10377

Now, if my feeble memory serves me correctly; Turtle Creek Road intersects TX173 just north of the Center Point River Road East that leads through some very pretty country, and parallels the Guadalupe River, to Center Point. I like the road, it's not at all challenging but it is scenic and deserted and pleasant. There is at least one scenic place where the road crosses over the river and the locals are sometimes seen fishing or having a cookout.

At Center Point, turn right on 480 and proceed to the south edge of town. The building on the right, where the road curves to the west, is Boerne Stage Rod & Custom and they do world class custom builds and restorations. Sometimes I see some very impressive vehicles there.

The road forks at that point, take the left fork south on Elm Pass Road. It has a lot of elevation change going over Elm Pass and is very scenic but watch for wildlife. There are a lot of hogs and deer along that road and I almost got done in by a turkey. There are a couple of somewhat roughly paved sections but they are short. It's about 12 miles. See pic below, taken last fall near the south end of Elm Pass and looking towards the north.

View attachment 10378

Elm Pass Road will join TX173 about 6 miles north of Bandera and you can go right to the junction of RR2828 or south to Bandera.

Last edited:
I remember buffalo in the corner of 480 and 173........not off 2828. Maybe I missed those....

You are correct. There is a small herd of buffalo often seen behind a game fence across from the Camp Verde store but there is a larger herd of buffalo, often very near the road and behind conventional fencing, on the west side of 2828.

The Camp Verde buffalo compound is directly north of another fenced area, fronting on TX173, that often has a bunch of Ostrich, not Emus, walking around,.

I took this last fall.

Back