Top speed

fazertazer1

Alright you guys I'm a little buy hurt today. What's the fastest you guys have gotten your bike up to?

I was going down the highway today and decide I was going to top my bike out for the very first time since I have owned it. In 6th gear at 11 thousand rpms it would only do 140. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I do have a speedo healer on my bike because the front sprocket have been dropped one tooth. Also the bike isn't stock. I have ivans ecu flash, power commander 5, k&n air filter , and ivans airbox mod.....

I was told that at 11 grand on 6th gear I should be right around 170.

Anybody have any ideas why I'm lacking top end?
Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's God's way of telling you that you'll never hit 170 taking a passenger along. Please, I'm not trying to sound like a parent to you but please don't do top end runs with someone on your pillion. That's a catastrophe waiting to happen. Oh, and I can assure you that the extra weight aboard will most definitely keep you from reaching max mph's. Lose the passenger next time and see what happens. Be careful!

Fastest I've seen is 171 indicated with Ivan's flash and 16/47 gearing with a 190/55, no speedohealer. I'm off by 12.7% so that should be just about 150.

Last edited:
According to Ivan's dyno charts Gen 1 motors reach peak power at about 10,000rpm stock. A header and pipe increases this to 10,500. Gen 2 motors reach peak power at 11,500. The Gen 1 loses considerable power above 10,500. I haven't extrapolated what your sprocket change does to RPM/Speed calculations, but standard gearing is about 14.5 mph per 1000rpm. If you are pulling 11,000 rpm in top gear you can probably increase top end by going to stock gearing, however wind resistance is your enemy as speed rises. Carrying a passenger only adds to that wind resistance burden (and scares Hell out of your passenger). Motorcycle Consumer News does top speed measurement and they ran their test bike to 154 actual. With one tooth down on gearing and a passenger you are probably doing well to do a real 140. Keep the shiny side up.

Motorcycles are as aerodynamic as bricks and having a passenger is going to seriously hinder your top speed. A solo run fully tucked in should yield some better results, methinks

Also, I wag my finger at you for doing 140 mph with a passenger!

Really, trying that with a passenger was either the most selfish, stupid thing I have ever heard OR ? I don't know what else to say about this besides if I ever see anyone do it I will beat them with a baseball bat then call the cops. Sorry to get in a face about this but this rea) u piss' s me off that this person has no care or concern for his passengers life.

To answer your question directly....
155-160 is a reasonable number. Obviously you loose top speed if you have aftermarket gearing (which I do)
I've seen videos of 170+ but the spedometer is most likely reading high

I want to reply on both the passenger as well as top speed but will take the 5th for fear of getting myself knee deep in poo poo with the law lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Considering the front is down a tooth and you had two on the bike, that is more than reasonable. The FZ1 isn't aerodynamic at all so the bike DOES hit a point where there isn't enough HP generated to push the bike faster through the air. That is variable based on what performance mods you have and what altitude you are riding in but not by a lot either way. To go faster you'll need to reduce wind resistance and/or increase HP.

Regarding the negativity of your choices, you earned that.... and you know better than to do that. There's no need to blow it out any further. I just hope you'll use some common sense going forward. ;)

Amusing how all the people seem ok with doing a top speed run SOLO on public roads, but react with horror if a willing passenger is on the back. It's stupid to do these speeds on public roads whether solo or with passenger. It's no different than having a friend along in your cage and you both decide to 'open it up and see what it will do'. It's dumb either way. Sometimes I don't understand the silliness on this board.

just to champion not giving a fuck about peoples opinions, i'll pipe in here, since this guy edited away his balls apparently.

stock gearing solo mine hits 165-167 depending on conditions. 2up, 155 is as far as it's indicated and i haven't been able to get it to show higher yet. my speedo has been calibrated, its within 2% on dyno and gps .

I went over each post and nowhere does anyone imply that it is okay to ride top speed solo or otherwise.

Maybe not in this thread. I just read the thread of the 315 hp turbo FZ1 doing top speed runs on a highway. Everyone, including yourself, commended the op on the great job he did. Not one person said anything negative. In my eyes it's implied that it's acceptable. Or is it only acceptable when it's completely insane.

It's never acceptable. It is always a risk. I'm not going on record saying I don't break a law or two on occasion, but I'm not going to brag about anything I did. This thread is proof why we should keep some skeletons in the closet. ;)

I can only say (on record) that I wouldn't ever do anything like this with a pillion. That 'bout covers my opinion.

Maybe not in this thread. I just read the thread of the 315 hp turbo FZ1 doing top speed runs on a highway. Everyone, including yourself, commended the op on the great job he did. Not one person said anything negative. In my eyes it's implied that it's acceptable. Or is it only acceptable when it's completely insane.

Well, if your speaking about Mr Helmet, I don't think he ever did a "top speed" run on his Turbo FZ1. I don't think anywhere except the salt flats could have enough room to open it flat out. But if that's the case, by all means, repost my post where I said that to him. I'm not here to judge anyone on how they ride their bike. I only said to please not take a passenger along and to be careful. No matter what I say to someone is going to make them do what they do on his or her bike. The OP asked a question and I gave my thought on the subject. Also, if I commended Mr. Helmet in his thread, it was on how his turbo, that he designed and built came out and not how he was riding flat out on it. If I remember I only commented on how he should take a photo of the finished bike and enter it in the contest.

Back