Torque Settings

Bagzter

I'm after the torque settings for the front end on my '07 FZ1, nothing serious, but, i cant help but feel that something isnt quite right in the land of nut/bolt tightness on the fork assembly (top and bottom fork clamps etc.)

The reason for this is i swapped bikes during a recent ride with my mate who has a late 07 FZ1, and his felt so much lighter and responsive on the front end.Naturally when i got home i checked all my suspension settings on both front and rear end. the settings were set more to the hard side of standard, suggesting a heavier previous owner, i put them all back to standard settings. I also checked tyre pressures to be sure low pressures werent a cause, and all is good in the land or colourless gasses.

The allen head screws at the top of the clamps show signs of being taken out and refitted at some point, possibly when it had a fly screen fitted. i also want to check the torque setting for the main assembly of the steering bearing. I'd buy a manual, but i been on a spending spree lately and seem to low on funds. I'd appreciate any help with making sure all is right, before i take my missus on a long run

The bike was recently MOT'd by a Yamaha dealership so i think i could eliminate any bearing issues

Last edited:
As per the manual:

Upper braket pinch bolt- 26 Nm or 19 ft.lbs
Lower Pinch Bracket bolt- 23 Nm or 17 ft.lbs
As for the steering head; Steering Stem Nut-113 Nm or 82 ft.lbs

There is a proceedure for checking the ring nuts on the steering head that require a special tool and proceedure, that just like wheel bearing nuts on a car have to be done very precisely. If you know what you are doing and have the proper tools I can post the process as the manual lays it out. I am not at my desk top right now so it will have to later tonight if you want.

THIS IS FOR A GEN 2 ! I couldn't remember what you had and thought I better add that.

Last edited:
As per the manual:

Upper braket pinch bolt- 26 Nm or 19 ft.lbs
Lower Pinch Bracket bolt- 23 Nm or 17 ft.lbs
As for the steering head; Steering Stem Nut-113 Nm or 82 ft.lbs

There is a proceedure for checking the ring nuts on the steering head that require a special tool and proceedure, that just like wheel bearing nuts on a car have to be done very precisely. If you know what you are doing and have the proper tools I can post the process as the manual lays it out. I am not at my desk top right now so it will have to later tonight if you want.

THIS IS FOR A GEN 2 ! I couldn't remember what you had and thought I better add that.

much appreciated for the info.. will take my bike into work and utilise my much underused tool kit.will make a change to do some "clean" work rather than the forktrucks i work with all day lol

Back