TPS Adjustment with Power Commander

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
With Ivan's permission, here is his TPS sticky verbatim from the other site.

How to set your Gen2 FZ1 TPS using a PC3 or PCV

This procedure is to ensure that you get the best driveability results and fuel economy with my fuel mapping.

This will also help you if you do this procedure before you go for a custom map.

This procedure is also meant to address the fact that everyone’s TPS is not set the same from the factory and will cause different fueling results from bike to bike particularly at small throttle openings.

DO NOT DO THIS PROCEDURE UNLESS THE BIKE IS COMPLETELY OFF THE FAST IDLE !!

Preparation

1) Hinge up fuel tank and prop it up so it will stay all by itself.

2) Remove airbox.
Leave air temp sensor plugged in when removing airbox top,
Just remove the phillips screw and gently set sensor to the side while still plugged in.

3) Using a T25 security torx bit, loosen the screws on the TPS so that it can be easily moved without excessive force.
The TPS is on the same shaft as the throttle cables…. to the left of the cables while sitting on the bike.

4) Connect to power commander and start bike…. . When coolant reaches 170 degrees shut it off until you are ready to move the sensor and make the actual adjustment.

Making the actual adjustment:

Start bike.
Make sure that your idle speed is set to 1200 - 1300 rpm

On bikes with PC3, choose “power commander tools” > “set throttle position” look at the current value (middle box)
You will need to move the TPS so your average # in the current box is somewhere between 5350 & 5400 while the bike is idling at 1250 rpm (appx)

If you already have these readings, there is no need to adjust your TPS.

On bikes with a PCV, choose “power commander tools” > “calibrate throttle position”
look at the current value (middle box) you need to move the TPS so your average # in the current box is somewhere between 0.640 & 0.650 while the bike is idling at 1250 rpm (appx)

If you already have these readings, there is no need to adjust your TPS.

After you get your sensor voltage where it needs to be, re-tighten the T25 security torx screws and reset the open/close points again.

If the coolant temp reaches 190 degrees, shut it off and wait until it cools back to normal running temperature before assuming that you are done.

Recheck your voltage readings to make sure they are correct before setting the open/close values at the correct temperature.

If you have questions about this, please call me on the phone at my shop during business hours or send me a PM.

When you send me a PM for any reason, please include your real name.... :tup:

Any discussion of this should be done in a separate thread because this thread will be locked.

Thanks,

Ivan

attachment.php

Of course by hand, how else?

The switch mounts are slotted somewhat so you can slide the switch a little thereby changing the setting.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I have Ivan's ECU flash/map and for an experiment, I have adjusted my tps back to the stock setting of 0.665 VDC.

I have noticed no changes to smoothness and it seems to be a bit better on fuel now too, go figure?

Yesterday's ride was a combination of town, Hwy riding and twisties and I got 34 mpg.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Last edited:
I have Ivan's ECU flash/map and for an experiment, I have adjusted my tps back to the stock setting of 0.665 VDC.

I have noticed no changes to smoothness and it seems to be a bit better on fuel now too, go figure?

Yesterday's ride was a combination of town, Hwy riding and twisties and I got 34 mpg.

I've not touched the 2013 TPS settings at all. I think I'm just running the wrong map. I'm going to load Ivan's original after a firmware update to the PC V and see what I get at that point. I'm several revisions behind I guess!

You can always update to the latest firmware. There's normally bug fixes and minor improvements.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Watch out for that! I loaded the latest version in my PCV and from the point there was no readout from the TPS sensor.
I did i rollback to the old firmware and everything was fine again.

Watch out for that! I loaded the latest version in my PCV and from the point there was no readout from the TPS sensor.
I did i rollback to the old firmware and everything was fine again.
I would try downloading it again and reinstall.
It's worked fine for me and many others.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Always make sure you bike key is OFF with no power to the PC when updating the firmware. Let the USB connection power the Power Commander and upgrade the firmware then. Afterward, be sure to check/set your open/close points before loading/changing any maps.

I would try downloading it again and reinstall.
It's worked fine for me and many others.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

I tried it several times. The latest firmware version won't work on my PCV. This was a known issue at dynojet and they send me version 0.1.10.6. right away. I loaded this version and the problem with the tps was solved directly.

Last edited:
So much for the bug fixes and minor improvements lol

Version 1.14.2 is still up on their website which seems strange if it's causing issues.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Last edited:
Dynojet re-branded their software. The new program is called Power Core but they have a caveat that states "Do not upgrade the old program." The recommend you uninstall any older software then install the latest copy of Power Core. 1.14.2 can only be loaded with the new software. If the firmware is loaded with the old program, the firmware will corrupt.

Try a fresh install of the software then connect your PC before starting the application the first time. There's a bug where starting it the first time without the PC connected causes network issues between the laptop and PC unit. Once running and the PC is recognized, you can proceed with the firmware upgrade.

I have not tried this yet but intend to tomorrow.

Dynojet re-branded their software. The new program is called Power Core but they have a caveat that states "Do not upgrade the old program." The recommend you uninstall any older software then install the latest copy of Power Core. 1.14.2 can only be loaded with the new software. If the firmware is loaded with the old program, the firmware will corrupt.

Try a fresh install of the software then connect your PC before starting the application the first time. There's a bug where starting it the first time without the PC connected causes network issues between the laptop and PC unit. Once running and the PC is recognized, you can proceed with the firmware upgrade.

EDIT: please see my post below

Last edited:

Ok, I just double checked the PCV downloads and the firmware that I used back in February.

I did use the correct one (firmware 1.14.2) and it works fine with the current 1.0.6.4 software.

Downloads can be found here: Power Commander Downloads

Just make sure you select this firmware and not any of the others.

Please see below marked in red:

Last edited:
They changed the downloads page again... LOL!

I just put on the latest Power Commander software and updated the firmware to 1.14.2 with no issues. I've got Ivan's original map loaded back on so I can see if the fuel mileage increases at all, or am I just that heavy-handed... Yes, I set the open/close first on the TPS. ;)

They changed the downloads page again... LOL!

I just put on the latest Power Commander software and updated the firmware to 1.14.2 with no issues. I've got Ivan's original map loaded back on so I can see if the fuel mileage increases at all, or am I just that heavy-handed... Yes, I set the open/close first on the TPS. ;)

Okay, so let me get this correct: I'm going to remove the existing software from my laptop, saving my maps of course. Then install the new software from the site above?

Okay, so let me get this correct: I'm going to remove the existing software from my laptop, saving my maps of course. Then install the new software from the site above?
Yup. They recommended that to a rider on FB who had trouble with the latest firmware.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back