Transferring Endorsement to Cali?

Ok so I moved to California not all that long ago and am finally at the point in which I really need to transfer my DL to California from Oregon. My question is to anyone that's moved to Cali and already had your endorsement. What are the requirements for transferring the endorsement over? I believe I'll have to take the written for the DL but will I need to take a Motorcycle written as well or will they just transfer it over? I've been googling it but haven't managed to find an answer. I know every state is different and My appointment with the DMV is in two weeks so I need to make sure I'm adequately prepared for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Too many years since I moved here but I think you need to take both written tests for a Ca DL and MC endorsement. Go by the dmv and get the pamphlet for both tests so you will be ready to take them the day of your appointment. And/or ask (good luck with that) when you stop by for pamphlets what you need to do.

Interesting that you can't just swap licenses. I'd be interested to hear what the process is like when you're all transferred over, Chameleon

I went in and set the appointment and while I was there I asked about the endorsement. I mentioned I already had it for Oregon and the lady didn't seem overly concerned about it. As in it would be no problem. She didn't say what I would need to do though so on my way out I grabbed both books to study so if I have to take both tests then I should be adequately prepared. I'll let you guys know how it goes down!

Ok I finished the process yesterday and here's the deal: Because it was my first time getting a Ca. license I had to take the written drivers and M1 (motorcycle endorsement) tests. Had I been a Ca. resident before then I could've just paid the money and switched the license back. Also, already having my endorsement made the Ca endorsement part easy. If I didn't have it already then I would've had to go through either the riding class, or take the riding test which is weaving in and out of cones into an 8' circle, ride around the circle twice without putting a foot down, and going back through the cones. Pretty easy process though. tests are computerized. I spent about two days taking practice tests online and the real tests were pretty cake comparably speaking.

Back