Uninspiring

Ever since I picked up my new (to me) FZ on Friday, I've noticed that the front end doesn't feel very planted in low-mid speed turns. I'm not sure if it's my newbieness to this type of steering geometry, or my front tire simply sucks?!:ugh:

It isn't washing out, per say, but isn't confidence inspiring either. It came wrapped with a Bridgestone Batlax BT015F on the front, and a BT016R on the back. Not sure how many miles are on the front, but it looks like there's still ~3k left on it. I'm not used to these type of tires though.

Any input is appreciated...I'm soaking up as much on the new steed as possible.:tup:

Last edited:
It could be the tire The BT 015 doesn't completely match the 16 thats on the rear. Check your tire pressures. I have the 15 on my ZX6r around 34 psi. On a used bike its hard to say what the previous owner tweaked. Try setting the clickers back to factory(if they have been moved) and have some friends help you set the sag. How many miles are on the bike, it may be time for fresh fork oil.

I would put a bt 16 on the front.

Thanks for the post...

I wondered why the model numbers weren't the same, but have never ran Batlaxs before. Tire pressure is about the same as you have listed.

~8,500 miles on the bike. ~500 on the 16 rear (per the PO's info). I'd planned to put a matching 16 on when the time comes...so maybe it's sooner rather than later.

I'll check the fork settings again, but I'm pretty sure they're at stock spec.

I thought the BT-15 and BT-16 were of similar construction and compound. From what I remember the BT-15 was an OEM version only fitted to certain sport bikes (CBR and GSX-R). Very possible that it's not a "good" match for the FZ1. Dis you check the tire over to see if it was cupped? Johnny's suggestion of setting thew suspension back to factory settings as a starting point is a good one. You don't know what the previous owner did with the adjustments and what worked for him may not work for you.

The BT 15's are similar but not the same as the 16's. Kinda of like the Dunlop Q2's and the Qualifiers they supply on the R1 and 6. I would get a fresh 16 on the front. I feel the 16s are a stickier tire. Not sure what the profile difference would be. I looked to compare the 16 thats on the front of the FZ to the 15 thats on the front of my Ninja but the 15 is to far worn to give a honest answer.

What size BT 15 is on the front a 120/70 or a 120/60?

I've experienced this feeling before with a bike and fresh fork and shock oil and proper sag settings did wonders; it felt like an all-new bike

The BT 15's are similar but not the same as the 16's. Kinda of like the Dunlop Q2's and the Qualifiers they supply on the R1 and 6. I would get a fresh 16 on the front. I feel the 16s are a stickier tire. Not sure what the profile difference would be. I looked to compare the 16 thats on the front of the FZ to the 15 thats on the front of my Ninja but the 15 is to far worn to give a honest answer.

Yea, I just found some specs and you're right the BT16 seems to have softer compounds on the edges.

I've experienced this feeling before with a bike and fresh fork and shock oil and proper sag settings did wonders; it felt like an all-new bike

That could be a possibility, but with only 8500 miles I can't imagine his fork oil is that bad. However, properly setting up the suspension might make all the difference in the world.

Back