Using a USA ECU in an aussie bike - can someone help with US wiring diagrams?

Hi,
I've decided that the way i want to go with my bike is to get an american ECU and plug it in to my australian bike, as the american ones do not have the immobiliser.
I've read on the vmax forums about a bloke doing this (his motive was to workaround a power limiter) with his french v-max. Apparently the ECUs won't just plug-n-play, but a small number of wires are swapped around. I'm making the assumption that yamaha commonly does this with their ecus.

I have an australian service manual with the wiring diagram and plug pinout, but i don't have the american service manual. I'd like to compare the wiring diagrams to get an idea of if there is any wiring differences, and if so, what needs to be swapped around. Can someone help?
I know this forum frowns on putting up any part of the service manual, fair enough, what if we just typed up which wires do what? Is that ok?

Thanks guys.

(Also, if anyone doubts my motives for doing this, i can provide documentary proof of my ownership of this bike. It is a repairable writeoff without keys, and the immobiliser means i cant simply cut new keys, and the dealer wants $2200 for a new ecu +key set)

With some help from someone from partshark, i've determined the only difference is that the spark plugs and injector leads go 1234 on the USA model, and 4321 on the Aus model. The rest of the wiring looks the same.

Ok the ECU arrived last night. I re-wired the ignition coils and injector wires, and plugged it in. Damn! Flat battery! So i can't test it all out yet. I need a new battery, next...

Cheers NJFZ1.
Last night found a few crushed wires that go to the right hand side handlebar controls. Soldered them back up and now the bike tries to turn over. Not enough juice in the battery to turn it very far though. But the bike makes lots of 'startup' noises eg servos turning, fuel pump pumping, relays clicking, etc etc so the new ECU is definitely doing stuff. Oh and i can smell fuel in the exhaust, so the injectors are firing too.
I pulled the key barrel out, today i'll take it to a locksmith to cut keys to suit it. That should be easier than replacing the main barrel + tank lock + seat lock. And it'll beat having to hotwire it which is what i've been trying so far!
Anyway i'm getting a battery today too which should be good. Fingers crossed.

Cheers NJFZ1.
Last night found a few crushed wires that go to the right hand side handlebar controls. Soldered them back up and now the bike tries to turn over. Not enough juice in the battery to turn it very far though. But the bike makes lots of 'startup' noises eg servos turning, fuel pump pumping, relays clicking, etc etc so the new ECU is definitely doing stuff. Oh and i can smell fuel in the exhaust, so the injectors are firing too.
I pulled the key barrel out, today i'll take it to a locksmith to cut keys to suit it. That should be easier than replacing the main barrel + tank lock + seat lock. And it'll beat having to hotwire it which is what i've been trying so far!
Anyway i'm getting a battery today too which should be good. Fingers crossed.

We're all rooting for ya Chubs! I have a feeling she's gonna fire. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Well, i've bought a new battery and got my newly cut keys to suit my lock. In a couple hours i'll be home and i'll give it a shot!

Last edited:
Re American ECU

Hi Chubs,
Do you have a Power Commander, if not you better get one because your air/fuel ratio will be too rich.
We use a less oxygenated fuel in this region of the world, I confirmed this with Shell Australia after my bike was running way to rich on maps I have used from the FZ1 website.
A dyno tuner who tuned my bike knew straight away that the map that I was running was from the US, and he told me about the fuel difference.
I was a bit skeptical, so I contacted the technical department of Shell Australia and they confirmed it, and they said it is the same fuel used throughout the South East Asian/Australian Pacific region.
My map will be no good for you because your ECU will be starting at different values than mine.
I have also been informed by a Yamaha representative that because of the very strict pollution rules in California the fuel cut is more pronounced than in the ECU in the Australian models, so you will definitely need Ivan's Fuel Cut Eliminator if you don't already have it.

I had no idea there was that much difference in the fuel refined in the US and Australia/ the east etc. What the heck does a person with a boat/airplane/etc do when the simply come into those areas from the US? Do they use an additive or have to remap their fueling computers. I know that jets (commercial and military) use JP4 not gas, but there still must be a lot of aviators who fly in, and that sounds pretty dangerous to me that all of a sudden their fuel may not be propper for their injection systems.

Adam - that all sounds like bad news to me. Bugger eh!
It'd be sweet if i could get fully programmable EFI but oh well.
This is a budget build so these power commanders and FCE might take a while to pony up for.
But yeah pics'll come soon enough. Actually did i take any of the wiring? I'll have to check.

-edit-
I've had a think about it. If my bike is now going to be running a bit rich, wouldn't that mean that it will suit a more free-flowing exhaust?
Also, re the FCE: i've bought a 2008 model ECU, and i believe they sorted out the FCE 'jerkiness' issues by then.

Last edited:
IT WORKS!
Started up instantly, too :)

Great to hear you finally got it running :tup:

As for the bike running rich with the US ECU, I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. It can't be that bad and I am sure once it's in closed-loop the ECU will be able to make some adjustment. And yes if it's running a little too rich then doing the airbox mod (w/ free flowing air filter) and slip-on/full exhaust should make it run a little leaner.

As for the ECU, the '08 should work better than the 06 anyway...

Last edited:
Hi,
Put it all together today and took it for a spin up the driveway. Runs beautifully!
One thing though, the temp light is on. But the coolant bottle is full, and i had only runthe bike for a minute or so, so it should still be cold anyway. Maybe its just that the gauges are pretty munched up from the crash.
Oh another thing! Are american gauges in degrees celcius or farenheit, or switchable?
Because thats my next purchase.

Yes I know you can run the Airbox mod, filter, gut the cat and run a slip on without it running lean.
I have all those mods and the flies tied open and it only ran at 13/1 in a 200 rev range at about 7200 revs on a zero map in my PC3 when it was on a dyno.

Yes I have read the read outs are able to be changed.

Lonerider59 I'm sure jet fuel is standardized being that planes regularly fly all around the world.

Last edited:
Hi,
Put it all together today and took it for a spin up the driveway. Runs beautifully!
One thing though, the temp light is on. But the coolant bottle is full, and i had only runthe bike for a minute or so, so it should still be cold anyway. Maybe its just that the gauges are pretty munched up from the crash.
Oh another thing! Are american gauges in degrees celcius or farenheit, or switchable?
Because thats my next purchase.

Gen I owner, but I thought you coluld switch between the two, with your present setup......

Last edited:
I'm not sure what 'uoubcouldnswitch' means, but if your bike is a gen 1 then i'm not sure its applicable.
Anyway, pics finally, unfortunately i didn't take any pics of my ecu re-wiring, which was the most important part! Just imagine a plug with lots of wires coming off it. Anyway:

Fat fingers and small keyboard. iPhone is my principal means to access the net lately.

Also have this bullet proof case that is not making it any easier to be able to hit the "space", so it comes out as an "n" that and still being half asleep for the original post.

Last edited:
Back