Value in Exhaust mods.

I just spent the better part of two days researching slip-on exhaust systems and the benefit related to making the change. I checked the home sites of Yoshimura, MIVV, and Akrapovic. If you can believe their dyno charts, they all add some H.P. and TQ. However, without knowing exactly what the conditions were when the dyno run was made it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison, especially when their stock numbers have quite a variance. According to what I saw, the Akrapovic had the best numbers, and also the highest price. I happen to prefer the MIVV Suono, mostly because I just plain like the looks of it. Other people will prefer other brands/models for any number of reasons. In order to get the most out of any of the systems the rider will have to add a jet kit or PCIII or equivalent and a high flow air filter plus some dyno time if he wants to really make sure it's working the way he thinks it is. Bottom line is be prepared to spend about $1000 give or take a bit. Then I really have to ask myself if 10 or so H.P. is worth it. Probaly not, but when the aesthetics are factored in (lighter weight, personalization of appearance, etc.) maybe. I have to chew on this for a while.

I have the benefit of not knowing all the in/outs of motorcycle mechanics and doing such and such has this outcome. I just read what others have done and hope for the best. I do know that I'm not taking full advantage of the MIVV can on the bike and in order to do so will require a re-jet for better fuel delivery and an airbox mod for increased airflow. My "Butt-o-meter" doesn't have a true reference point for Carbureator vs. Fuel Injection or to see how things have developed over the years when something was first introduced and having to go through subsequent tweaks.

To date, I'll have spent just under 350.00 for my MIVV GP slip-on, Ivan's jet kit, and a Morgan Carbtune to sync after the jet kit is installed. I'm hoping then that my "butt-o-meter" will be able to notice the difference. Am I looking for all possible delivery of HP and Torque, that'd be nice, but I'm just learning as I go and hoping not to disable the bike in my adventure of motorcycle mechanics.

P.S. another nice thing about my "learning" adventure is that I get to play with the "outdated" technology so that it doesn't come at such a hefty penny. Lots of searching on other forums to p/u those odds/ends that someone is just wanting to part with for minimal $$ b/c it has been replaced with something better and more technologically based.....

BroHay

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a carbed machine. The Japanese got very good at building hi-flow carbs that metered pretty darned well. If anything killed the carb it was the lean requirements that the EPA mandated. With fuel injection it's a lot easier to make a lean mixture in most places, but richen it up quickly when needed. I checked the Dynojet site out and the kit for your bike (4170) is $126 which is a lot cheaper than a power commander and if you take your time fine tuning it I'm sure you'll see a good improvement especially if you add in a pipe and air cleaner.

But, cant you strip your standard exhaust of both cats and exup valve at about 1 days labour. still = 10bhp ( so I have read )
I am doing this...slowly...I have done the front cat, drilled a cpl of holes in the main cat, gonna try to finish it this week, exup cables removed and 15T front sprocket ordered to make the 10bhp feel like 50. lol total cost about £25 sprocket £17 and a cpl of drill bits.
Once thats done I will prob try the air box mod, and all this does not need a PCIII

I'm headed down this path as well. Honestly, I'm not really looking to increase power or T. Fz1 is plenty for me. But for those of us that would like a better throaty sound + better looks, do you have to REJECT a Gen II (ie fuel injection) with just a slip on? My shop says no...you really dont. I mean if your goal is better look + sound, dont mess with the jetting with just a slip on.

What has the forums experience been ? I like the Yosh or Two Brothers. On the Gen II do we have to do the PCIII or Ivans ? Or can we keep the stock fueling with just a slip on ? Want to avoid back fire ...

But, cant you strip your standard exhaust of both cats and exup valve at about 1 days labour. still = 10bhp ( so I have read )
I am doing this...slowly...I have done the front cat, drilled a cpl of holes in the main cat, gonna try to finish it this week, exup cables removed and 15T front sprocket ordered to make the 10bhp feel like 50. lol total cost about £25 sprocket £17 and a cpl of drill bits.
Once thats done I will prob try the air box mod, and all this does not need a PCIII

I'm no expert, but if gutting the cat gave 10bhp, I think everyone would be saving themselves lots of $$$ if that is all it took..

from the "other forum",
  • "The package was 1800. half being the full yosh r-77 system.I think the P/C III was 300 and the ignition modulator was around 300. BMC airfilter 80 , throttle plates, block off plates, and fce making up the rest."
  • $100/hp...damn you yamaha
  • Na, not 160. Those mods should be good for 150-153 though.
  • click here for the basis of above

Just food for though.

BroHay

I would think that gutting both cats and doing airbox mod would still require you to get a pcIII. The airflow characteristics will have been changed thus requireing more fuel. Also if you gut the cats make sure to block off the AIS hose. Supposed to eliminate popping and backfireing on deceleration.

If i go back to your original question, "value in exhaust mods" Answer is it all depends what you want. I'd challenge that any of us really "need" the extra HP. For me it was about two things. First getting rid of that monstrosity of a can that Yamaha have to fit to comply with emissions etc. the other to make my Naked FZ1 sound like a street fighter. No contest a Carbon Two Brothers went on before it was delivered. Its AWESOME. Weighs next to nothing so power gained there, sounds almost unique, deep and throaty and then you hit 8k+ and it start to scream. For me growing up with Formula One the icing on the cake is the pop pop, burble as you decelerate Only down side is just about everyone in a mile radius knows where you are and what kinds of speeds you are clearly doing. I'll never buy anything else and have also just broken with tradition and put TB's on my R1 instead of Akrapovic. Fit them you will not be disappointed

Gents, so with the two brothers ... or any other slip on ... do we have to re-jet the Gen II FZ1 ? Or, is the stock fueling ok ? My dealer says you really dont have to, especially if your just looking for sound, look, drop the weight, which is all I am. I dont want to re-jet if i don have to.

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

the more proper term would be "Re-Map" for the Gen II, as there is nothing to jet....

on the Gen II, when you change the exhaust, even the slip-on, you're affecting the bike a considerable amount.... there is a catalytic converter in the muffler, so just changing that changes the flow characteristics significantly.. now.. you don't HAVE to change the map .... if you don't care about performance at all... but, in order for the bike to run "properly" ... yeah.... it's a good idea to go ahead and get the power commander.

Thanks.

Would the map, either running too lean or rich (if I dont go with the PCIII) "hurt" the engine at all ? Or is it ok.

Also, for a newbie mechanic is installing the slip on literarly just that .... bolt off stock, bolt on new? Or take to dealer for another $60 or whateve ?

Thaks !!

The bike will run leaner than from Stock but it will not "hurt" it as its not that far off. you must fit a PCIII (or above) if you then fit A K&N air filter. The cans are literally a slip on for the original. 30mins if that

MIVV Suono! Makes great sound and looks good!

I just spent the better part of two days researching slip-on exhaust systems and the benefit related to making the change. I checked the home sites of Yoshimura, MIVV, and Akrapovic. If you can believe their dyno charts, they all add some H.P. and TQ. However, without knowing exactly what the conditions were when the dyno run was made it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison, especially when their stock numbers have quite a variance. According to what I saw, the Akrapovic had the best numbers, and also the highest price. I happen to prefer the MIVV Suono, mostly because I just plain like the looks of it. Other people will prefer other brands/models for any number of reasons. In order to get the most out of any of the systems the rider will have to add a jet kit or PCIII or equivalent and a high flow air filter plus some dyno time if he wants to really make sure it's working the way he thinks it is. Bottom line is be prepared to spend about $1000 give or take a bit. Then I really have to ask myself if 10 or so H.P. is worth it. Probaly not, but when the aesthetics are factored in (lighter weight, personalization of appearance, etc.) maybe. I have to chew on this for a while.

MIVV Suono together with PC III an KN filter it kicks up the front wheel in first gear like it never did before, the sound is great and it fits the bike like hand in glove.
//Uffe

Back