Weird low RPM less power than before?

Hey, I am pretty new to this forum. I recently bought a 2007 FZ1 with 22k miles on it. I have had it for about 3 weeks or so now and it just developed a problem this morning. When I set off from a stop, the bike kind of stutters, gives no power, and stutters a bit until its able to get up to 5000 rpm then it goes back to normal like nothing happened. It didn't used to do this and I am wondering if anyone else has come across a similar issue. It almost sounds like the bike is on a lower rev limiter but still slowly climbing. This issue happens in for sure 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. I would assume that it happens in every gear before 5000 rpm, but I have not actually tested it. It does not happen at a stop, but the idle itself does sound a little more stuttered than before. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds either ignition (electrical) or fuel relatedI…can’t tell you exactly what it is, but a good place to start is coils and plugs. While it’s running spray or splash a bit of water on each header pipe one at a time to confirm they’re all firing…

If not then swap a coil from a hot one to the cold one to confirm it’s the coil. If they are all hot then I’d pull the plugs and inspect them and probably change em for good measure….

Then maybe fill it up with some good gas and maybe a little STP fuel treatment and go on a decent ride to cycle it through….

When you lift the tank make sure the fuel line is straight and not kinked. Make sure all the hoses are connected properly and make note of where they go for reassembly. It’s also a good time to inspect / replace the air filter…

If it still persists then I’d drain the oil and look for signs of the rotor magnets, maybe remove the Stator cover and inspect the rotor. There’s also a white connector I’ve read about but you’ll have to search that one…

Whatever the problem is I’m sure it’s been discussed and resolved on this forum before. Good luck and don’t “post n ghost”…let us know what it was…

Sounds either ignition (electrical) or fuel relatedI…can’t tell you exactly what it is, but a good place to start is coils and plugs. While it’s running spray or splash a bit of water on each header pipe one at a time to confirm they’re all firing…

If not then swap a coil from a hot one to the cold one to confirm it’s the coil. If they are all hot then I’d pull the plugs and inspect them and probably change em for good measure….

Then maybe fill it up with some good gas and maybe a little STP fuel treatment and go on a decent ride to cycle it through….

When you lift the tank make sure the fuel line is straight and not kinked. Make sure all the hoses are connected properly and make note of where they go for reassembly. It’s also a good time to inspect / replace the air filter…

If it still persists then I’d drain the oil and look for signs of the rotor magnets, maybe remove the Stator cover and inspect the rotor. There’s also a white connector I’ve read about but you’ll have to search that one…

Whatever the problem is I’m sure it’s been discussed and resolved on this forum before. Good luck and don’t “post n ghost”…let us know what it was…
Ok, Ill go pick up some plugs and new air filter for good measure.

Ok, Ill go pick up some plugs and new air filter for good measure.

It's a good place to start. Try that header heat check first before you do anything else just in case it's a coil...

And make sure your battery connections are good and tight too and it's fully charged...

etc etc etc...so many variables...

It's a good place to start. Try that header heat check first before you do anything else just in case it's a coil...

And make sure your battery connections are good and tight too and it's fully charged...

etc etc etc...so many variables...
Will do, but I am not very familiar with mechanical lingo or very mechanically inclined. Do you mean ignition coil? What does that look like and where?

After riding the bike some more, it sounds like under 5-6k rpm the bike is only firing on 2 cylinders. Like it sounds like a parallel 2. Then it kinda of sputters with the other 2 cylinders coming on intermittently until it's past 5-6k then it's normal. The sputtering only happens when the bike is in gear so I guess only when the engine is under load? Also, all 4 pipes sizzle when putting water on them.

I recently installed some heated grips on my 07, the negative battery terminal didn't get screwed on all the way and it ran fine for 2 days then started doing something similar. Something you can check. Just make sure the battery terminals are soild.

I recently installed some heated grips on my 07, the negative battery terminal didn't get screwed on all the way and it ran fine for 2 days then started doing something similar. Something you can check. Just make sure the battery terminals are soild.
Same thing after checking both of the battery terminals. Thanks for the idea tho.

I am not too sure what looks normal. Do these cables and hoses look fine?

Attachments

• bike 3.jpeg
    bike 3.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • bike 2.jpeg
    bike 2.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • bike 1.jpeg
    bike 1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Definitely! That poor bike could barely breathe!…

It looks like a critter nest. I’d make sure to look at all the exposed wiring that you can see and make sure nothing got gnawed on…
Welp, I cleaned out the gunk, didnt see any critters, and I still have the same issue. I didnt respray the filter because I forgot to before putting the tank back on, but I dont think that would affect this problem. Same issue as before with the clean filter.

Ok so I assume it’s K&N and reusable then? That’s odd because all the symptoms you describe can be caused from a dirty filter. I guess it’s time to inspect those plugs…

Ok so I assume it’s K&N and reusable then? That’s odd because all the symptoms you describe can be caused from a dirty filter. I guess it’s time to inspect those plugs…
Yeah, they are supposed to be reusable, not sure how much I trust that tho. So exited to really get into the bike. :l

Ok, turns out I didnt fix the problem, I have a new one that seems similar. All 4 cylinders fire now, but I may have damaged one of the ignition coils. Pic related. The coil still gives me spark so I am not sure if I should toss it. The new issue I have is that the bike idles fine, but it is very slow to rev and dosent rev that high. It stopped at maybe 6-7k rpm and is slow to get there even in neutral. I was about to double check all of the ignition coils and spark plugs are working. I thought maybe it would be the spark plugs being out of spec, but I re gapped them and I have the same issue. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• bike 5.jpeg
    bike 5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Back