Well, not an FZ1 but...

I am picking up this for my wife tomorrow. She will be a member by proxy. Who knows she may one day be on an FZ6...
2209d1268691669-well-not-fz1-but-img_0245.jpg

Per her the flames must go and they are decals so she will be getting a custom paint job. This is a 2007 Hyosung GT250R with only 41 miles. It is "new" and comes with factory warranty for $2750 out the door. I cannot think of a more affordable appropriate bike for her to learn on.

Immediate plans for the Hyo...
1.) After market clip ons to bring bars up and back.
2.) Lower an inch or so front & rear.
3.) Throw away frame sliders and bar ends.

Nope, she does not have the endorsement. Since last September Texas requires MSF course to get a license. They no longer do road tests with DPS. Just MSF course and 14 question computer exam. It used to be that you could do written exam and road test to get endorsement.

We will be spending the next few months in a parking lot even before she takes MSF. In group learning environments she has to be ahead of the curve or she gets discouraged.

So... We will not be riding together this season most likely. Unless of course she turns out to be a natural.

Last edited:
congrats! I used to sell these. They're surprisingly solid little bikes... for grins, I used to hop on the GT250 (Naked version) and play around with the local squids on their SS bikes.... you wouldn't believe how pissed someone on a GSXR 750 gets when they can't keep up with a 250 on a curvy road....

some more things you'll want to do:
1. Remove stock brake pads and throw in the trash. Stock, they use organic pads. The feel is mushy and inconsistent. Throw some DP Sintered pads on it.
2. If you notice a flat spot around 7k, it's because in order to get the bike past emissions, they epoxy over the vent hole in the gas cap... it's an easy fix, you remove gas cap, there are 2 screws on the bottom of the cap, and then you get into the guts of the cap, and you'll see the hole that has been epoxied over.
3. MAKE SURE the locating bolts are in the bottom of the clip-on perches. The way the bikes are shipped, the bolts that locate the clip-ons are thrown into a bag with the user's manual.... most dealers didn't know where they went, so they got tossed in the trash.
4. For the 1st service, you have to drop the fairing, and under the drain bolt, there is a plate... you have to take this plate off and clean out the screen... also, your first oil change should happen at about 200-250 miles... from the factory, they use organic oil to help the engine break in faster. ... DO NOT push that first oil change.

Check korider.com | Hyosung Motorcycle Owners Forum - Index for some good info.... there is a wealth of aftermarket stuff, and cross references there for brake pads, oil filters, etc.

Thank you so much for the info. It will come in handy. You are the 3rd person to recommend the korider.com site. Great testimonial. One of the people I trust more than anyone out of the group I ride with recently bought one of these and could not be happier. With both he and you giving a nod I am only that much more confident that I will not be disappointed with this decision. TYVM!

There are a couple of these around here Brad and I've heard a lot of good about them. You are VERY right. Can't find a better learning bike at a cheaper price. Nice find!

Aaron, that is really cool that you already know the caveats and can walk Brad through this. Good man! :tup:

There are a couple of these around here Brad and I've heard a lot of good about them. You are VERY right. Can't find a better learning bike at a cheaper price. Nice find!

Aaron, that is really cool that you already know the caveats and can walk Brad through this. Good man! :tup:

Yep, I am going to be hitting Aaron up with some questions for sure. He may even regret telling me he sold these.

Geez! I might have to look into one for my daughter. She's begging for a bike and wants to take the BRC. We might sign her up as her birthday present. ;)

I will post up some honest impressions in the review section after I receive and as I and my wife continue to become more familiar with it.

Last edited:
We sold Chinese quads and pit-bikes and were told the break-in oil was fish based oil, yes fish..... We always offered a free first oil change to the customer and then used Valvoline thereafter. All the Bolts are low-grade, so use with care and if ANY de-formation occurs toss 'em and replace. Also use mild soaps to clean the bike as the finishes are nice for a while but can quickly rub out. Use UV protectant on the rubber surfaces as their rubber is also suspect. Other than that, you'll be riding for a long time.

We sold Chinese quads and pit-bikes and were told the break-in oil was fish based oil, yes fish..... We always offered a free first oil change to the customer and then used Valvoline thereafter. All the Bolts are low-grade, so use with care and if ANY de-formation occurs toss 'em and replace. Also use mild soaps to clean the bike as the finishes are nice for a while but can quickly rub out. Use UV protectant on the rubber surfaces as their rubber is also suspect. Other than that, you'll be riding for a long time.

Just and FYI...Hyosung is a Korean brand not Chinese so quality should not be as bad as what you're describing.

We never sold the Chinese stuff for the reasons you describe... however, as said above, these aren't Chinese... they're Korean. ... BIG difference... totally different country and everything.

The fit and finish on the Hyosungs isn't quite up to par with the Japanese stuff... but remember... Hyosung is a HUGE multi-billion dollar company... they make everything from ATM machines to 90% of the material that goes into tires. Basically, they're a company with UNLIMITED R&D funds.

Some things are lacking on their bikes... but, for what they're designed to be (an entry-level bike) they do it well... For someone that has a lot of seat time on other bikes, you'd notice that the rear shock on the Hyosung models is lacking in adjustability and spring rate. As I said above, the stock brake pads are junk, and even with good pads, the calipers aren't on par with the Japanese goodies. Hyosung built a version of the GT650 that they were getting into the racing circuit with... and for calipers, they were using Tokiko.. which the Japanese are ripping off and replacing with Brembo...

Look into the History of Hyosung though... they're not at all new to this game. In the 70's Hyosung built many engines and components FOR Suzuki... There's a reason the 650 v-twin is very similar to the SV-650's motor... Hyosung designed it. ... They also manage to get more HP from their 650 than Suzuki does... and the 250's HP specs are quite impressive when compared to bikes of a similar size.... Having spent a lot of seat time on Virtually ALL of Hyosung's motorcycles and scooters... I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone looking for a good entry level bike.

My sons first ride is a Hyo 250gt (the naked version) We bought it after the previous owner dropped it for a steal of $1000. Has been a great first ride for him. I like it because it is a full sized bike not a mini 250 (like the Kawi) so therefore I feel he is easier to see him while riding. I would highly suggest getting rid of that boat anchor OEM exhaust. You can use it for building up biceps or for squatting in the gym but get a replacement can for your Hyosung. He got a Bruce exhaust which I think is out of business and is going under a new name now.

Parts can be pricey but as always EBAY is your friend! If you are patient deals can be made from shops who chop wrecked bikes and sell parts from them.

I wouldn't put this bike in the Chinese class at all, quality is much better. Hyosung was a Suzuki partner at one time and the frame is similar (if not the same) as the early SV650's.

Back