Western Power Sports 525HSO chain

Dustin

I just wanted to share the results of a recent experiment.

About 6000 miles ago, I bought a new chain and sprockets for my SV. I was sort of up in the air as to what chain to get and decided to take a chance with a chain from Western Power Sports (WPS) that was a bit lower on the price scale than the quality brands like DID or RK. I compared tensile strengths and read their marketing and decided to see just good or bad a cheap brand would be.

69-5800.jpg

The results were not good. I would constantly have to adjust it basically out of the box and as a result, I ordered a DID 525VX (the replacement for the VM) as I knew it would be in the trash soon enough. I managed 6000 miles out of the chain before it stretched itself beyond my adjustment range. A terrible result.

I know that I did it for an experiment and was kind of expecting this result but I'm still a bit let down. What a piece of shit. It was $75 when I ordered it and the DID I picked up from Riders Discount was only $95 on special!

Sure, it was a waste of money but at least I got to see for myself the difference between a quality chain and everything else. An expensive lesson ;)

Last edited:
Well good thing it wasn't a very expensive experiment. Unfortunately with those things it's hard to tell what you'll get in the end. I hope you were able to replace it yourself and not have to pay labor on top of it...

cheap+ dangerous= lifelessness

I'm still not convinced of that. I think had I been your average weekend warrior--riding 4000km a year on sunny days or something, it would have been just fine for that application.

I don't think it was so crappy that it was dangerous like the one stretched06 posted

The sad thing is that your new sprockets are already worn to the crappy chain.

This is true. Thankfully, good steel sprockets are very inexpensive for this bike.

I cant remember what it was . I got it from some shop off ebay for around $90. It caused 2500 dollars damage when it broke. if my wife would have been with me it would have hit her.

$90? Now that's interesting because that's basically what you would pay for a DID or RK chain. Did you ever contact the seller?

Last edited:
Back