What's The Consensus On Rotor Stator Replacement?

Jboat

So I just picked up another FZ1. It's a 2009 with 7,000 miles on it. I keep reading about these rotor magnet failures and I am wondering if this is something I should replace in the near future. Am I riding a ticking timebomb?
:oops:;)

Is this considered something that is a "must do" item just as a preventative measure? The bike runs like new and starts up perfectly fine. I just changed the oil and the old oil looked fine with zero visible particulates. I hate throwing parts at it when it's not something that needs to be done, but I have to say I may just do it for peace of mind...

Ironkev

Once you take it apart you'll understand Just how "catastrophic" it would be if one came loose

DaveC

I did mine today, wasn’t too bad of a job after watching a few YouTube videos And scribbling some notes.
of course stocker looked fine.
Oh well, one less thing to worry about.

Rooster

First thing i did when i got my bike.
I wouldnt have been able to enjoy riding the bike with that "time bomb" sitting there, ticking at me.
OEM upgrade cost me $530 here in Oz (yeah,i nearly shat myself) but now i can relax and enjoy riding knowing that a potentially catasrophic failure has been removed from my engine.
The original was in really good condition (32,000kms)...Although,the epoxy was starting to yellow somewhat (a sign of degrading??).
Its an easy job to replace the rotor (a little fiddly but straight forward).
Its definately worth it!

MIKEMINNOW

So I just picked up another FZ1. It's a 2009 with 7,000 miles on it. I keep reading about these rotor magnet failures and I am wondering if this is something I should replace in the near future. Am I riding a ticking timebomb?
:oops:;)

Is this considered something that is a "must do" item just as a preventative measure? The bike runs like new and starts up perfectly fine. I just changed the oil and the old oil looked fine with zero visible particulates. I hate throwing parts at it when it's not something that needs to be done, but I have to say I may just do it for peace of mind...
I would recommend replacing the stator flywheel. I just finished mine and it was really easy to do. Purchased wheel and gasket from RMSTATOR. It has the enclosed magnets. $212 for parts. received the parts in 3 days. They also have a how to video on YouTube. If you really enjoy your FZ spend the $$$ and about 1 hour labor. Great selling point if you ever sell the bike.

Skydancer

I would recommend replacing the stator flywheel. I just finished mine and it was really easy to do. Purchased wheel and gasket from RMSTATOR. It has the enclosed magnets. $212 for parts. received the parts in 3 days. They also have a how to video on YouTube. If you really enjoy your FZ spend the $$$ and about 1 hour labor. Great selling point if you ever sell the bike.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Rotor and a gasket from RMSTATOR they charged me $176.00! My bike is stationary right now, sent in the ICU to Vcyclenut today, ordered Yoshimura slip ons last night, and a new windshield. I’ll be busy this weekend.

Attachments