Whats your average ride time? Gen II FZ1

silentcropduster

Title says it all. I know it varies but I can only ride for about 2-3 hours max and my @$$ kills me. No back, neck, or hand pain. I have the "great day to ride" seat mod with supracor inserts, which helps dramatically. Bike is also lowered 1 in front & back.

What could I do to help with this? And I'm 5" 11" 185 pounds. So it's not as if though I'm 350 :)

double thumbin' it!

How much seat time would you say you have on the FZ1? Also, how much in general? I often find that while comfort mods do help, you also need to just get out and ride to get 'broken in', if you know what I mean.

It helps a lot to just ride and take frequent breaks. Eventually, you get less and less sore. My girlfriend started riding on the back of the bike last year and each subsequent trip she's become more comfortable. If you had asked her on week 1 if she could do a 500 km day, she would have said hell no. Now? No problem. No more sore butt, wrists, back after an hour or two.

Ride, ride, ride.

Try putting your bike back to the stock ride height. Also if you have the stock shock replace it with something better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much seat time would you say you have on the FZ1? Also, how much in general? I often find that while comfort mods do help, you also need to just get out and ride to get 'broken in', if you know what I mean.

It helps a lot to just ride and take frequent breaks. Eventually, you get less and less sore. My girlfriend started riding on the back of the bike last year and each subsequent trip she's become more comfortable. If you had asked her on week 1 if she could do a 500 km day, she would have said hell no. Now? No problem. No more sore butt, wrists, back after an hour or two.

Ride, ride, ride.
This is my 3rd bike, been riding for 5 years. I came from an 09 gsxr 750. I've put 6k miles on it in, purchased it end of last riding season (sept) in Ohio. I ride it avg of 3 to 4 days in every 7 day week. I know my Spencer seat has a break in but it's only a 1 to 2 tanks of gas he states b4 it's broke in.

double thumbin' it!

Try putting your bike back to the stock ride height. Also if you have the stock shock replace it with something better

What makes u say that about the ride height? It's actually more comfortable. I am getting ready 2 do the r1 shock adapter mod here soon.

double thumbin' it!

What makes u say that about the ride height? It's actually more comfortable. I am getting ready 2 do the r1 shock adapter mod here soon.

double thumbin' it!
When you lower the rear it shortens your travel . That R1 shock is gonna make a BIG difference and could solve your problem.
The R1 shock and adapter is gonna raise your bike about a 1/2 "
Good luck

When you lower the rear it shortens your travel . That R1 shock is gonna make a BIG difference and could solve your problem.
The R1 shock and adapter is gonna raise your bike about a 1/2 "
Good luck

That makes sense. I lowered the bike because I race and it helps with wheelies on the track plus it helps me flat foot slightly better. I heard it does raise the back 1/2 in though, I'll still try it out.

double thumbin' it!

That makes sense. I lowered the bike because I race and it helps with wheelies on the track plus it helps me flat foot slightly better. I heard it does raise the back 1/2 in though, I'll still try it out.

double thumbin' it!

Yeah dragstrip settings are terrible for the street .I have the R1 shock/adapter with a soupys rasing link ( adjustable dogbone ) rased 1" and it rides, corners, and wheelies great but i dont think it would do good at the strip

I know if I do long ride where all I do is sit in the one position I get sore, but I also get sore if I sit in theone position in my desk chair for too long. I plan my rides so that they are broken up with some twisties to get my but off each side of the seat & that helps a lot.

Not sure if this will help but I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds. I can ride 6 to 10 hours without butt trouble, now left shoulder is another story(torn rotator cuff and tendonitis). I have the stock seat on a 2012 and a 2008 R1 rear shock. I have the damping set about two clicks softer than factory and all other settings are factory.

I agree with Dicko that planted in one position causes some distress be it circulatory or pressure. I'm a road cyclist and as such have a toughen butt from many miles on those thinly padded narrow seats so in comparison the stock seat is like a sofa for me. What I do is vary how forward I lean over the tank. Doing that by pivoting at the hip really helps.

I have stock seat and I can go about 100 miles, or about 2 hours, on a leisurely ride before I just have to get off, but that's alright as it is usually time for lunch or gas break. My rides of 6-10 hours are long past, I'm usually out 4-5 hours which includes a nice lunch break, so stock seat is ok for me.

Last edited:
Penske shock, Top Saddlery seat and I only ever have to stop for fuel... I can ride all day long. Each fuel stop, hydrate and stretch....

I can do up to about 175/180 miles in a day before my body says to head in. That's the norm, although I have ridden longer with stops along the way. I have a Dirt Road Seat which makes a ton of difference on how I physically feel at the end of a ride.

Back