Where to Ride in VA?

As I sit watching the snow fall from the sky and accumulate on the ground, my thoughts turn to planning next summer's long weekend to keep from stamping my feet, tears in my eyes, crying about the injustice of not being born in SoCal, or some gorgeous coastal city in Northern Australia.
I live about 3 hours North of Watertown, NY. It looks like we'll be able to get away Thursday at 4PM or so, and will need to be home Monday night. We like to pile up the miles. We don't spend much time stopping for photos or smokes. Pretty much just fuel stops with us.
I've been looking at the miles and miles I twisty roads in Southern VA, and I'm intrigued. The Blue Ridge Parkway looks really cool, but I am worried we won't be able to keep our pace up. Does anyone know some good roads to ride in that area, sort of like a little known, higher speed BRP?
If we can cover the miles I think the rough plan is to blast South to Knoxville, TN or somewhere close, and then head for home staying in the mountains through VA, PA, and in to NY. Thursday after work and Friday would just be blasting along the Interstate covering ground, giving us all of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to stick to 2 lane roads.
If you're familiar with the area and don't mind sharing, I'm all ears. I you're local to anywhere along the route you're welcome to join us. Due to the tight timeline we can't really afford to do any loops, looking for good point to point roads. We haven't picked the weekend yet, but usually try for the middle of summer when it's hot, and just keep our eye on the forecast for a stretch of fair weather over a weekend. This is just a loose plan so far, any suggestions will be considered.

rt 56 - Google Maps
Check out rt 56... the speed limit is... :smoking: 55mph... I do not dare you to go that fast, no guard rails, steep drop-offs, and possible gravel (a few scout runs can be made to make sure it's clear)... but it is a nice road, with a posted speed limit that exceeds the fun factor... Spent a weekend at the Montibello Campgrounds, got to ride rt 56 a couple times... not being a speed demon, I just enjoyed the view, but we had some speed demons with us... two bikes down, exact same corner, they just lost focus and gazed at the patch of grass they didn't want to land in (which of course, they did).

video of someone on their FZ1 enjoying it
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ZwCfOpHFc]FZ1 Motorcycle Riding, Easten Rt 56 (Virginia) - YouTube[/ame]

If you vear over to W.VA, there are some really nice roads, with good speed limits, rt 33, rt 250, that whole area, beautiful scenery and nice roads.

Not looking to set any land-speed records, but we do like to keep the pace up. No need to have an emergency a day away from home. I'll check out these suggestions on Google Maps and see of we can make it work. The tight timeline makes it a challenge, but whatever it takes to ride...

Back