Why am i shaking past 95mph???

Hi everyone.
New member here. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions I've get.
My wife surprised me with an 06 Fz1. I can't tell you enough how much i love the bike…i ever ride her in 26 degrees…
Anyway, here is my problem- as soon as getting closer to 100 mph/ hour the bike starts to shake.I went to my local shop and i told them about it but of course they did not take the bike up to that speed..they adjusted the tire pressure - was very low- and for a while i thought it was fixed…although i never went over 100… now I've got the same issue. I know the recommended tp is 38-42 psi…but i was just wondering…what else could be the issue??

Again, thanks very much for the help in advance!!!!

Btw…are any riders from the new york area??

Thanks

When you say the front tire was 'very low', how low? Single digits? How long do you think you rode with the tire like that?

I have experienced cupped/scalloped front tires causing a shake or vibration at high speed and riding a bike for a fair distance with it quite low on air could cause that or worse, damage the tire

Take a photo of your front tire and post it here if you can. There are a number of things that can cause a shake and the tire is a huge factor in that indeed

PS. Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi and thank you for the quick response. No, it wasn't single digit- i would have noticed- in fact before i went to the shop i thought they were quiet hard. The mechanic said it was 28 psi..they did their part and besides the regular maintenance they also adjusted the tires. I would have been way happier if they took the bike out and take it up to high speed so they can experience what i meant. I bought the bike with fresh tires on so i don't think thats the issue…I'm flying blind at this point...:shaking head:

What he said. Riding in the cold, and if your store the bike in the cold, is gonna lower your pressures. You need to pay more attention to that or you get premature wear and hence scalloped or cupped tires.

Hi and thank you for the quick response. No, it wasn't single digit- i would have noticed- in fact before i went to the shop i thought they were quiet hard. The mechanic said it was 28 psi..they did their part and besides the regular maintenance they also adjusted the tires. I would have been way happier if they took the bike out and take it up to high speed so they can experience what i meant. I bought the bike with fresh tires on so i don't think thats the issue…I'm flying blind at this point...:shaking head:

Screw that....here the bike shakes....go run run it upto 100 and see. Only an idiot would take you up on it.

Have you seen ESPN? Come'on Man!!!

Got you man, and thank you. Yes, its pretty cold lately around here.
Since I've got her back i already adjusted the pressure…I'm gonna put her away for the winter..and most likely i will balance the tires in a few months..
I just hate the face that i have this amazing machine capable to do 100 in 2nd gear and i have to be careful….
Note- i am being careful regardless….having 4 kids do that to you!!!:eyebrow:

is it shaking when accelerating or decelerating? I know you said at about 100mph, but whats going on at that time.

How hard is it shaking?

Does it get worse when letting off throttle or better? Same when getting on the throttle more?

A few more questions to compliment JMundy's:

- What's the mileage on the bike?
- What is the make and model of the tires? You mentioned the front was new, are they both fairly new? What is the condition? Does it feel or look cupped?
- Have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel? Sometimes this can also cause a weave because the front is fighting the rear to track straight
- Does the bike ride straight and true if you take your hands off the handlebars?
- Is it stable under braking at low speed or does it 'hunt' around as you come to a stop?

Ok as soon as i reach 96 the bike start to get nervous…it shakes more while I'm accelerating..not as much when i let off the throttle..Dont think of some extreme earth shattering shake…i had bike that shook like a fall leaf even with the steering stabilizer on…quite honestly i don't think its coming from the front…otherwise the front wheel would be shaking…..
I don't know how to explain any better...

Ok as soon as i reach 96 the bike start to get nervous…it shakes more while I'm accelerating..not as much when i let off the throttle..Dont think of some extreme earth shattering shake…i had bike that shook like a fall leaf even with the steering stabilizer on…quite honestly i don't think its coming from the front…otherwise the front wheel would be shaking…..
I don't know how to explain any better...

So the bars aren't slapping around? So what do you think is shaking, is it the front or the bike?

If i have to make a judgement i would say…from the back end.Im hoping isn't anything internal.. The bike has 12k in it, and its been taking care of..to my knowledge….but you never know. The bike shop went thru everything and they assured me the bike is READY TO GO!!!
Yeah….up to 96...:tdown:

I never came across anything like it..Ive been riding pretty much my entire life and I've been thru a few downs…if you guys know what I'm talking about. I like to think i know my bikes and I'm capable to describe what is wrong with them…tip this point..
Thats one of the reason I've signed up here and ask you guys..

One way to rule out drivetrain issue: pull in the clutch and coast. If it's still shakes, it's the tires/bearings/balance.

Of course no testing of your issue is ideal .. since the problem only presents itself at high speed.

How is your suspension set? Incorrect spring or damping settings can make a bike a handful.

Set the suspension to the owners manual nominal and see if it helps.

Things to check

Tire balance

Tire cupping

wheel bearings

steering head bearings / adjustment

Chain / sprockets condition and alignment

Warped rotors

bent rim

Suspension is set up correctly

All suspension bolts linkage and bearings/bushings

One bad link in a chain at 100 mph can really shake a bike

I'd check tire balance first, its the most likely culprit

You seem to think its from the rear of the bike. So start with rear tire, balance, wheel bearing, chain, rotor, sprocket, all rear suspension bolts tightened to spec

Last edited:
One way to rule out drivetrain issue: pull in the clutch and coast. If it's still shakes, it's the tires/bearings/balance.

This is not necessarily true , chain, sprocket, output shaft and a host of other drive-train issues can still cause a problem even with the clutch disengaged. ( They all still have to spin even with the clutch pulled in )

Back