Yamaha FZ1S (2008) Engine noise?

B4zs1.

Hello guys, i’m new in the fazer world, i bought it yesterday, but i don’t think that should sound like that. Do you have any idea what can cause this? Valve clearance is bad or what? The bike have 55.000km/34.000miles. Running good, no issue, but that sound. The generator rotor is the upgraded one if it’s matter. I will took it to a mechanic asap but i’m a little bit worried that i did a mistake with the buying bc of this. And yeah, it’s a cold start.
Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/S9tQiOsMEcs?feature=share

I'm far from an expert but didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Maybe a slight rattling? 99.9% of the time, valves get too tight and don't make a noise. Only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps the CCTL is not putting enough pressure on the cam chain...

The sound that I hear from both sides of the engine sounds like my bike. My ears may not be the greatest, but I don't hear anything that scares me. Since Doc mentioned it, maybe I hear a faint rattling???? I don't know. I have about 3000 miles on a valve adjustment and very few miles on a new rotor. The "whirring" sounds are normal. If that sound is real, maybe a little bit of cam chain slop like Doc mentions.

I don't hear anything that scares me, but if the valves have never been adjusted and it bothers you, it may be worth the peace of mind to go ahead and get the valves inspected / adjusted. Doc is correct, when valves go out of spec on these, they will almost always get tighter, and should not be loose and noisy.

Part of the valve adjustment procedure is to replace the valve chain guides and reset / check the valve chain tensioner. The scheduled valve inspection is at about 30K miles, so it's not a bad idea. Mine went 45K miles before it's first adjustment, and it seems happy.

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, be sure you take it to a mechanic that you know you can trust. Interview the mechanic that will do the work. If the mechanic claims to be an expert that doesn't need no stinking service manual, or knows more about the bike than Yamaha, find another mechanic. It needs to be done right.

Whatever you decide to do, I think you are going to love this bike. Welcome to the forum!

I'm far from an expert but didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Maybe a slight rattling? 99.9% of the time, valves get too tight and don't make a noise. Only thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps the CCTL is not putting enough pressure on the cam chain...

I don’t know, the sound just feeled not right to me, but you and so many people on reddit says it’s normal, so i stopped worrying. There is another fresh video when it’s half warm, sound right to me. What do you think?

https://youtube.com/shorts/VgfpBRnnYAI?feature=share

The sound that I hear from both sides of the engine sounds like my bike. My ears may not be the greatest, but I don't hear anything that scares me. Since Doc mentioned it, maybe I hear a faint rattling???? I don't know. I have about 3000 miles on a valve adjustment and very few miles on a new rotor. The "whirring" sounds are normal. If that sound is real, maybe a little bit of cam chain slop like Doc mentions.

I don't hear anything that scares me, but if the valves have never been adjusted and it bothers you, it may be worth the peace of mind to go ahead and get the valves inspected / adjusted. Doc is correct, when valves go out of spec on these, they will almost always get tighter, and should not be loose and noisy.

Part of the valve adjustment procedure is to replace the valve chain guides and reset / check the valve chain tensioner. The scheduled valve inspection is at about 30K miles, so it's not a bad idea. Mine went 45K miles before it's first adjustment, and it seems happy.

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, be sure you take it to a mechanic that you know you can trust. Interview the mechanic that will do the work. If the mechanic claims to be an expert that doesn't need no stinking service manual, or knows more about the bike than Yamaha, find another mechanic. It needs to be done right.

Whatever you decide to do, I think you are going to love this bike. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you. I guess you guys are right, there is nothing wrong with the bike, maybe i’m just to paranoid about that. (10+ reddit member told the exact same as you so i just stopped worrying) There is a half warm footage, sounds good for me. What do you think?

https://youtube.com/shorts/VgfpBRnnYAI?feature=share

I think it sounds fine!

Do you know if the valves have ever been adjusted? Or if the CCTL has ever been replaced?

The bike is imported from Italy if i’m right, it has only 1 owner in my country, he had the bike for 5 years, ~20.000km, but he only mentioned the oil changes, but i’m going to ask him. I think i will check tensioner and the valve clearance just to be sure even it’s sounds good.

Back