Yamaha Gen II Lower fairing install/review

I want to remove my full fairing brackets and respray them as they need some tlc. This will mean removing those 4 oil pan bolts - is it safe to remove those bolts without draining the oil from the bike? I don't want to spring a leak of the black stuff just because I've stuffed up.

Also are there any tips or tricks I should know before removing those 4 bolts?
Thanks

You can remove them w/o draining the oil, but make sure you put the bolts right back once you remove the brackets. Otherwise, you'll end up with a nice puddle of oil...don't ask me how I know ;)

Interesting

First post. You guys are discussing the very thing I was going to post on.

See picture below. It appears the turn signals are bracketed out in front of the lower fairing. Yours have a hole in the fairing for the turn signals.

I wonder if there are different designs.

fz102.jpg

Yes, our fairings have the signal hole and the stalks go through and mount to the original position on the upper cowl. I like the No-Hole design better. :D

First post. You guys are discussing the very thing I was going to post on.

See picture below. It appears the turn signals are bracketed out in front of the lower fairing. Yours have a hole in the fairing for the turn signals.

I wonder if there are different designs.

Well I don't know what market those fairings are from, but the ones I've seen from the UK are the same as the ones here in the US. They have the holes for the turn signals.

Does this fairing help reducing the hot coming out from the engine? I felt uncomfortable on my lower leg & my bottom on long journey... + the hot country weather = damn hot man :eek:

Hope you can understand me.. sorry about my english.... :scared0016:

Does this fairing help reducing the hot coming out from the engine? I felt uncomfortable on my lower leg & my bottom on long journey... + the hot country weather = damn hot man :eek:

Hope you can understand me.. sorry about my english.... :scared0016:

Actually, the fairings would probably make the heat issue worse since they trap more of the heat coming off the headers and radiator.

If that so this fairing will be on my last wish list... Maybe it is just for the looks... But actually it looks nice on the bike. Give more touring looks just like the brother FJR.

Thanks for you info.... :sport12:

Has anyone found a front turn indicator that is small enough to stay in place while the lower fairing is removed?

I love the Watsen LEDs I got before I got my lower fairings - to keep using them, I ended up cutting part of the OEM signal stalk to make a spacer for them. It took a while to trim them just right to sit flush with the fairing, but I can now take the fairing off/on without touching the signals:

P1040201.jpg

P1040204.jpg

P1040346_zps8a353761.jpg

Hello DERJ. What type/brand of frame sliders are you usng with your full fairings? Also did you have to cut the plastics to mae them fit? Thanks.

Hello DERJ. What type/brand of frame sliders are you usng with your full fairings? Also did you have to cut the plastics to mae them fit? Thanks.

I'm using Graves frame sliders for 07-08 R1s - I preferred these over the Shogun sliders because they have notches that keep them from spinning when tightening the bolts.

With a few extra washers, they fit well, but I still had to trim one little spot on the fairing (1/8")

Thanks for the info. I ended up going to my local Honda dealer of all places as I have a buddy who works there and aked if they have some different types of frame sliders for me to look at and try. Tried a few different ones but found that a set from a Honda CBR125 fit great. Just had to drill the mounting hole bigger ad shorten the 30mm long spacer for the lower fairing. I've been back to my Yamaha dealer since and thought they were OEM! Brand is Lightning Performance for the CBR125. I'll try and post some pics soon as.

DERJ,
Your bike looks great. Would you mind posting up a closer view of your signal setup? That seems like a great idea. How much space is left between the fairing and the flush mount? Any vibration noise between the parts? Thanks

I love the Watsen LEDs I got before I got my lower fairings - to keep using them, I ended up cutting part of the OEM signal stalk to make a spacer for them. It took a while to trim them just right to sit flush with the fairing, but I can now take the fairing off/on without touching the signals:

P1040201.jpg

P1040204.jpg

P1040346_zps8a353761.jpg

That's a great idea, I have installed some LED turn signals and it can only be seen from the side. I've been thinking of adding signals to the headlight but this would be a smart idea too.

Thanks.:shine:

I was thinking to try some wing mirrors with the in built indicator, & forget the others, anyone tried it? I also found that on the OEM indicator, if you zip tie the two rubber ears together & spray with silicone, they re-fit much easier.

Back