Yamaha going to triple

What Thessler said:

Back to the original ideas for a new FZ1. Make it light and smooth with a decent seat and wind screen. Make it handle and give it decent gas mileage. Make it sound good and look good. That might be easiest to do with a triple and some rubber mounted bars and pegs. Make mine red - my favorite color!

I'm 72, and my days of mountain road strafing are way behind me. I still like to bend it, but I do have chicken strips. And I really love grabbing a handful of throttle and watching the tach head to the red zone. I want speed, precision and comfort. And I believe that is possible to achieve and still keep a reasonable price tag. BMW takes their R1200 series and makes a naked bike, a touring bike and an adventure bike from the same platform. They used to make the R1150RS and the R1100s - both really nice sport tourers. But they replaced those with the R1200ST, a wonderful, bike but a really ugly one. Abysmal sales were due to the uglies, not the concept.

Yes, BMWs cost at least half again as much as the FZ1, but that;s not the point. It isn't the extension of the design to three different models, it's just the BMW thing. And, in fact, it gives them access to a wide range of buyers.

Like Thessler, I want that new triple with a half-fairing, footpegs that don't make my boots bump my ass, and a seat that's good for more than 100 miles of comfort. Oh, and how about 1200cc and 500 lbs. Nobody is building this bike, and many of us are getting to the point that we want it and would buy it. I'll take mine in the faser blue livery, please.

Well, they didn't convince me to run to the dealership to put a cash down on one... not a big notch over the FZ8, if any and mught end up more expansive than a FZ1. Being a Yamaha that would be a bullet proof ride for sure but did Yamaha sort the bike out right out the box or it will need another 2K of update like the other ones? I'll wait for few review... still hope for a Xplane FZ1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

The Fz8 has a very poor engine, I test rode one for 200 miles (a whole day tour) and was really shocked it is simply horrible at that time I still had a Fz6 and preferred it by far, in comparison the Fz1 I checked out the next day convinced me completely.

The new triplet will be much cheaper than the Fz1 less than 8000 Euro in Germany thats cheaper than the Fz8 and much cheaper than the Fz1. Looking at the bike and the price it would be very important to check the suspension of the bike, they have to save at some point. Let's see what it will cost in the US.

Ah one problem will be the very small tank.

The Fz8 has a very poor engine, I test rode one for 200 miles (a whole day tour) and was really shocked it is simply horrible at that time I still had a Fz6 and preferred it by far, in comparison the Fz1 I checked out the next day convinced me completely.

The new triplet will be much cheaper than the Fz1 less than 8000 Euro in Germany thats cheaper than the Fz8 and much cheaper than the Fz1. Looking at the bike and the price it would be very important to check the suspension of the bike, they have to save at some point. Let's see what it will cost in the US.

Ah one problem will be the very small tank.

$7.990 US Price.

Paper comparison is one thing, but you have to ride them back to back to really compare. Usually I try to rent a bike for a day before I buy it, back when I was in Germany most dealer did this for a reasonable fee which usually was waived when you bought the bike from them. No idea if this is possible here in the US, i bought my Fz1 used because they are ridiculous cheap here ;).

" Compared to the outgoing Yamaha FZ8, the FZ-09 makes four more lb-ft of torque and weighs a stunning 53lbs less. The new bike’s chassis is slightly sharper thanks to reduced trail. It accomplishes that even while achieving roomier ergonomics "

I bet some fz8 owners are not real happy right now, cheaper, a bit more power, I'll assume a torque monster and 53lbs lighter !!!

" Compared to the outgoing Yamaha FZ8, the FZ-09 makes four more lb-ft of torque and weighs a stunning 53lbs less. The new bike’s chassis is slightly sharper thanks to reduced trail. It accomplishes that even while achieving roomier ergonomics "

I bet some fz8 owners are not real happy right now, cheaper, a bit more power, I'll assume a torque monster and 53lbs lighter !!!

They are a bit grumpy.

I'm looking forward to the 3 in an SS chassis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I guess Yamaha corrected the mistake they did with the Fz8, it was not really selling well at least in Europe.

You can't really compare FZ8 / FZ9. Two entirely different machines. I own a 2011 FZ8 and there is nothing at all bad about that motor. Smooth, quiet and has more power than a sane person will ever need. Clutch needs attention but that's all. I also Own a 2012 FZ1. Think I like the FZ8 better. Bough the FZ1 for a more hi-way friendly ride. Almost regret my decision. Fz1 Has more vibes and a noisy trashy sounding motor but does have more torque/HP and taller gearing. :2cents:

I'll miss the FZ8 but Yamaha had to go to market with a triple to compete.

You can't really compare FZ8 / FZ9. Two entirely different machines. I own a 2011 FZ8 and there is nothing at all bad about that motor. Smooth, quiet and has more power than a sane person will ever need. Clutch needs attention but that's all. I also Own a 2012 FZ1. Think I like the FZ8 better. Bough the FZ1 for a more hi-way friendly ride. Almost regret my decision. Fz1 Has more vibes and a noisy trashy sounding motor but does have more torque/HP and taller gearing. :2cents:

I'll miss the FZ8 but Yamaha had to go to market with a triple to compete.

It's obvious to all and sundry that your beloved FZ8 was a Yamaha after thought that never worked and now only 2 years later is being replaced.
Prefer it over your FZ1, please...

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's obvious to all and sundry that your beloved FZ8 was a Yamaha after thought that never worked and now only 2 years later is being replaced.
Prefer it over your FZ1, please...

Aw come on, that's so poopy. It's a cool bike!

Besides, the FZ8 was an afterthought of a cobbled together parts bin bike that took 6 years to get sorted properly

I'd still have either one in a heartbeat, they're wicked awesome :woot::woot:

Last edited:
I may have been a little harsh but he was dissing our FZ1's.
I don't care for the FZ8 but that new MT
/FZ-09 looks sweet as.

Sent from my GT-I9300

The more I read about this new MT, the more excited I get. People are saying it's going to be the Honda Hawk or SV650 of this decade.

"A bike of the people" is something I saw on ADV Rider. :sport12:

Aw come on, that's so poopy. It's a cool bike!

Besides, the FZ8 was an afterthought of a cobbled together parts bin bike that took 6 years to get sorted properly

I'd still have either one in a heartbeat, they're wicked awesome :woot::woot:

FZ1 didn't take 6 years to sort out. It took 1 year. 07s already had the throttle snatch taken care of and later years were just incremental refinements. All FI bikes these days have the snatch including the Ninja 1000 that takes an FCE to fix it.

FZ8 was never meant to replace the FZ1, so not a fix per se either ...

Back