Yamaha going to triple

I still dont understand the FZ8in the line up. I think they should have just made the FZ1N available here. For me the 1 makes so much more sence than the 8 but I might have my blinders on.

What confuse's me about why they did the 8 at least here is it is the same bike as the 1 to the 95% mark then less suspension and less motor for what a grand less than a new 1 or more than a left over 1. I just dont see it.

I don't disagree with you, but I think once Yamaha got rid of the FZ6 they felt they needed a naked middle-weight bike and the FZ8 fit the bill.

I know that I push things fast, but that is just how I've always done it. I jump into something 100% till I feel I've got about 90% of it down and then I get bored and move on. I push the limits of whatever I am doing to see how much I can get out of it, while I'm still interrested.

I in no way meant that I would master the Fz1 in just 5-10 months. My long term plan is to hang on to my Fz1 for sentimental reasons as well as I think the bike can serve just about all the purposes I want in a motorcycle with the exception of not being good on dirt (Super tenere or Hypermotard or DRZ400sm going from more mature to least mature) and long distance touring (seat kills me after about 45 min and I would have to get a fairing back on it, G1200GS or Multistrada/Hyperstrada or RT1200R with full kit)

The Tuono V4R has all sorts of gadgets/tech options on it, that make me interrested and I would wait 2-3 years to get one used and watch for any major issues with all the new gadgets/tech.

And I don't think going to the track means being reckless, in fact I see it as the opposite. It's a more controlled environment to put the skills to a test and learn about myself and the motorcycle. Pushing it on back roads or busy highways would be irresponsible and reckless. I mean I just took the ARC to learn new techniques and have even gone out and applied them already. I just take a more academic approach and then go out to test in the real world, much like a physics class, I come here for the information and debate, then I got out in the lab.

Anyway the Tuono V4R is an amazing looking bike and sounds like it's very spec friendly for an aggressive riding style as well as having the ability to turn it down for one's own self preservation.

I guess the sad thing about how this thread has gone is that I'm looking at what Yamaha is about to do and not getting really excited. I started looking at the Fazer bikes back in 2006 and unfortunately was prevented from getting in the sport until now. I've read enough threads on enough forums to see that the Yamaha has it's limitations and other bike manufacturers are out there doing things that are looking pretty impressive. The nicest thing about the Yamaha is it's sticker price. You get a quality product for a relatively easier dent in your wallet.

Cheers

From reading your posts, I bet you wouldn't be on a FZ1 in a year from now ;). There are no shortcuts to learning skillful riding unless you are Valentino Rossi ...

From reading your posts, I bet you wouldn't be on a FZ1 in a year from now ;). There are no shortcuts to learning skillful riding unless you are Valentino Rossi ...

I agree no shortcuts, but riding as much as possilbe whenever possible never hurts. I wonder if the same idea of the 10,000 hour rule applies to mastery as it does to any other practice/field.

And I plan on keeping the Fz1 and getting 1 or 2 more bikes.

I don't disagree with you, but I think once Yamaha got rid of the FZ6 they felt they needed a naked middle-weight bike and the FZ8 fit the bill.

Agree. The gap between the 6R and FZ1 is way too much. The FZ8 is not a bad ride. I think it fit perfectly in the line up. I agree that there's not a big difference between the 8 and 1. But once the FZ1 finally get an update the whole Yamaha line up will make better sense.

Agree. The gap between the 6R and FZ1 is way too much. The FZ8 is not a bad ride. I think it fit perfectly in the line up. I agree that there's not a big difference between the 8 and 1. But once the FZ1 finally get an update the whole Yamaha line up will make better sense.

The gap is about 30 hp. The guys there said their bike stock dyno'd at 96 hp. and I think I've read on here that guys have dyno'd at 129. Also the Fz1 feels just a little bit bigger.

I wonder, has anyone taken an R1 and put Fz1 forks and handle bar on it. All the stuff I've read on the cross-plane 4 sounds amazing. My body just doesnt' work with the clip on setups.

Well I rode the Fz8 for a day and did not like it at all! The engine is IMO really bad. It does not feel as free as the Fz6 or the Fz1, no top end rush. So that would be fine if there would be enough torque and smooth behavior in the low and mid range but instead it has a very bumpy power band. Maybe they changed this now but in 2011 it was really not comparable to the Fz1.

I wonder if it's a smart idea to kill the current FZ1, redesign it and continue producing the FZ8 on its current platform. If they have tons and tons of left over FZ1 and FZ8 components, they could continue to manufacture the FZ8 without much cost. Perhaps with an all-new FZ1, the FZ8 could receive the uprated components of the 1

I think the 700-800 cc category is a good one and I hope they keep the 8 around!

Yamaha has somehow never got their engine and powerbands right since the early 2000s resulting into coarse bikes which buyers have to eventually mod and let the aftermarket OEM feast on their $$$. Wonder what has gotten into their street engine R&D???

I know my next bike most likely won't be a Yamaha. I am frankly tired of modifying every Yamaha I have owned.

Well the fz8 was a good idea, having a more torque, street oriented bike compared to the fz6 and match power wise with the kawasaki and street triple and the Italian bikes. However they messed up the engine, it simply does not deliver and most new bikers by the Fz6r instead because the engine is better and the bike even cheaper.

I guess it makes perfect sense for Yamaha to construct new triple engines and make a new collection of bikes. Maybe this radical change was planned already some time ago and they used up all the Fz1 parts until they were ready. That might have been the reason why the Fz1 was not updated and the Fz8 used mostly the same components.

Who knows. More torque bikes with the power in the street usable range would sell much better than the current supersport bike like Fz1. I mean even in 2nd gear you are far off the legal speeds when the power comes finally alive.

Little update. Helping out someone on the FZ8 forum. 2007-8 R1 cam fit right in... Kind of cool. Still an on going project (waiting on valve shims...) but they fit in there. That might be interesting...

Sounds like Yamaha is trying to use the triple to rev up it's marketing like they did back in the day with the 5-valve engine. There was no real advantage to it, but if four valves were good then five had to be better. Eventually they abandoned that. And they have produced a triple before, but now Triumph and MV Agusta have already beaten Yamaha to the punch so I doubt it will have the impact that they hope for. The last great idea Yamaha had was the EXUP valve ;)

I couldn't agree more. Lower cost, broader power band, and a narrower packaging are probibly top reasons.........I love triples myself having had a 02 955 daytona an 01 Sprint RS and still have good ooooold Speedy a 96 900 Speed triple....what a tank. It is becoming a collectors bike so I'm not going to let it go. Triples have a really nice ballance of torque an HP and the Daytona had respectable top end rush........Personally I would love Yamaha to build a 750 triple. There is so much more technology than when the old xs 750 was released back in 76. Ford's New 1.0L 3 cylinder in the Festiva uses NO ballance shaft. They acomplished better secondary ballance by strategicly locating the counter weights and is reported to have very smooth operation. Ford has worked with Yamaha before when Yamaha built the SHO engine in the Taurus so it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Last edited:
Triple, V4, I4, parallel twin, just not a V-twin. I've never liked V-twins, especially for sport bikes. I know Ducatti and Buell try V-twins in sport bikes, but it never really works. I'm not much of a fan of twins at all, unless it's a specific purpose bike that just needs gobs of torque at the expense of anything else. (pulling stumps, etc.) :box: And if you need that, I like the singles. Good ol' thumpers. I guess it just reflects my subtle dislike for cruisers. Not that I hold anything against people that own or like cruisers or V-twins, I'm just saying they are not for me and the others just don't make much difference to me (I lean toward the 4's, inline mostly, but V-4's can be awesome, just ask Aprilla). :hook2:

I think the only thing that could really excite me in the engine department is to see street-able 2-strokes again! The tree huggers have killed that dream. I'm afraid even if they somehow make a comeback, they just won't be the same without the blue smoke mosquito fogging effect. :rant: :stirpot: :cowboy:

I think the only thing that could really excite me in the engine department is to see street-able 2-strokes again! The tree huggers have killed that dream. I'm afraid even if they somehow make a comeback, they just won't be the same without the blue smoke mosquito fogging effect. :rant: :stirpot: :cowboy:

If 2 strokes ever made a comeback they would be so neutered they would be very uninteresting. We are going in the opposite direction, people trying to push electric vehicles (cars and bikes) on us.

If 2 strokes ever made a comeback they would be so neutered they would be very uninteresting. We are going in the opposite direction, people trying to push electric vehicles (cars and bikes) on us.

Unfortunately, you are totally correct. Nothing like a 15 minute fill up... AT BEST! Who would tolerate a 5 min fill up? I don't think your employer will (or should) put charging stations in every parking spot (tree huggers seem to think this will happen and some how be free to them) : owned:

I walked straight past the HD and electric booths at the motorcycle show. No interest in either for me.

I have high hopes for the triple (at least for street bikes and more usable lower end), but low expectations.

Unfortunately, you are totally correct. Nothing like a 15 minute fill up... AT BEST! Who would tolerate a 5 min fill up? I don't think your employer will (or should) put charging stations in every parking spot (tree huggers seem to think this will happen and some how be free to them) : owned:

I walked straight past the HD and electric booths at the motorcycle show. No interest in either for me.

I have high hopes for the triple (at least for street bikes and more usable lower end), but low expectations.

They make some pretty sweet electric supermotos and streetbikes. Plus you get all the torque right then. There isn't the waiting tell 6-8k like a I4 before take off. They are still a ways off before being practical but when millage is extended I would love to have one. The BRD supermoto looks sweet.

Back