Yoshimura full R77 looking for map advice

dugancFz1

Tuesday I installed a Yoshimura R77 full exhaust.
Previously my setup was as follows:
2009 Fz1
Lars Mod
K&N
AIS plugged
De-Cat
Two Brothers
PC V
16/47
Lars Map primarily used

So after wrestling with my new to me carbon fiber belly pan for 1.5hr, I loaded the Lars Stage II map which is what I was running on my bike prior to putting on the full Yoshimura R77 system, which came as a recommendation from Duken4evr.
The bike felt worse than when I was running my slip on, almost felt like when I had the slip on and no PC V.
Throttle response felt abrupt, getting back on the throttle after a shift felt crappy. And to me at low RPM's (4k and lower) cruising speeds around town (45 mph or less) to me the bike did not sound right. I got into it twice and first gear and front end came very easy, actually caught me off guard it came up at such a low speed.

One point of concern, I was in second gear only going 28-30mph and whacked the throttle wide open, it sounded like the bike was detonating?.... But it is kind tough to tell because the Yoshi sounds a lot different then the Two Brothers I had on before and there seems to be more air box noise in general
Granted this is the first time I have ridden my bike with the Yoshimura, but still it sounded off to me.

I rode home, loaded the Jondaddy Stage III map and right away the roll on throttle response felt better and to me the bike sounded better at cruising speeds. Felt better getting back into the throttle after shifting. Same as before getting into it in first gear front end came up very easy, earlier than it used too! The throttle response and the sound of bike still seemed a little off and I performed the same 2nd gear, 25-30mph hard acceleration and again it sounded like it was detonating. Again with what sounds like more intake noise all around it is kind of tough to tell.

Rode home and loaded Andy's Stage IV map, right the bike felt the best it has with the full Yoshimura. Throttle felt less abrupt, sounded the best at cruising rpms (4k or less). Cruising on a two lane road at 55-65mph it felt good and it sounded better. Rolling on it slightly while cruising around 40mph was very smooth with what seemed like more intake noise.
I did notice in 6th gear at ~65mph going to wide open throttle seemed maybe a touch slower than the Lars stage II map. Once again performing the same 2nd gear 25-30mph hard acceleration test the results were pretty much the same as the Lars Stage II.
A lot on intake noise and again what sounds like detonation?

Current setup:
2009 Fz1
Lars Mod
K&N
AIS plugged
Yoshimura R77 full system
PC V
16/47
Andys Map primarily used

Thanks for letting me know what map you are using and how it is working. I need to put an map on my bike and I didn't know which one to use. I appreciate it.

Custom maps are great; however, I would rather pay for the Ivan ECU flash and use his map for that kind of money.

Thank you for the valuable input, most helpful.

says the guy asking for advice and two people telling you the same thing is generally re-enforcement that that advice is sound. nice pick on the r77 it's a sweet exhaust, once you have it running right you'll love it.

if you're using a pc you need a custom fuel map to get it dialed for you bike. doesn't matter what you do if the fueling isn't dialed for your mods it's not going to perform as it should. period.

mabbot, ivans ecu flash is great. his fuel maps, are rich, and need to be tweaked for your bike or you'll have the exact same problems the OP is having.

pony up the dough, save for awhile for it, and get a custom fuel map done by a dyno tuner that has experience on your bike, with whatever fuel tuner you're using, and shows you the air fuel ratios with the graphs. numbers dont matter as much as the curves do.

says the guy asking for advice and two people telling you the same thing is generally re-enforcement that that advice is sound. nice pick on the r77 it's a sweet exhaust, once you have it running right you'll love it.

if you're using a pc you need a custom fuel map to get it dialed for you bike. doesn't matter what you do if the fueling isn't dialed for your mods it's not going to perform as it should. period.

mabbot, ivans ecu flash is great. his fuel maps, are rich, and need to be tweaked for your bike or you'll have the exact same problems the OP is having.

pony up the dough, save for awhile for it, and get a custom fuel map done by a dyno tuner that has experience on your bike, with whatever fuel tuner you're using, and shows you the air fuel ratios with the graphs. numbers dont matter as much as the curves do.

I believe that you have had the same response to one of my posts before.....
Which after trying a few different maps my bike ran pretty darn good on the Lars map.
Until the bike is dyno tuned I would like to get it running as well as possible, hence why I'm asking the questions that I am asking. So if someone can offer some input regarding post #1 of this topic that would be most helpful!

You can try many different maps for your bike, they may get close, but there is nothing like getting the ECU flashed and a custom map for your bike. That is really the only way to go.

Back