'07 just died....

Deftone

My '07 has had a slightly fluctuating idle speed lately and stalled a couple times at stop lights.

On my way to work this morning it died once. It restarted and I cranked up the idle a bit then as I turned into work it just died. No lights, no motor, just dead. Turned the key off and on again and everything came back on. Hit the starter button and it dies again.

I pushed it into a parking space and checked the battery, connections are tight. I'll put a voltmeter to the battery when I get home but I think it's got to be a bad ground or a short?

Any ideas...?

My '07 has had a slightly fluctuating idle speed lately and stalled a couple times at stop lights.

On my way to work this morning it died once. It restarted and I cranked up the idle a bit then as I turned into work it just died. No lights, no motor, just dead. Turned the key off and on again and everything came back on. Hit the starter button and it dies again.

I pushed it into a parking space and checked the battery, connections are tight. I'll put a voltmeter to the battery when I get home but I think it's got to be a bad ground or a short?

Any ideas...?

Is that by chance the original battery???

As Dustin said, it may be showing voltage but when under load it fails. From 2007, I'd say it may be time for a fresh battery. Your looking at 6 years now. Even though you "tender" it now, who knows if the P.O. did the same.

Definitely NOT the original OEM battery.

Turned on but would not turn over at work.

Got it home and it fired up.

Battery tests:

12.34v ignition off
14.02v at idle
14.33v while revving

12.34v ignition off
14.02v at idle
14.33v while revving

You would need to test the battery on a load tester because hooked up to a bike with a working charging system won't reveal anything, I think. If the system is putting out the correct voltage, you will read that from your volt meter. Even if you're seeing 12v while it's off, it may not have the amps to start the bike either. I have had this problem before

It does sound like a battery at the end of it's life, though.

Last edited:
Would turning the bike on and putting the high beam on (engine off) work?

Nope, Need a load test, Your voltages look good. Also, check at like 6K rpm. Should be around 14.5VDC or so. A load test is the only way. Also, be careful on buying the cheap batteries plus battery. I had two in a row bad from them and the second one dripped acid on my chain and swing arm.
Good luck

Thanks everyone for your input.

It does actually start now, but I certainly don't trust it enough to ride it anywhere.

I'm assuming I can take the battery to an Auto parts store and have them load test it.

Or get my own tester...
41DwVt1qhSL._SY300_.jpg

I've had good luck with a Shorai L.I. battery in my GSX-R track bike so I might go that route.

Last edited:
Glad that it seems to be working out for you. I think that I would have just saved the $$$ on the tester, and invested it in a new battery. Your Gixxer battery wouldnt work?

For the record, my 07 is on the OEM battery with 46K and no problems.

We have seven vehicles requiring a total of eight batteries, the Battery load tester will pay for it self easily.

My guess is the aftermarket battery that was in the bike when I bought it sat for a long time and discharged. Also, the ground wire was loose when I bought the bike as well, probably not helping anything. The lock washer on the negative terminal was charred clean through.

There was also a brass spacer on the positive terminal. I don't remember that from my last FZ1.

I just bought a battery charger from HF today for $40 with a 20% off coupon. My two year old stock battery is beginning to fail, so I want to be prepared. Could have used a charger in the past, but never bought one.

Going to keep my battery on trickle and hopefully can get a few more years out of it. If not I think a $40 special from ebay will get me through the next couple of seasons.

You gotta love HF.

I found with lead acid batteries leaving them on a Battery Tender extends the life quite a bit.

The Shorai LI battery is new to me, but so far has been working very well. I've had one in my GSXR for about a year now, used every few months or so. It fires right up instantly every time and saved me about 5 lbs. Worthwhile investment for a track bike, IMHO.

Back