09 Fz1 Stator Cover Replacement

Let me preface this by saying that my motorcycle mechanic skills are limited to me replacing the chain on my previous bike (92 Seca II) and accessing the carbs on the same bike under the watchful eye of my much more mechanically inclined buddy.

Anyway, I ordered a new stator cover, plug, o ring and gasket because of a wreck (low speed slide).

I got the stator cover off, removed the three star bit bolts in the middle, and was LOST. I couldn't get the thing with the gears to come off and didn't want to bang or hammer on it.

I said screw it, put it back together and the last bolt wouldn't go in (lesson learned...don't try to use the old gasket). I took it back apart, put the new gasket on, and now I can't get it back together.

Help!!!! Advice (or instructions) needed.

(in summary, old stator cover is on there w the new gasket, new plug, and new o ring. Gotta figure out how to fit it back in so I can ride temporarily, or get it to someone w a better skill set than I. I still need to put the new cover on and I guess get another gasket).

I can't think of a reason that the cover won't come away unless;

1.) The wire lead for the brushes are fed through the cover like on my old FZ. (through a rubber filler block)

2.) The wires that follow underneath have tabs that attach to the cover.

3.) The gasket is not aligned (why the bolt might not go in)

As for the bolt not going back in, it is possible that either the threads are damaged, or there is dirt in the hole or on the threads. The bolts may be a different length depending on the hole location. Make sure that the bolts and threads are clean and in the right location. I will try to look up a schematic online, or will check my manual when I get home.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmo...ranite-gray-ca-ed-fzs10ycg/o/m19026#sch646173

Whatever you do don't force anything. The price of the fix goes up exponentially if you do.

Last edited:
There's a tab w a bolt thru one end tht holds the wire in place. I took tht off. The wire runs underneath and thts where I got stuck.

I wound up getting it back together with a lot of wiggling and a lot of cussin.

Neither the service nor the repair manuals gave very good instruction.

Hmm...is there a Haynes manual out for the 09s yet?

There's a tab w a bolt thru one end tht holds the wire in place. I took tht off. The wire runs underneath and thts where I got stuck.

I wound up getting it back together with a lot of wiggling and a lot of cussin.

Neither the service nor the repair manuals gave very good instruction.

Hmm...is there a Haynes manual out for the 09s yet?

Check the link that I added to the above post. I could not find a schematic that showed the generator cover though. On my old FZ you had to slide the rubber block out of the cover (that held the wire lead for the stator into the cover). Check your new cover for a comparison, it should have a small square notch where it slides in. The brushes were also held in with a clip that had 2 screws that had to be removed in order to remove the cover (near inside center). I suspect that the new one has a similar design.

I have not had my 2008 FZ apart yet thankfully, but I have had my FZ 600 apart a few times for stator problems. There was not much free play until you got the wire lead loose.

According to my service manual, under removing the generator, 1. remove plug, remove generator rotor.

NOTE; while pushing on generator rotor, remove the generator rotor cover.
loosen each bolt 1/4 turn at a time, in stages and in a crisscross pattern
after all bolts are fully loosened, remove them.

For whatevr reason, it sounds like that cover must be taken off and installed in a maner than it stays really parallel to the case you are mating it with.

I felt lucky to get it back together and working w/out any leaks, so I'm goin to have a mechanic look at it while they're doing more work to the bike.

Thanks for the help. I searched far and wide and couldn't come up w/ any additional info.

Back