1100 miles and nail in rear tire

cueist

I just noticed I have a nail in my rear tire. My 08 fz1 came with the Michelen Pilot roads. I know most everybody agrees that to fix a motorcycle tire is not a good idea and replacement is the only option. My local Yamaha dealer does not have pilot roads but pilot powers and wants $254.00 for a rear 190/50 zr17 ,plus $60.00 to mount and balance. Over a $300.00 expense with so few miles kinda sucks. :mad:
I went ahead and pulled the nail and plugged the tire for a temporary fix and do not planning on driveing over 60mph untill I get my new tire in. I found the Pilot road for $159.99 with free shipping at this site Jake Wilson
Did a lot of searching and think they have the cheapest prices. I also found a local motorcycle shop that will mount and balance for $63.00 so this is the route I am going. The dealership will not mount tires unless you buy from them.
Anyway anybody out there have any similar experience or recommendations? How hard is it to mount and balance a wheel yourself? Any ideas.

I had the same issue at 3000 miles on my 08, nail in the rear. Yanked the wheel off, took it to Cycle Gear and they threw on a new Pilot Road, sucks throwing away a tire with tread left but I would not ride with a plug, there is no way I could stay under 60 MPH. :innocent:

I just noticed I have a nail in my rear tire. My 08 fz1 came with the Michelen Pilot roads. I know most everybody agrees that to fix a motorcycle tire is not a good idea and replacement is the only option. My local Yamaha dealer does not have pilot roads but pilot powers and wants $254.00 for a rear 190/50 zr17 ,plus $60.00 to mount and balance. Over a $300.00 expense with so few miles kinda sucks. :mad:
I went ahead and pulled the nail and plugged the tire for a temporary fix and do not planning on driveing over 60mph untill I get my new tire in. I found the Pilot road for $159.99 with free shipping at this site Jake Wilson
Did a lot of searching and think they have the cheapest prices. I also found a local motorcycle shop that will mount and balance for $63.00 so this is the route I am going. The dealership will not mount tires unless you buy from them.
Anyway anybody out there have any similar experience or recommendations? How hard is it to mount and balance a wheel yourself? Any ideas.
I always used to change my own untill i tried the 50-55 profile tyres ifigured i would cause serious damage to my rims so i cut the old tyre off with a hack saw and took the new tyre & wheel to my local garage . it saved me afew£ !!

Back