16T sprocket question

njc89

For those of you that have done this mod, how significantly did it affect your MPG? Any idea what % change it makes on the speedo? Thanks

For those of you that have done this mod, how significantly did it affect your MPG? Any idea what % change it makes on the speedo? Thanks

Usually the people that do this particular mod don't much care about fuel mileage. It does help out with the tall first gear and your take-offs. I'd imagine that with only the one tooth change, your gas consumption shouldn't be too drastic. My GenI came stock with the 16T but it was carbbed and had a bigger gas tank. You may lose a few miles per tank but not much. The best thing about this mod is that it costs about 27 dollars, and you can always go back to the 17T pretty quickly if you don't like it.

You're looking at a gearing change of 5.88%
spedometer reading change will be effected by tire wear and factory error but figure 3-4 mph higher indicated than actual speed at 60 mph

my gen 1 saw a 1-2 mpg change when changing from a 16 to a 15. and similar gains when changing from a 16 to a 17.

When I did this to my GenII I went from 35mpg to 34mpg so not that big of a change and I commute 20mi. each way an equal mix of street and hwy.

But is that corrected mpg? Your speedo will still think you are travelling as far without a speedo healer.

With a corrected speedometer my mileage really didn't vary much after the 16T install. My highway mileage dropped 1-2 MPG because of the increased revs, but combined mileage stayed about the same. And anyway Gen II fuel economy isn't the greatest so what's a couple less MPG :D

With a 16T, my "corrected" MPG while commuting is around 37-38. Before the 16T it was 37-39. so maybe 1 mpg is all it changed and I track MPG on every fill-up for the past 2 years that I have owned the bike.

With a corrected speedometer my mileage really didn't vary much after the 16T install. My highway mileage dropped 1-2 MPG because of the increased revs, but combined mileage stayed about the same. And anyway Gen II fuel economy isn't the greatest so what's a couple less MPG :D

:+1: My mpg change was neglidgible. Great bang for the buck mod. But you will need to also buy a healer or drd.

Fitted 16t and did the Speedo DRD today. The gearing calc was around 5.8% out but the actual error according to my GPS was 10.8% - so about 5% speedo error from Yamaha.

I programmed 10.8% into the Speedo DRD and it is spot on. Too early to tell on fuel use but 16t does make the bike a lot more lively. From what I read elsewhere the revs only come up a few hundred in top gear but it does pay off in lower gears.

Cheers John

Back