1st 1200 mile report. For You Lurkers

The first 1200 miles report. For you researching lurkers!

I thought I would type a few words about my new to me stone stock 06 FZ1. This is primarily for the lurkers who are researching a possible GenII purchase. I’m always reluctant to talk about a new bike until the honeymoon period is over. You usually get the “this is the best bike ever blah blah blah” response.

Background: I’m 48 and have been riding bikes for the most part since about age 10. Most of those bikes were dirt machines, the last being a KTM450 exc. I’ve had a M/C endorsement since age 16 and had a number of dual sports like the first being a Yamaha DT125. Naturally a DRZ400, XR650L, and KLR650 all spread out over a bunch of years. About 9 years ago I got back into street bikes. It started with a “free” Honda CB900C that cost about $1000 in parts to get her going, lol! Then it was a Kawasaki 650R Ninja, a Versys, and a HD 1200 Sportster set up with mid controls and the taller Roadster suspension (translates into no dragging parts in the corners!).

I was looking for a fuel injected ~liter machine that has been out for a few years, in other words available on the used market. The bike had to have friendlier ergonomics for my aging body, no clip-ons for this guy. The GenII FZ1 kept popping up on the radar. The only drawback seemed to be the poor mpg/range I kept reading about. Having been spoiled with 45 to mid 50s mpg (U.S. gallons) on my previous bikes, naturally I was reluctant to get a gas hog for a 40 mile round trip commute and 200 mile weekend fun loops. Well I was wrong.

The stock Gen II FZ1 will get 35 mpg or worse if you ride it like the engineers designed it for. However, in commute mode at speeds around 65 – 70 mph and a light smooth throttle hand the bike gets a consistent 45 mpg. If you get into the afterburners a few times on the merge or stuck idling in traffic it will drop into the 39 - 41 mpg range. I weigh around 170 lbs so that most likely factors into the better fuel economy observation. Most riders don’t buy these for the fuel economy, they purchase them for the performance. I was pleasantly surprised with the added bonus of the commuting mpg with some self control! If you live in an area where the commute speeds are fast then forget about this 45 mpg claim…

The ergonomics starts to get uncomfortable for me (32” inseam) at about the 75 mile mark. This is mostly in my legs and not the lower back with the slight forward lean to the bars. There are fixes for that with 1” lowering pegs and highway pegs to stretch out the legs while droning along. I installed an old Alaska Leathers 1” gel pad and that made the stock seat more comfortable plus gave relief in the hip to knee to peg aspect by raising me up 1” higher on the seat.

If you made it this far and still reading this, the FZ1 GenII is truly a nice all around bike. I think this one is going to stick around in the garage for awhile. The I-4 is so smooth and it pulls around town in lower rpms just fine (I was worried about low end torque after coming off of a Sportster). If you want to break the sound barrier then shift down 2 gears and hang on. The liter engine at 26,000 mile valve checks is very durable and not working hard. So far I am very happy with this bike, more so then my previous bikes.

Good luck lurker, I was one for 3 years until I made the plunge, no regrets.

Ok here’s the token picture of my stock 06.

I really don't like red but that is a good looking bike with the gold forks. We aren't that far apart. Maybe we meet for a ride this year. I'm really digging my 09. I to wasn't sure about in town riding but these bikes have so much low end grunt. Have any plans of dropping to a 16 tooth up front ?

I really don't like red but that is a good looking bike with the gold forks. We aren't that far apart. Maybe we meet for a ride this year. I'm really digging my 09. I to wasn't sure about in town riding but these bikes have so much low end grunt. Have any plans of dropping to a 16 tooth up front ?

Hi tombraider2,

Thanks, I like the blue FZs and Granite Gray bikes best. But you know the deal, gotta go for what's available used in your price range. For now I'm staying with the stock gearing. This bike is so over the top with what I am used to (650 class bikes and Sportsters). I usually get up north to Monroe a few times a year to visit family.

You sure that's not a picture of my bike? :) (I just painted the stock, silver, heat-shield and rear trim piece on the stock can black too...)

Just turning 50, 5'11'', and about 175 lbs, I "fit" your summary pretty-much exactly. I took mine on a 1500-mile out-and-back from SA Texas to White Sands, NM last year. Not bad on my old bones... and I get 40-45 mpg consistantly too.

Now I might get flamed for this :) - but with posted speeds of 80mph in central/west TX, I actually swapped-in a 42-tooth rear-sprocket which drops my highway rpms a couple-hundred. It just seemed to me that anything above 65mph - I wanted another gear to shift into. (As a side-note - this also corrected my speedo - it's only off by about 1-mph @ 75...)

Overall - I have no complaints or regrets with this bike! Ride-on!

Now I might get flamed for this :) - but with posted speeds of 80mph in central/west TX, I actually swapped-in a 42-tooth rear-sprocket which drops my highway rpms a couple-hundred. It just seemed to me that anything above 65mph - I wanted another gear to shift into. (As a side-note - this also corrected my speedo - it's only off by about 1-mph @ 75...)

I would likely do the same as you. I went up a tooth on the front sprocket of my SV650 just so I could have lower cruising RPMs. For a motor with so much torque, it made very little difference in town and a world of difference at 75-80MPH

I two have thought of going up on the rear as I feel the bike is under geared on the free-way, however the only thing that has stopped me is the bike rips in the twisty's. Not sure yet if I wont to compromise one for the other.

You sure that's not a picture of my bike? :) (I just painted the stock, silver, heat-shield and rear trim piece on the stock can black too...)

Just turning 50, 5'11'', and about 175 lbs, I "fit" your summary pretty-much exactly. I took mine on a 1500-mile out-and-back from SA Texas to White Sands, NM last year. Not bad on my old bones... and I get 40-45 mpg consistantly too.

I must be about one of 10 people who actually like the stock "bazooka" exhaust!:D The black spray painted parts blends in nice with the rest of bike. Kind of wish the bike had the gold rims though. Oh well the black wheels roll just as good as the gold ones do!

It is good to hear you enjoy your bike as well.:cheers:

I’m new to the FZ1, but IMO the gear-box ratios are close-enough that the only real, significant, “compromise” going to a taller gear is the standing-start in 1st gear. Obviously – a FZ1 with a -1 front-tooth/ +2 rear-tooth would beat me off-the-line at the drag-strip – but once you’re rolling in 1st-gear (and beyond) – there should really be no compromise on any given random road/twisties.

Gearing can get very complex – and pros that road-race will run custom sprockets and gear-sets (in the transmission) designed to be optimum for each specific track. On the street – there's no "ideal” gear-set running random roads and twisties. Yes – it’s certainly possible on your favorite route, the taller gear may “hurt” you in some corners… But on the flip side – there will be just as many cases where your stock-geared bike would be “in-between” gears in a specific corner (say on the high-end of 2nd, needing a shift to 3rd on exit) – where the taller gear in that same corner would allow you to stay in 2nd through-out the entire corner and exit…

Again – I’m a FZ1 “rookie” with only about 4000-miles in the saddle, and less than 1000 with the taller gear - so take my comments accordingly. But so far (aside from red-light launches) I have not been in a corner and thought – “dang… I wish I had my stock gear…”

I must be about one of 10 people who actually like the stock "bazooka" exhaust!:D The black spray painted parts blends in nice with the rest of bike. Kind of wish the bike had the gold rims though. Oh well the black wheels roll just as good as the gold ones do!

It is good to hear you enjoy your bike as well.:cheers:

I can't say I really like the looks of the stock "bazooka" (which is why I think the silver-to-black helps blend it in MUCH nicer) but I am a BIG fan of the subdued sound! Again - priorities change with age... :) I'm with you on the gold wheels - but have no plans to swap. Ride safe and enjoy!

Back