1st gen makeover, paint, R1 forks, R6 shock etc.

Anyone know if you have to use the axle spacers from the 2003 R1 with the FZ1 wheel?

I'm having wheel alignment issues, the wheel isn't centred with the forks.

Same issue when using the 99 forks.

So you used R1 spacers too? I only have an axle. I bolted it up with FZ1 spacers, total width is correct, but I'm about 1/2 inch farther one way than the other...

I've looked up pictures of the R1 spacers on ebay, and both sides appear to be the same width.

When I bought my axle, I got one that had the extras with it.

View attachment 10905

Mine came with parts 7 and 8 on the pic. I didn't notice if the widths were different. Sorry I can't be of more help.

No, thats great help! I really dont see why mine is different, I must have done something wrong with the stack up of parts...

I'll be home this weekend, hopefully once I have said a sufficient hello to my family I can head back out to the bike

here she is, front end together, new tapered roller steering head bearings, all powdercoated and ready to go. R1 pipe with functional centre stand!
New tires, now waiting on paint.

IMG-20120521-00172.jpg

IMG-20120521-00170.jpg

The modified R6 shock I purchased isn't usable in its current state... the rubber in the upper mount is torn up so badly that there is now considerable play in the mount.

411.jpg

I purchased this shock for the spring, and i'm going to see if a machine shop can press out the upper mount and install it in my shock. i'll than have them machine up some stainless bushings so that I can use a smaller diameter bolt instead of reaming out the mount.

IMG-20120524-00179.jpg

Here is the damage to the upper mount of the shock I purchased...

IMG-20120608-00188.jpg

I purchased this cheap r6 shock for the upper mount and pressed it out, drilled it, than pressed it into my shock.

I'm not sure how you damage it that badly, It was actually quite easy with the drill press and machining fluid.

Its finally ready to install

IMG-20120525-00181.jpg

Took the bike for a spin, Man does it feel different! Extremely stable, On the throttle in a turn and it just feels planted. I done even have the suspension tuned yet. Rear isn't soft and mushy anymore.

Quite a bit lower in the front, even with the 2ed gen risers it may be a bit too low for my likings. I'll ride it for a while, maybe I'll ride it for a while and see if It grows on me.

Pictures still have the old ugly tank on there, I was waiting on decals and couldn't wait to pull it out!

IMG-20120624-00207.jpg

IMG-20120624-00206.jpg

That looks really good! Yes there are other ways to upgrade the FZ1 suspension, but none that looks as good as this.

Riding it without extensions does take some adjusting. When I added mine after riding it a couple of months without them, I felt like I was learning to ride the bike all over again. Then after I got them powder coated and cut down so I could adjust them, I'm learning all over again. With the r1 forks and the r6 shock, my bike feels like it's on rails!

Nice mods. I have access to a set of same-year R1 forks for my '03. Can I just use my top triple tree?

Yes if you use adapters for the forks (they'll have to be custom made). Problem with the adapters however can be clearance with the fairing. Check out cycle one off. They have fork extensions and can make them so they fit in the OEM top triple. That said, I have an r1 top triple with the holes drilled out if you want it. It's definitely easier to use the R1 or Gen2 FZ1 upper.

Last edited:
Thanks WolfTamer! Did adding the extension seem to make much difference in the handling? So far I love it and really dont want to give up handling. I do some long rides and long commutes though, and my wrists may end up hating me..

Once you go through the hassle of changing the bottom and stem I really dont see the sense in not going the R1/Gen2 upper clamp route.

Back