2 up Top Speed

Probably THE most irresponsible thing i've thought about all week.........

What's the fastest you've ever ridden 2 up on a FZ1?

My FZ is a 2nd gen '09 w/ minimum mods.

I eased off the throttle w/ a 120ish lb chick doin 110 a few nights ago. (closed course w/ maximum safety gear, of course :sport12:)

What's the fastest you've ever gone riding 2up?

Did 120 MPH once 2 up on a long straight of a major highway with minimal traffic. It was just a one time thing. Solo I have gone a little faster than that ;)

topped mine out with my wife (5 foot 9 inches) not too long ago. i think it was upward of 145???? give or take a few cause my speedo's off since i changed my sprokets

I'm not reckless or anything like that, and all said claims took place on a closed course runway.
'02 FZ1 just a pipe and gearing, with the wife on the back....hit 142 gps. just as my buddys 954 blew by us at 160.
Same 2 up on my VMax 135.....4mph off at 60 per gps.

No we do not do it too often, and yes we are responsible adults.

Over 80 the governor kicks in on my bike. That would be my wife hitting my back, that and a stern lecture.

She doubles as a lean angle indicator too.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think I've gone more than 15 over with someone on the back. I have this scenario that I have to explain to someones family that I killed there family member doing something I thought was safe.

are ya goofy..triple digits with a passenger...:disapproval: Too many things to go wrong. Like Jonny said,,i dont want to answer those questions from other peoples family.
I will risk my A$$ every once in a while... but never double up

I tried taking my wife last weekend on a ride. First, parking lot practice, lets just say it's a no no for us. This was much easier when I had my cruiser. She holds too tight, and when I hit the brakes it feels like she's pushing me off the bike. Plus since I'm tipied-toed, she takes too long to get on the back thus putting lots of strain to damn near tipover mode, on whichever side she mounts from :(

I think i will be riding Solo forever unless I buy another cruiser (slim chance). MAX speed 30mph

My wife keeps saying she wants her own bike but she is such a terrible pillion and auto driver there is no way I'll let her.

Solo and w/passenger I've stopped accelerating around 130 on the FZ1.

I got to 160 solo and 140 2-up on my FZ6 - so I don't even want to see what my FZ1 can really do.

I know the owner's manual says the bike is made to carry the rider and a passenger but when I'm in the rider's perch the last thing I would want is another 120 plus pounds up high, totally wrecking the bike's center of gravity and overall ability to handle at it's normal capability. I just don't ride two-up on a sport bike because it's like trying to carry an elephant on a donkey. We all know the FZ1 is plenty capable of 140 + speeds and trying to see how fast you can go with a rider is asking for a tragic event to land in your lap. As has been mentioned, taking another person's life lightly by speeding is just plain wrong and a fatal accident that kills the passenger would only be merciful if the rider was also a fatality if he/she was speeding. We already know many of the non-riding public think we are reckless so why add fuel to the fire?

Last edited:
Over 80 the governor kicks in on my bike. That would be my wife hitting my back, that and a stern lecture.

She doubles as a lean angle indicator too.

Thats funny as hell.....mines the perfect passenger, knows what to do in the corners, a tap on her leg means to hang on, tucks when i do, and only hits and lectures if I do something stupid with her on back (which I've done once, and never again).
I tried talking her into a bike, but just wants to be a passenger, and we only get to go out about once a month together with a group.
Usually on a 200 mile loop for lunch, with a quick 130+ burst of speed once on the way and back.
She won't ride the FZ anymore, only the VMAX, passenger pegs too high and she gets a leg cramp....and she's only 4'11".........so I took those suckers off.
Oh yea...for the other post, I dont' know about the Gen2, but the Gen 1 is pretty stable with a bit of weight on......we're probs 340 all geared together and she feels real stable at high speeds.....we usually cruise at 90-95 on that loop ride.

I had a crash at 90mph back in 1975 2up and I was on the back.
I have not got on the back of a motorcycle since that day so make sure you keep the speed down with someone on the back as it is one of the worst experiences that I can think of Not Being In control.
Lucky for me I didn't get hurt to bad chipped bone in neck C5 and knocked out for approximately 25 min's plus small hole in elbow, Stone went through leather jacket plus skinned knee's so take it easy when 2 up.

I hit 95 with 2up with the wife on back last weekend. She is a pretty good passenger, and she had no idea untilmI told her. Having the Sena bluetooth intercom REALLY helps matters.

No really stupid top speed runs but plenty of fast twisty runs with the missus on the back.
She is an excellent pillion and weighs next to nothing.

Back