20 March 11: Riding with the big boys

I was feeling Fizzy again so I met up with some other FZ1 Riders. I got to meet some new people and ride with some old friends. We started the day with about 9 or 10 bikes and gathered more area riders along the way. We picked up 5 or 6 more in Helen before I finally remembered to turn on the video cams!

I was pretty pleased with vids, and think I've finally found a rear mounted solution!

Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqvUTzUGiGY]Hwy 17 Leaving Helen, GA[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2dEEHBrsc]Hwy 180[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So_u_SRL634]The Pass[/ame]

Last video: Wolf Pen Gap RD.

I stopped for gas so I lost the pack but Cruzman and eflyguy stayed behind with me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the rear cam turned on so this is just boring old road. My flashlight cam doesn't pick up the sound too well so I replaced it's audio with some music. I forgot to do that on one of the other vids!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo62Wr4hmMk]YouTube - I Feel Fizzy Again: Wolf Pen Gap RD[/ame]

Great videos girl!!!! I really liked the "picture in picture" ;)
Thanks for sharing

I've got 3 of those chinese mini dvs with wide angle lenses. I really don't like looking at the videos that is just one perspective that are over 3 minutes long. It has been a real learning experience trying to make a video that captures what I am seeing.

I switched from using Movie Maker to Corel Video Studio last year and have been moving the cams around on the bike trying to find the best shot. I have two that I really like--front facing on the rad cover and rear facing on the passenger peg. I'm trying to find a tank mount that'll show the gauges but none of my suction cups want to work on the damned tank! The PIP shots are a lot easier to do in Corel but they can be done in Movie Maker if you download the right add on.

There is still another perspective I'm missing...maybe facing me. I like it when I have the driveby in there too but doing that takes time away from the ride so I'm trying to find on board solutions.

I recently saw there's a new open source video editor, Lightworks, that i'm going to try out.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Great video angles...

Group rides can be fun or a bummer if everyone has very different riding abilities. You guys maintained good distance from each other and had a fun time using excellent cornering techniques.

Thanks. I was impressed by the skill of all of the riders in that group and their willingness to help you get better if you wanted to know.

I have not met an FZ1 rider who couldn't ride! I don't know if I'm just lucky or if the GA guys know their business but I've said it now. :shame: The next one I meet probably won't be able to ride worth a damn!

I've got 3 of those chinese mini dvs with wide angle lenses. I really don't like looking at the videos that is just one perspective that are over 3 minutes long. It has been a real learning experience trying to make a video that captures what I am seeing.

I switched from using Movie Maker to Corel Video Studio last year and have been moving the cams around on the bike trying to find the best shot. I have two that I really like--front facing on the rad cover and rear facing on the passenger peg. I'm trying to find a tank mount that'll show the gauges but none of my suction cups want to work on the damned tank! The PIP shots are a lot easier to do in Corel but they can be done in Movie Maker if you download the right add on.

There is still another perspective I'm missing...maybe facing me. I like it when I have the driveby in there too but doing that takes time away from the ride so I'm trying to find on board solutions.

I recently saw there's a new open source video editor, Lightworks, that i'm going to try out.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

What kind of cams are they, where'd you get them, pretty good quality from what i can see. Nice job.

Bob

Sorry screamingbuick, I just saw this. Here's a link with pics of the cams I'm using.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-videos/8679-raw-video-1-aug-ride.html#post42383

The only one not pictured is the d001/md80 knockoff that I added when I was having sound problems with the d011. I wouldn't buy the d011 again because all of the cams seem to have that same problem.
images

When I use it now, I don't even use the sound from that cam at all. It doesn't pick up sound well at all. At first I thought it was the placement until i tried one of the other cams in the same location with better audio results.

I got them off of ebay and I also use wide angle lenses with them. A .67x and a 180 (or .28x) lens, also purchased from ebay. The 180 is the low front mount that gets the tire in the vid too. It kind of mimics the go pro lens.

For the lenses search for "wide angle cell phone lens", to me they are better than the jelly lens. You can also get them from dealextreme. They have 13 and 15 mm ones. 15mm ones don't have the dramatic fish eye look as the 13mm ones do. I think mine is 15mm but I got lucky on that.

Last edited:
Great Videos! I just now noticed the post. Love the roads down there. I think I'm going to make a trip to red river gorge this year I don't have a video camera but I will defiantly post some pictures!

Back