2004 or 2005 FZ1 Advice

Hi,

I am looking to purchase either an FZ6 or FZ1. I love the sport touring motorcycles! I can get a really good deal on either an 2004 or 2005 FZ1 for around $3500. Just wondering if there are any cons to getting these years. I know they are carbureted instead of FI, but just looking for some feedback. Some people on the FZ6 forum say that the power of the FZ1 is not necessary. I used to own a VMax so I think I could handle the power.

I have an 02 fz1. I don't know how different it is from an 04 or 05, but I recently am coming off of a triumph sprint st 955. I was really up in the air on going back to carburetors, and to be honest with you, I cant tell a bit of difference. Other than the starting process while cold. Once its running, its just as smooth if not smoother than my FI bike was. As far as the fz6 guys saying the power isn't necessary, I would rebuttal with, the power of the 6 isn't necessary either, but its fun to have. Mind you, I have not been on a stock fz1. Mine has a fairly lengthy mod list but thus far, I absolutely love mine.

I just got my 04 FZ1 in August. What I had before was GSF600s and I was not sure if I want the power of full liter bike. Now I know I made the right decision. It is great for long distance or commuting. The only difference with FZ6 is that it is more fuel efficient . I get about 175 miles on one tank in city. From what I know gen 2 will get you same thing, the difference is that carbs are harder to start in cold. However I always ride in winter months and have no problems.

I just got my 04 FZ1 in August. What I had before was GSF600s and I was not sure if I want the power of full liter bike. Now I know I made the right decision. It is great for long distance or commuting. The only difference with FZ6 is that it is more fuel efficient . I get about 175 miles on one tank in city. From what I know gen 2 will get you same thing, the difference is that carbs are harder to start in cold. However I always ride in winter months and have no problems.

I commute daily, and I haven't even had to choke mine yet even on a 45 degree morning! Just a slight blip of the throttle and she fires right up. :woot:

Just wondering if there are any cons to getting these years. I know they are carbureted instead of FI, but just looking for some feedback.

According to the guys at the local motorcycle shop, and others here on the forums, the Gen 1 FZ1's are better bikes than the Gen 2 because they are carburated, smoother power delivery and less finicky than the FI system.

Also I hear the Gen 2 bikes are great once you remap the FI to a custom tune.

I have an 02, the 05 is the last year of the Gen 1 Series.

I would say go for it!

According to the guys at the local motorcycle shop, and others here on the forums, the Gen 1 FZ1's are better bikes than the Gen 2 because they are carburated, smoother power delivery and less finicky than the FI system.

Also I hear the Gen 2 bikes are great once you remap the FI to a custom tune.

I have an 02, the 05 is the last year of the Gen 1 Series.

I would say go for it!

You would never hear me say that a Gen I is better than a Gen II simply because it's carburated. Not sure of the logic behind that. There are so many more advantages to FI over a carburetor...

Anyway the stock tune on the '06 FZ1 was not that great from the factory, but it's not horrible either. The later years got better and yes with a PC III or PC V you can adjust the fuel maps, but not necessary on a stock bike.

And I say all this owning a carbureted bike as well ('97 YZF1000).

You would never hear me say that a Gen I is better than a Gen II simply because it's carburated. Not sure of the logic behind that. There are so many more advantages to FI over a carburetor...

Anyway the stock tune on the '06 FZ1 was not that great from the factory, but it's not horrible either. The later years got better and yes with a PC III or PC V you can adjust the fuel maps, but not necessary on a stock bike.

And I say all this owning a carbureted bike as well ('97 YZF1000).

It just all depends on what you want. I prefer the carbed bike but as I said its all personal.

Lot's of people talk about the FZ1 being the best all around bike. I heard that for years before I bought one (back when I had an Sv650 and a Harley). I upgraded to a 2004 FZ1 Skunk and never looked back.
It's been my experience that there is no such thing as "To much power". That is a principle that I can't really wrap my brain around. Power, torque, speed, etc are amazing tools to have at your disposal. We (the riders) decide when and where to use them. I don't want to come off as sounding pious. I have driven like a drunken maniac in my life. More street races than I can count, blah blah blah, but now as I get older I can honestly say that I am thankful for the power of the FZ1. It has gotten me out of a lot of dangerous situations. I have been able to "shoot the gap" and avoid near accidents. Use that power to dart ahead of people pulling out in front of me and get out of some potentially nasty situations.
The FZ1 also has some amazing forums online (well so does the FZ6) but that is something you should consider. When you can get help online from other riders, you can save thousands of bucks in maintenance, repair or mods. This leads me into my next point. I have had no issues with the carbs. I have had smooth power delivery and aside from a few bad tanks of gas (just add Seafoam cleaner to the tank), I don't regret going with the Gen 1. Plus - you can easily upgrade both Gen 1 and Gen 2's. The Gen 2's have power maps to play with the fuel injection. The Gen 1's have jet kits to play with the carbs. You will have good options with either one. And a carb sync tool will run less than $100. That is not too bad for most carb maintenance.
Speed and power are somewhat addicting. LOL I drove cruisers for years and I remember when I bought my first sports bike. I couldn't believe the power and torque those things achieved. I remember thinking - this is all the power I will EVER need. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That will last a few months. Then you will adapt and your skills will improve. You will get used to the power, torque and speed and you will probably (can't say for sure but probably) want MMMMMOOOORRRRREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! So consider what bikes have desirable upgrades when you make your purchase.
Also consider what type of driving you will be doing. Will you be commuting? Will you just be sport touring? Do you do track days or have the urge to do track days? That was a deciding factor for me with the FZ1. I wanted something that I could take to the track one day and turn around and do a comfortable 400 mile bike trip the next day. You can do that with a bone - stock FZ1. I personally didn't think the FZ6 was as comfortable but that is one of those factors that only you can decide.
The FZ6 is a fine bike. I have never owned one but I have driven one. I obviously am partial to the FZ1. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. So after that long ramble - I will get to the heart of the matter.
YOU HAVE TO GO DRIVE BOTH
It's great that your doing your homework. These online forums are perfect for bouncing ideas off people and getting input. So get all the opinions you can, then get a hold of a bike and test drive it. There is no other way to know. Other people's opinions cannot take the place of riding. You have to feel the throttle in your own hand. You have to lean into the corner and decide for yourself. So I say "Get out and ride". Both are great bikes - you won't be let down by either one.

Last edited:
Here is the 2005 FZ1 I am looking at. I am going to try and test drive it tomorrow. It is in a town about 100 miles from here. Not crazy about the exhaust. Is there anything that can be done to shorten it, etc?

Here is the 2005 FZ1 I am looking at. I am going to try and test drive it tomorrow. It is in a town about 100 miles from here. Not crazy about the exhaust. Is there anything that can be done to shorten it, etc?

It's a beautiful bike and it looks clean.
How many miles does it have on it?
Does the owner list any upgrades? The muffler and the seat are stock and those 2 things are USUALLY two of the first upgrades that someone makes. However, people are also getting smart and putting their bikes back to stock to sell them. Then parting out the upgrades because you never get what the upgrades are worth. I would still ask the owner if he has done or has any upgrades.
$3500 is a little on the high side of fair IMO (Not much - just a little). However, you also have to consider where you are and how many of these bikes come along in your area. Guys in big cities have more opportunities than someone in a smaller city. I was ready to hop a plane to Kansas City to pick up a sweet FZ1 because it was cheaper than most of the FZ's in Texas. When I sat down and added up the costs - it was cheaper to pay a little more in my state than to hop a plane and ride it back.
Lot's of things to consider but the most important is to take it for a ride.
The list of mods is mind numbing. You can literally do anything you want with it.

EDIT: Just to clarify - the bike is DEFINITELY worth $3500. No doubt about it. I would just try to get a little closer to $3000. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
1L bikes are the most popular in Florida by a mile. Although the hp and torque of the FZ1 are beyond practical street standards, they still make the bike a better ride.

I just got mine about a month ago and have yet to go past 3rd gear. You can ride all around town and never hit 4th. Very easy to ride and IMHO, very refined and sexy to look at.

If there was such a concept as "too much power", then manufacturers would never sell V-Maxes, Rocket IIIs, or Diablos.

The bike that I am looking at has been at this dealership all summer. They were asking $3995 and I told them all I had to spend was $3500, so they said they would take my offer. The NADA places the value between $3400 and $4500, so if it is as nice as the photo, I think it is a pretty good deal.

I picked up my 2005 FZ1 last week and let me just say it is awesome. I paid $3500 for it and it only has 3700 miles. It does everything the FZ6 does but better. The riding position is more comfortable, the engine vibration is less, acceleration is quicker, I love the analog gauges-looks and feels like a race car. Too bad I will have to put it away soon-winter coming. Maybe we will get lucky this year and winter will stay away until December!

Back