2005 FZ1 Valve adjustments?

Hello all,
New to the forum as I just bought a 2005 FZ1 with 38,000kms on it. The bike it is show room shape and runs great. I asked the guy if the valves have been done because they are supposed to be done around 30,000kms. He said he never had them done and the guy he bought it from @ 30,000kms never said he did it.
When he first started the bike cold I listened for any valve noise and it sounded mint so I picked it up.
Is there a way for me to tell if the valves have been done already?
I was thinking I could pull off the cam chain tensioner or something and see if the factory gasket is there or something.
Any help would be much appreciated as riding season is coming :)

Great thanks.
I would rather not have to tear that far into the bike to check but thanks.
So if I listen for any loud valves and check engine temp I should be ok?
I'm thinking that since the bike was clearly taken care of and is all factory still, it has probably been done. I would think that the valves would be loud by 38,000kms if they haven't been done....

Great thanks.
I would rather not have to tear that far into the bike to check but thanks.
So if I listen for any loud valves and check engine temp I should be ok?
I'm thinking that since the bike was clearly taken care of and is all factory still, it has probably been done. I would think that the valves would be loud by 38,000kms if they haven't been done....

Valves that are out of spec on the wide side are noisy as well. Yamahas are known for long valve intervals. I routinely go well over the recommended valve interval on my bike (which is NOT known for long intervals) and other than once it only needed more than one shim, and that was this year at 73,200 km, 22,000 km since the last check.

Your call of course, but if it is in nice shape (well looked after) and you are not planning on a really long trip, just enjoy it and do a proper check at the end of the season.

If you are comfortable wrenching though, it isn't as hard as some think to check valve lash. Once you do it you will never pay a shop for that again. It is very satisfying to be able to work on your own machine. Of course it helps to have all the right tools.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I will be ok for this year then. Have to see how much riding I do.
I am definitely not afraid to tear into it, I thought that the rads, fairing, intake etc all has to be taken off to check the valves.
Maybe I will do it mid season if it gets a little noisy. I work on my 400ex atv that are known as the "ticking time bombs" so I am used to loud valves haha
thanks for the replies btw!!

You'll know your valves need to be adjusted FOR sure when it becomes hard to start. Yamaha's five-valve heads are notorious for tightening up rather than loosing up, at which point, your engine will become increasingly harder to start in the cold. If it's a hard starter, then for sure they're out of adjustment. If it's quiet and running fine, leave well enough alone. The job isn't awful just time consuming and would be more at the intermediate to hard level of your back yard wrench's scale.

Hope this helps.

Great thanks guy!
Another issue.
I wasnt able to ride the bike when i bought it because of snow but now i put it into gear with the clutch in and it stalls. I tried 1st and 2nd gear and it stalls :/
Im thinking it could be the clutch?
Whats the procedure for clutch lever adjustment?

Definitely side stand switch I would think as old school stated. Perhaps it's not switch itself persay but something to do with that circuit for sure. Break out your electric manual!

Hey guys, yes my stand was down, I feel like such a noob but I'm a dirt bike rider at heart haha
A little update, I've had the bike out and about and now it seems like it is a little hard to start so I am worried about my valve adjustment. It will pretty much need some throttle to start unless it was just running. Once it fires up it will idle no problem. I am going to clean the air filters soon so I am hoping that is the issue. I am also now leaning toward checking my valves if the filters aren't the issue, but any input from the pro's on here would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

sometimes ticking sound can be cam chain tensioner unable to provide the tensioning, I once got this ticking sound and tried changing the tensioner and it's gone.

Back