2014 fz 600 r vs 2008 fz 1

Hi,

I currently own a 2003 CBR600rr and am looking to trade in for something more comfortable to ride. I am considering a 2008 fz1 with 40000km (+-24854 miles) on the clock or a new 2014 fz600r. The catch is that the new fz600r is R25k (+-US2500) more...so I am trying to figure out whether its worth it or whether I am better of sticking with the 2008 fz1?

Any constructive comments would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Ron.

Don't know what your laws are there in S A .. if you have horsepower limitations or time limitations as some places do. But as for the machines, you are accustomed, with the cbr600rr, to more performance - power than the FZ6r has. You might be disappointed if you went that way. Check on the horsepower ratings of the two machines - compared to yours - in your country to be sure.

I think you will be disappointed in the FZ6R coming from the CBR600RR. Get the FZ1. These bikes go over 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. The 24,000 miles isn't a concern, but the valve adjustment is due at 24,000 miles, so make sure that has been done before you buy, or expect that expense after purchase.

Make sure and post some pictures of whatever you end up buying! (and current CBR600RR too)

Thanks for all the comments so far...tending towards the FZ1. I am not a maniac on the CBR but do enjoy the power it puts out. Took the FZ1 for a ride and loved it...The power and the handling was awesome and it sounded great.

Thanks for the comment regarding the mileage Troy. Will check on the valve adjustment. The mileage was the only thing that worried me on the FZ1...but doesn't sound like it's really a problem...anyone disagree? Apparently the previous owner was meticulous with servicing and was servicing at twice the required frequency i.e. Every 3000 km. ..not sure how true that is though. Any maintenance/problems besides the valve adjustment I should be keeping an eye out for at that mileage?

I've heard that mostly the '06 and a few '07 had frame weld cracking issues. I haven't heard of it in the '08 and above, but it wouldn't hurt to give the frame welds a close look.

The other important issue is color. I know you can't get the faster blue in the '08, just '07, '09 and '13. I think '08 is either red or gray. :p Hahaha

The FZ1 starts to wake up at 6k, hits strong at 8-9k (peak torque) and pulls hard all the way to 11.5-12k redline. It is a bit difficult to coax into a lean at speed (especially compared to a 600 super sport). I've heard this is due to a heavy flywheel. Firm counter-steering seems to work well. I don't know what mods have been made to it. Throw up a few pics if you can. Most here are keen at picking out visible mods. I'm anxious to hear your comparisons to other bikes. Good luck with the purchase. I hope the FZ1 works for you, or you find another bike that does.

Right! Thanks so much for the advice everyone...found a 2008 FZ1 with only 17 500 km (10800miles) on the clock plus a bunch of extras for R3000 ($300) less than the original FZ1 I was looking at! Bought it today and rode it 350 km home...3 hrs in the saddle non stop! What a beautiful ride. Check out the pics.

IMG-20140628-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20140628-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20140628-WA0000.jpgIMG-20140628-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
The FZ1 is known as the gentleman's sport bike. It's not as popular as an R1, but a super sport is not practical for many people on the street which is why they ride an FZ1. Last month I was at a Honda, Kaw, Yam, Suz dealer and sat on 25+ new bikes. A couple of cruisers were comfortable, but were too big and bulky. The only bike I really liked was a Ninja 1000, but I would not trade my FZ1 for one.

Back