2014 Yamaha R25

I wonder how the actual production version will look. The fact it's going to be a 250cc makes me think it simply won't come to North America

I wonder how the actual production version will look. The fact it's going to be a 250cc makes me think it simply won't come to North America

your probably right...

which sucks, because a sweet 250 Yamaha would do well here I bet.

I know lots of guys who love a 250 or 300 ninja for doing the twisties that would kill most 600cc + guys.

250cc is the best selling segment in the U.S.. I think the Yamaha looks amazing, even better than the Ninja. However, a 300cc bike is much better for the highway than a 250cc. They are literally in different classes provided Yamaha does not trick it out to do 100mph on the highway without grenading or rattling your fillings out.

I think in this case, Yamaha is 3 years too late with the 250. The 250 segment died in North America when Kawasaki introduced the Ninja 300, it's now completely irrelevant IMO.

Since the late 80s, the Ninja 250 was pretty much only 250 street bike in North America that mattered. Honda finally jumped on board with the CBR250 but has since replaced it with a 300 to follow Kawasaki. It probably wouldn't make much sense for Yamaha to come out here with a 250 two years after Kawasaki introduced a very impressive Ninja 300 to North America.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I'd love to see a baby R6 here. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll bump the displacement a bit :dontknow:

Triumph has been spied with a Daytona 250 as well
triumph-daytona-250-spied-72266-7.jpg

I imagine that definitely won't be sold here.

Last edited:
I agree with most said, but if the 250 performs well in power and handling, why not compete with the 300? It's a tough challenge but id like to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this means they will be bringing a bike to the Moto3 paddock. They need to get in there and shake that up a bit. How good would that be?

I don't think 250s are dead, just because they are in the USA doesn't mean they are everywhere else. You see plenty of learner riders here in Australia on them and because of that they tend to hold their value better than other bigger bikes.

I was strictly talking about North America in regards to the 250 class. I edited my post to clarify that. The rest of the world still has plenty 250s and this bike will be a huge seller in Asia, no doubt

I don't think they will be bringing a Moto3 bike any time soon as those are single cylinders and there's just two engine suppliers: KTM and Honda

I think the Moto3 rules also state that the engines must not share any components with a production bike as well. I'm not positive on that one, though

Last edited:
I don't like how the fairings cover the whole engine.

That 50cc displacement, i will agree is night and day at highway speeds or needing just a bit more pull. I can't vouch for riding one in the twisties though.

Back