2014 Z1000 track day review!

M.Martin

Well Saturday 3/29 I took the 14 Z1000 to Jennings Moto GP. I had 1800 miles on it so far and have not been able to hot rod it much. This track day was fantastic. The morning was raining so I just rode the track slowly and worked on my lines. By lunch time the track was barely damp, the sun was out and my tires were melting! I ran about 100 miles on the track with full lean and medium to hard acceleration out of corners. The bike was very easy to ride, with lots of mid range power and had no problem at 130 mph while leaned over in the corners. The throttle was consistently smooth with no glitches or accidental wheel spin. The brakes work wonderful and the suspension is top notch. The exhaust and intake make great sound. The OEM tires (120/70 and 190/50 Dunlop D214s) held the road great. I have zero complaints about this bike and feel no modifications will need to be made. There was a photographer their and I will post some pics up once I get them. Overall this is a out of the box factory custom hot rod that needs nothing out of the crate that will have you grinning from ear to ear! I was giggling and smiling the whole ride home from the track.

NICE!!! I demo'd the 14 Z1000 just few weeks ago and found it to be a great laugh! SO much power.. short wheelbase.. flickable.. just super fun!!

The one thing that annoyed me: the bike I rode made a farty/plastic-rattling noise on decel.. I hope yours doesn't do that :D

NICE!!! I demo'd the 14 Z1000 just few weeks ago and found it to be a great laugh! SO much power.. short wheelbase.. flickable.. just super fun!!

The one thing that annoyed me: the bike I rode made a farty/plastic-rattling noise on decel.. I hope yours doesn't do that :D

The rattle is the ignition. Seems to be very common on most Ninjas and Zs. The ignition isn't mounted solidly and the rattle is normal.
Awesome review! Looking forward to photos.

I need an update regarding how this bike compares to your FZ1 :)

Well in comparison. The Z is a much better sport bike with more mid range power, better suspension, higher pegs, better fueling, and less twitchy. It beats my FZ on everything performance and ease of riding. The FZ1 however was more comfortable, more range, and better fuel economy. I like the Z better, however I do still like the FZ1, but for different reasons. They are not in the same category.

Back