310 miles on my FZ1

3B43

OK, guys, I picked up my 'new' '08 FZ1 Saturday and rode it home yesterday----310 miles! Been a LONG time since I spent that many miles in the saddle of a m/c! Some things became VERY apparent:

1) the bars HAVE TO GO! They need to be lower/bend back MORE! FIRST MOD I'm gonna do!!! Gonna surf the web and see what's available!
2) I'll be ordering a bigger windscreen---it was 48 degrees when I left and some more 'wind' protection would be nice.
3) OK, my ass is skinny . . . 6'1"/195 I dont' have much 'padding' so some seat modifications are in order.
4) what was Yamaha thinking when they did NOT put anything that you could attach bungie cords too? Gonna have to fabricate something that allow me to bungie 'stuff' to the back seat.

Other then that, the bike is EXACTLY what I wanted/thought it would be! Any comments on #1--4?

R

Bungees

OK, guys, I picked up my 'new' '08 FZ1 Saturday and rode it home yesterday----310 miles! Been a LONG time since I spent that many miles in the saddle of a m/c! Some things became VERY apparent:

1) the bars HAVE TO GO! They need to be lower/bend back MORE! FIRST MOD I'm gonna do!!! Gonna surf the web and see what's available!
2) I'll be ordering a bigger windscreen---it was 48 degrees when I left and some more 'wind' protection would be nice.
3) OK, my ass is skinny . . . 6'1\\\"/195 I dont' have much 'padding' so some seat modifications are in order.
4) what was Yamaha thinking when they did NOT put anything that you could attach bungie cords too? Gonna have to fabricate something that allow me to bungie 'stuff' to the back seat.

Other then that, the bike is EXACTLY what I wanted/thought it would be! Any comments on #1--4?

R

As far as tieing down to the back seat. I use a 3/4" black nylon strap with a plastic buckle that I picked up at the camping store for a buck. Just put it under the seat and snap the seat down. Adjust as necessary. You can see it in the picture beside my tool kit if you look at the Mods gallery.
As to windshield, try the Zero gravity touring screen, it is about 4" higher and 3 " wider at the bottom.

Last edited:
Zero Gravity is the one I'm looking at.

How do you like the bags on your FZ? I'm not sure I want to go the 'hard bag' route vs soft bags.

It's a naked. If you want to make a tourer out of it you have to be creative. A bungie net works great for tieing down a duffle bag or whatever. The grab handles are more than up to holding down bungie cords. I happen to use a v-stream shield but there are several good alternatives to the stocker. I will have to say you must be the first rider who has wanted lower bars and a higher windshield. That seems counter productive to me.

I had to chuckle at this dude... It's exactly what you wanted?

I bungie to the grab rails. Cortech Sport Tailbag. Works great!

Bending the bars back... Well, I came from the FZ6 and my complaint there was the bars are bent back! The FZ1 with the straight bars feels really darned sweet after the FZ6. So, with that in mind, jump on Ron Ayers and order an FZ6 bar.

You bought a naked bike. There's not supposed to be wind protection. ;)

Seat? Top Saddlery man! Da Bomb!!! www.topsaddlery.com

Last edited:
Zero Gravity is the one I'm looking at.

How do you like the bags on your FZ? I'm not sure I want to go the 'hard bag' route vs soft bags.

If you don't want to mess with the looks of the bike go with the soft, lots of great options out there. If you want convenience and are going to use them constantly like I do. I commute everyday when the weather is good,(above freezing) and do long distances on weekends. I always carry cameras and other gear with me so the hard bags are perfect. Givi does have an option now with the racks, (PLR-X) so that they can be removed when the bags are off. Keeps the bike looking unfettered.http://www.giviusa.com

If you don't want to mess with the looks of the bike go with the soft, lots of great options out there. If you want convenience and are going to use them constantly like I do. I commute everyday when the weather is good,(above freezing) and do long distances on weekends. I always carry cameras and other gear with me so the hard bags are perfect. Givi does have an option now with the racks, (PLR-X) so that they can be removed when the bags are off. Keeps the bike looking unfettered.http://www.giviusa.com

I was just looking at that link (Thanks!) and see that this mounting kit uses the stock fender for part of the kit (side case mounts) so anyone with an FE installed might have some trouble utilizing this. In my case, I've modded the stock fender thus cannot install the "original" and mount the rack. :disapproval: ;)

rack

I was just looking at that link (Thanks!) and see that this mounting kit uses the stock fender for part of the kit (side case mounts) so anyone with an FE installed might have some trouble utilizing this. In my case, I've modded the stock fender thus cannot install the \\\"original\\\" and mount the rack. :disapproval: ;)

The rear mounting points that attach to the metal part of the stock fender are there more to keep the bags from shaking side to side. I have seen other riders that have made a filler peice to connect the two brackets together. The real holding/ support for the cases comes from the pieces that go from the frame rails down through the undertail plastic. I will add a picture when I get home. The other mounting point uses the passenger footpeg, replacing the pin with a bolt. It does not affect the use of the footpegs and clears the stock exhaust can,( just barely).
By the way, there is a guy on the other FZ site with a silver bike. Has pictures of the same V-35 Givi bags on. He has a FE and made a bracket to conect the two racks. I tried to get a picture,(there is a good shot from behind) but I am not a member of that site.

Last edited:
The bars have to go because I've got a badly injuried/screwed up right wrist . . . my left wrist was fine during the ride, but NOT the right one.

Throttle lock wouldn't help. It's the angle that my wrist is at. I'll get some bars and see if that will help . . . it can't hurt.

I'm looking at different bars at the moment. The ones on suburban etc website are $165 (brushed SS), which seem 'slightly' pricey. I'm gonna do some measurements and attempt to determine exactly what I need. I took the bike out for 50 miles this morning and my wrist was hurting after 30! Gotta change 'em.

Do you know anyone with an FZ6? Those bars are VERY cheap from Ron Ayers and not a lot more at the dealer. They have more of a swept angle to them. It would be nice to sit on an FZ6 and try them though, before you buy them.

Maybe?

I'm looking at different bars at the moment. The ones on suburban etc website are $165 (brushed SS), which seem 'slightly' pricey. I'm gonna do some measurements and attempt to determine exactly what I need. I took the bike out for 50 miles this morning and my wrist was hurting after 30! Gotta change 'em.

Just a thought, but have you considered risers? Raising the bar height might allow you to vary the angle of the grips with the same bars. Even with a different bar having the height up slightly with risers will allow for more versatility in bar and grip angles. It most certainly will change the ammount of pressure on your wrists either way.

Back