5 min OEM Grip removal

So I decided to put my heated grips on today. The only issue I ran into was removing the OEM grips. I wanted to save them just in case, even though I put hot grips on. I spent over an hour trying to loosen em with the compressor and/or heat. This is crap DON'T DO IT You can have them off within minutes, I used a thin flat blade and some WD-40.
Just like so.

Finished Product. I put a variable temp control switch in also. You can see the knob on the fairing cover. I'm not really fond of it but its a huge switch as it has a built in regulator, so there werent a whole lot of options. It works nicely and doesn't look terrible.

Last edited:
I pushed a thin metal rod between the grip and bar, then put the cordless drill on the rod and spun it while pulling on the grip. The rod walks around the handlebar and the grip pulls right off after a couple of revolutions.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Ha, that's an old trick I learned about 40 years ago. Glad to hear that it still works.:doh2:

Works for mountain bikes too.

A big +1.. though I've not learned it quite so many years ago (maybe 15?). No longer needed on mountain bikes, since lock-ons are the norm now, but works very well on motorcycles.

You just have to clean and dry the handlebar very thoroughly afterwords, or the new grips won't stick!

I use hair spray to remove and install grips, no need for cleaning as it sets like a weak glue and helps hold the grips on. A cheap can does the trick. it does look out of place sitting on the shelf in my shed with all my other cutting, lube and working sprays though.

Heated grips. Was missing them greatly on my ride Sunday. Temps. in the low-50's. My last bike, a BMW, had them. A necessary luxury in my opinion. I've got to work on this I think.

So who makes the heated grips you put on? linky linky

I would also like to know which pair you picked up.

I am planning on installing grips, 12v charger, GPS mount, and a radar mount all hard wired in - I plan to do it all at once so I don't have to take everything off again and I can be more tactical when choosing where to run and splice wires.

I just wanted to update. The variable temp switch is awesome, it was like 62 here and I went to the hardware store, my hands were just a bit chilly so I turned the knob to the lowest setting. Just enough to warm the grips a little bit, a low high switch would have made it too hot but it was much more comfortable to have hands that arent cold.

Oldschool,

I like how cheap those grips are, can you vouch for how they feel? I don't like that the cables look bulky vs Hot grips lower profile cables...

I am about to purchase heated grips, but I want variable control like what you have @Sebastian F7 - How did you mount the switch to that panel? From what I could tell Hot grips only gives your the switch itself with two wires coming out of it for $41.00 - I want to make sure I can get it onto the plastic kind of like you did, I think it looks better then having another gadget hanging off my handle bars.

Oldschool,

I like how cheap those grips are, can you vouch for how they feel? I don't like that the cables look bulky vs Hot grips lower profile cables...

I am about to purchase heated grips, but I want variable control like what you have @Sebastian F7 - How did you mount the switch to that panel? From what I could tell Hot grips only gives your the switch itself with two wires coming out of it for $41.00 - I want to make sure I can get it onto the plastic kind of like you did, I think it looks better then having another gadget hanging off my handle bars.

The switch is listed on their sire. I believe they come with the 3 way switch and the variable is an extra $41. If not we cant use the one for her 8 since its neked, so I could sell that if all else fails. The variable temp switch has a hex nut that you can take off and it holds it in place like many other switches. I just carefully drilled a hole in the plastic. Be careful where yoi decide to ground to as i have to change mine.

Back