520, 530?

Ok so im looking around at chains and sprockets..

Just looked it up, and realized the 530's are thicker. So can a 530 setup bolt right onto my bike assuming I buy a 530 chain also? What size is stock? Do I want to run 530 or 520s?

It seems most people rock a 15/47 combo which im going to say is gonna limit the top speed but give some serious low end.

IS this what I would want to correct the speedo?

http://global.ebay.com/_Y01_R1_R6_FZ6_FJR1300_BT1100_Bulldog_FZ1_Speedo_Healer/140391708672/item

Last edited:
16/44 530 pitch chain is the Original Equipment from YamaMama

15/47 combo does get you into the powerband faster, but in all seriousness, if you plan on spending your time pushing 130-140+, you'll never miss those few extra mph on the top end.

Factory has anywhere from 3-5% error in the speedo to start (err on indicating a faster speed than actually traveled). You opt to change the sprocket combination to a 15/47 you start looking at 12-15% faster indicated than traveled. PLUS, you will start to rack up unwanted "ghost" mileage-----1 actual mile traveled may indicate as say 1.2 on the odometer.

IF you should ever decide to sell, trying to explain this to someone, they are just going to look at what the odometer shows and a higher mileage will reduce the asking price. (and I used this too b/c my bike when purchased was approx 3200 miles over the actual mileage after talking to the owner who traded the bike from the stealer that I purchased it from)

OK so lets say instead of doing the 15T front sprocket, doing a 16/47 is basically half way there to the 15/47. As from what I read a 16/47 is the same as a 15/44. So how many links will I need for the chain, as the stock sproket is very ugly and i would prefer to use a Hard coated black Vortex rear one.

Does a 120 link work?

Ill be keeping it at a 530 width.

OK so lets say instead of doing the 15T front sprocket, doing a 16/47 is basically half way there to the 15/47. As from what I read a 16/47 is the same as a 15/44. So how many links will I need for the chain, as the stock sproket is very ugly and i would prefer to use a Hard coated black Vortex rear one.

Does a 120 link work?

I use 520 16/47 with no problems. Note, use steel sprockets not alloy. I am very impressed with the 520 conversion, the bike seems to pull smoother and have more drive (less weight in guess). Keep to chain correctly adjusted and lubed and you will have no problems. Alot of guys use the 520 on the forum.

Does a 120 link work?

Hard coated or not that Vortex rear sprocket wont last too long. If you don't do much riding then it's probably not a big deal, but I would recommend the Supersprox sprocket instead. It will last as long as any steel sprocket and certainly looks better.

that will happen... and it'll stay that way for a little while... then... you'll get curious... I as the same way when I bought mine... I couldn't believe that anybody wasted their time making these things any faster.... then I changed the gearing... and jetted... and modded the airbox.. and ported the boots... and advanced the timing... and on and on and on and on.

I took time getting used to mine and was pretty much happy. then I heard an aftermarket exhaust and started wondering. Wondering led to shopping. shopping led to buying. Buying leads to modding. I'm happy with the way he is now but I know he could be better and while I'm enjoying where I'm at now, I'm looking forward to better.

Maybe it's because I took a step up, but I wonder about people who get this bike and mod right away without getting to know it as it was from the factory first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I run a 16/48?

Like will there be clearance issues?

That's going up 4 teeth in the back so you may run into issues with the chain length and chain guard clearance. If you really want to change the gearing that drastically then a better option would be a 15/45 combo.

Back