$900 Ohlins shock--is it worth it?

Dustin

I know there's a few of you here with Ohlins gear on their bikes. I am looking for shock options for my 919 and Ohlins does make a very nice unit for it.

I am familiar with what simple suspension upgrades can do to transform a bike but what about something like this $900+ Ohlins shock?

Is it really worth it for an every day bike with an every day rider? I'm sure it's an excellent shock, but is it 25% the cost of the bike excellent?

My SV650 was completely transformed from about $200 worth of suspension work. A $50 GSX-R 1000 rear shock, RaceTech fork springs and some fluid.

I'd like a low-cost option for this bike but it seems there isn't much available

I don't see the point of dumping 1K on a rear shock on a bike you use to commute. Get the one you have rebuild and if you get a good shock guy he probably can re-valve it for you. Not sure if the stock one can be rebuilt? But worth some investigation...

Not sure if I can apply what I know from race car to motorcycle. But Ohlins always been much better shock but the range of adjustability was always little. Very small window to play with. Most of the time I had to revalve between session or we were using a second set of shock for second valving option.

On the other hand the Penskee was a good solid shock and always been popular in the "club racing" world. There's plenty on adjustment and no need of a shock tech at the track.

So my suggestion would be to look into getting your stock one rebuild and pimp up. Or check out for Penskee. Should be good enough for spirit riding... not like you try to cut few hundreds of second in your morning commute.

Worth every penny...just wait till you ride it...In my opinion it's a safety issue.
Suspension and brakes....the only mods really needed, the rest is all ego.

I could look into having Traxxion rebuild and respring the 919 shock but I would have to buy another stock shock as the 02-03 rear shock is not worth rebuilding. 04+ would be worth it but I'm looking at at least $400 out of pocket minimum plus the cost of the shock in the first place.

I will see what Traxxion says about Penske

That's the hard to find 'basic' model without an external reservoir or hydraulic preload adjustment. I think it lacks compression adjustment as well.

I wonder how good it is

I am doing research about upgrading the CBR F3 shock as well. It's a little taller but Traxxion says the shock itself is quite good and can be serviced to work well

Last edited:
rear end

well worth the money standard very basic.. i have ohlins do 40km one way to work ride all the time .handles heaps better i.m looking at upgrade forks next. ohlins has ride height adjust to..:rmwl: blud nut

I am seriously considering the top end shock. Maybe come spring time

not worth it. pick up a r6 or s1krr shock, have it built for your weight, it'll cost you half the price. race set suspension sucks on the street. basic internal work on the stock shock or on the r6 shock, will give you a fantastic and amazing ride quality for half the price. its what i always do on my bikes. i've discussed this with a few suspension guys here locally and its what they've recommended as well, for a street bike that it's not really worth it.

not saying its bad, ohlins is pretty amazing, just overpriced. replacing stock internals with proper springs/valves etc gives you a night and day difference

You have to remember, this isn't for an FZ1 so I can't get an S1000 rear shock or anything decent as a good base.

The Penske 8983 is around $820 & Lee @ Traxxion does not at all recommend the lower priced Penske 8900e as it would simply just be a 'replacement' but not an upgrade. That's $620 itself.

I could have the CBR F3 shock re-built/sprung/valved for a few hundred but that is a shock made for a linked bike. That is the lowest-cost option. What do you guys think of that option then?

Let's say all-in the F3 option would run me around $420

Ohlins with remote preload: $920
Penske 8983: $820
F3: $420

Which would you guys choose?

Last edited:
I owned a 919, called a CB900 Hornet here in Australia,mine was a 02 model,had no preload on the front ended up getting some to fit,made a world of difference,if you have money to burn yes,but you end up spending more money on the bike than what it is worth.When I sold mine I didn`t get much more than what all the extras cost [had 85,000 klm`s though].

Back