ABS help

Maverick01

Well, when i do 2 or 3 hard brakings the ABS light starts blinking, then i turn off the bike and when i start it again it´s all ok, anybody had this problem?

So it´s not a problem, it´s character?
I should point that even when the light is blinking the ABS works the same, and until i turn the bike off the blinking ABS light is always flashing

I had a Beretta that did the same thing, I think its just letting you know that the ABS was activated even if the wheel slipped in the slightest and the light might just be a warning light to ease off a little. That was a car though.

Most of us do not have ABS in the US or Australia, where I come from.
Hopefully some of our European brothers can shed some light on the subject?

It seems that the ABS model doesn't work well with the Led tail light.I had previously installed an aftermarket led tail light and the problem appear as mentioned.With hard braking the ABS light will start to blink,and will reset itself only when u turn off the bike.I highlight my problems to my local Yamaha agent and he told me the same story.
For me,safety is my most concern and i switched back to my normal filament bulb tail light.Until now,even with hard braking,the ABS doesn't light up and i can sense a better pulsating braking at the rear when i pump the brake real hard.I don't mind the look of the stock tail light as my importance is the functioning of the ABS during my ride.I hope my experience here will help.:D

Well i guess it's up to individual personal choice.You can still use ur aftermarket tail light but u'll definately be bothered by the ABS light activating frequently if u use it on ur daily ride.
Previously,i did try installing a load resistor i bought on ebay but it doesn't help at all.I think that there are some reason behind this, a certain or specific requirements that the ABS need in order to perform safely and efficiently.
I mean, that's the reason why i bought an ABS bike in the first place.:)

Hello guys,

yes the ABS-lamp problem comes from an LED taillight.

When youre braking the bike is measuring the current that is flowing trough the normal bulb. Now a LED taillight consume much less current so the bike is falsely thinking, that you have a broken brake bulb. So it activates your ABS-lamp to give you the information, that youre braking bulb is damaged.

According my information the ABS itself is still working well in that case but when you ignore that problem with the burning ABS lamp you never have a chance to recognize IF one day your ABS is really faulty.

So you can purchase a load resistor and connect it in parallel(!) to the LED-brake light. This means not inline. This means the resistor have to go from red to black. (I don't know the real FZ1 colors) If you connect it in line with the brake-led-light it has no effect.

Cause of the additional current of the resistor the bike then is thinking, that the brake-bulb is fine and you get no ABS lamp lighting up.

BR
Rob

PS: The load resistor becomes hot when your brake light is on for a longer time, so mount it anywhere, where the heat is no problem.

So far so good.

Put back on the Led Tail light on my FZ1S Fazer two weeks ago.Tried experimenting with different load values,so far no prob.I was able to brake without the ABS light appearing on the dash board.Manage to avoid a taxi while my way to work this morning and the ABS system really saved my butt.
Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Keep in mind that u need to attach the leads of the Load resistor across red and the black wire from the led tail lights and u'll be fine.If u put across the green and black,the Led's will not light up at all.This is the reason why i couldn't get the led's to work on my earlier post.

Thanks to Rob2222 for his post.I read thru different cars forums and bikes forums to get a clear understanding as the problem is also effecting their vehicles equipt with ABS or Auto cruise systems.

hi guys,

is it possible to install the abs kit on the bike? as in india the fz1 does not comes with an abs....

Possible is one thing, but practical is another. Since the parts all exist for the FZ it would be possible, but very expensive to do after the fact. Based on what my KTM has for ABS equipment, You would need a lot of parts and I honestly don't believe that it would be worth it. I have never had an ABS equiped bike before the KTM 990 and since I have had it have only used it once (on purpose just to see what it felt like). I routinely turn it off when I am off-road so that I can intentionally drag my rear tire on steep down hills that the ABS would not allow if engaged. It adds weight and complexity and cost to the bike. The pump system under the seat alone must weigh a few pounds. I will not say that ABS does not have it's place, but do not spend the cash and go through the trouble of installing the system thinking that you can then relax and let the machine keep you safe. Knowing what you and your bike are capable of together, and always striving to improve your skills and attention while riding will serve you better.

Spend the cash that the abs system (and install) would cost on training and you will be farther ahead IMO.

Back