ABS system update

Hi everybody. Austin, Tx here. stock 2007 FZ1.
First post from me, but I did try and search up ABS and anti-lock first.

Can ABS be added/modded/rigged onto this bike?

I've only been riding about a year, but a lot of it was on a bandit with ABS.
I haven't locked up my tires yet, but it's in the back of my mind every time I brake.

I think I bought too much bike and I like it.

It would probably be more hassle than its worth. You can be pretty aggressive braking with em and not lock the tire. Just gotta get used to using more frong than rear, and not being an oaf on the fronts.

Dude, you are the antilock! The 1st thing I do with any motorcycle I ride is test the brakes. For me, this means braking in a strait line to the point of locking it up (or nose wheelie) and then releasing the brake lever or pedal. It gives me a good idea of how much brake I can safely grab and a feel for when it starts breaking loose.

Dude, you are the antilock! The 1st thing I do with any motorcycle I ride is test the brakes. For me, this means braking in a strait line to the point of locking it up (or nose wheelie) and then releasing the brake lever or pedal. It gives me a good idea of how much brake I can safely grab and a feel for when it starts breaking loose.

That's fine and dandy in a controlled test situation, but out on the road when a panic situation presents itself very few people will be able to modulate their brakes to maximum effect on their own. They will usually grab a handful of brake and lock 'em up big time, that's where ABS can be a real advantage. I'm not saying we shouldn't all practice panic style stopping on a deserted piece of asphalt, but ABS has a place in the m/c kingdom. To the OP, ABS is an integrated system and probably cannot be added as an aftermarket option.

I'm sure you could source all the parts from a European model with ABS but it will probably cost you a fortune.

Really wish they would have offered ABS in the states. The year after I bought my FZ1 Kawasaki offered it as an option on the Ninja 1000.

Would have bought the Kawasaki just for the ABS ( I was considering both bikes )

I've been riding 29 years and consider myself pretty competent but would love ABS for those OH SH*t moments. Everyone THINKS they brake like Valentino Rossi............. until the unexpected happens... deer, idiots running red lights and so on.

Can you brake more or as effectively without ABS in a controlled environment ??? Probably ....... but can you do it when your life is about to end ??? Seriously doubt most people can.

Totally agree. Have a friend who says that he can brake better than anti locks. BS! I asked him when was the last time he tried a panic stop for practice and he looked at me like I had two heads. When the you know what hits the fan they can save you big time. Activated mine in my car once on the freeway at 110kph or there abouts and was damn happy to have them

I had ABS on my Vstrom and it's the only thing I miss about that bike. The biggest advantage is when the weather turns bad. It's simply amazing that you can grab a handful of brake and not worry about a lock up. When I first got the bike I rode it on wet grass and full braked to test them out, impressive.

Now if someone figures out how to install on the FZ1 economically I'm all over it.

I found an ABS pump on ebay.uk (no idea yet if they'll ship it here).
If it's still there in a week when I get paid, I might order it. Then the task of trying to figure it out.
they say if you give enough time to enough monkeys with typewritters you'll get...ah, I forget. but I figure if I have a big enough hammer I can make it fit.

I found an ABS pump on ebay.uk (no idea yet if they'll ship it here).
If it's still there in a week when I get paid, I might order it. Then the task of trying to figure it out.
they say if you give enough time to enough monkeys with typewritters you'll get...ah, I forget. but I figure if I have a big enough hammer I can make it fit.

The pump is only part of the system, you have to have the sensors on the wheels and the ECU to tie it all together. These systems are bike specific and you can't interchange them, which is why you don't see kits to convert bikes to ABS. Don't spend a bunch of money going down this road, you really can't assemble an ABS system on your own. Do you really trust a system that you jury rigged on your bike, what if the system locks up your brakes at 60 mph because you didn't really know how the system worked? I've not heard anyone retrofitting an ABS system to a bike, why do want to be the guinea pig for such a project? If you wanted ABS you should have bought a bike that had it on there from the factory. It seems to me you are intimidated by the FZ1's power, that's fine, but you won't solve that problem by using a crutch in the form of ABS. ABS is fine for a panic situation but you shouldn't be relying on ABS in day to day riding, you should be using good, sound braking technique and never having the ABS going into action in normal riding.

Last edited:
The pump is only part of the system, you have to have the sensors on the wheels and the ECU to tie it all together. These systems are bike specific and you can't interchange them, which is why you don't see kits to convert bikes to ABS.Don't spend a bunch of money going down this road, you really can't assemble an ABS system on your own.Do you really trust a system that you jury rigged on your bike, what if the system locks up your brakes at 60 mph because you didn't really know how the system worked?I've not heard anyone retrofitting an ABS system to a bike, why do want to be the guinea pig for such a project?If you wanted ABS you should have bought a bike that had it on there from the factory.It seems to me you are intimidated by the FZ1's power, that's fine, but you won't solve that problem by using a crutch in the form of ABS.
ABS is fine for a panic situation but you shouldn't be relying on ABS in day to day riding, you should be using good, sound braking technique and never having the ABS going into action in normal riding.
oh sorry. I think maybe I don't want to spend a bunch of money going down this road. I really can't assemble an ABS system on my own. I should have bought a bike with ABS from the factory. I've never heard of anyone retrofitting an ABS system to a bike. That explains why I don't see kits to convert bikes to ABS.

Back