Absolutely Stumped - Super Frustrated!!!

I have a low mileage 2001 FZ1 that has a carburetion problem that I can't fix and now two different motorcycle shops are unable to resolve. It has the Dale Walker Holeshot jet kit plus ignition advancer and the AIS removal kit also. (Everything set up to Holeshot specifications). The bike runs incredibly terrible. It surges, can't hold rpm's/speed at steady throttle --bogging down, bucks, sputters, and backfires on deceleration. The carburetors were soaked and thoroughly cleaned at the last shop and about 30% improvement was noted but overall peformance is still terrible. It doesn't run smooth at any rpm!!! Plugs have been replaced 3 times, the coils/plug wires checked out OK. The bike just doesn't run right at all. I'm sick of paying and getting nothing for it and while I love the bike.....it has never run right since I purchased it. It will accelerate hard at times but not smoothly and with gradual/steady throttle roll-ons, it cuts out and the noise from the exhaust sounds terrible.....sputtering and misfires!!!

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? I'm absolutely stumped and I have owned over 40 motorcycles and NEVER had a problem like this before EVER!!! I keep getting this BS about how perfect the bike is running from the shops after they work on it and NO WAY!!! I feel I can't trust anybody to fix the damn problem and now I feel nobody knows what to do except charge money for work that doesn't seem to help at all. HELP!!!!!!

I'm NOT a master mechanic and always learning....but I had experienced a similar problem and these were some of the things I checked that you have not mentioned....

Have you looked/serviced at the EXUP valve?

Bad Gas? (been on the same tank since problem noted?)
blocked needle?
Carbs did not get put back together properly? (who installed the jet kit? -- some error in the installation that people are overlooking?)
Fuel Pump?
Changed fuel filter?
cinched/blocked fuel line?
Debris in the airbox?
cracked intake boots?
any of the exhaust pipes running cooler (at temp) than the others?

Last edited:
I had this problem with another bike. Make sure to check if the carbs are in sync along with the stuff BroHay said. My problem made me get the FZ1 then about a year after I got it, and after buying new carbs for my old bike, the mechanic said they were just out of sync. it was a bitch to sycn them on that bike but really easy on the FZ1. Good luck.

I'd have to stop going to shops, and check everything personally...

one thing in my mind... I'm guessing you bought the bike 2nd hand... and as that goes, we normally don't know all of the mods done to a bike before we get it... let's just imagine for a second... that your bike was already jetted when you bought it... if it had Ivan's jet kit installed in it, there has been drilling done to the carbs that would affect the performance of any subsequent jet kit...

but... I'd pull the carbs and check that everything is right... check for cleanliness... proper float height... proper turns on air screws... etc etc.

Sounds like it could be vacuum related. I had similar problems with my Bandit and it was caused by a split vacuum point cap.

Check all the vacuum pipes for splits or holes and also check the caps where they are fitted at the vacuum take off points that you synch your carbs at.

I have had problems like this before. Check all of the above first. if nothing is found pull the carbs from the bike and remove the vaccume slides. Very carefully inspect the rubber diaphram for any holes or splits. also make sure they have not swollen from some kind of cleaner. This can prevent them from lifting properly and evenly and the bike will run like crap.

Back