Advice on my FZ1

Mally if you dressed with all that stuff on over here in Texas, man you would burn up.....Were talking major heat down here.....lol.....I always wear a good helmet, but other than that it's tank top, shorts and sneakers...If I go down there will be major hide loss...lol....

For your sake I hope that's an April Fool's joke. No reason not to wear good protective gear even in the heat of Summer. Plenty of mesh jackets out there that will offer decent protection and keep you relatively cool. Remember sweating hurts a lot less than bleeding...lol

Have your heard of septic shock? It can kill you as dead as splitting your head. When I see people riding in shorts and tank tops I think "what a moron"
Just sayin.

So guys, I'm a beginner rider. I purchased an 04 FZ1 due to it having a great price. Personally it's more than what i was looking for but i fell in love with it so of course i bought it. Any tips any of yall can give me besides getting a smaller bike or selling it? I plan entirely to keep it. I've ridden it a few hours and really it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as everyone acts like. Yet I know that I'm by no means a good rider so I'm just looking for some decent tips. Thanks

The bike is only as fast as your right wrist. You did good, enjoy!

+1 on a safety course. my first bike was a gs500, then moved up to a gsxr 600 then made the switch to the fz1. its a FAST bike in compairison. well built, and handles great ( its not a gsxr but handles just as good imho) the throttle is somewhat forgiving but dont get me wrong this bike has a CRAP ton of power!

GET GEAR!!!!! make sure you protect your self from a fall. frame sliders will prevent from costly repairs.

have fun and ride on!

Number one MSF class, number two Quality gear (ATGATT) designed for your environment, and number three, seat time. Ride alot and get used to the bike. Don't let "buddies" get you to ride at their pace, if they are good buddies they will ride at yours. Fear is a tool, use it well, if your riding beyond your abilities you will pay. Thats a given. As far as mods, at 140 pounds you should be able to set the sag for a more comfortable ride, and get frame sliders. They offer a lot of protection for your bike, at relatively little cost. As for track days, I recommend them but only after your comfortable on your bike, the track is wide enough to be forgiving in the corners, the street may not be. This is just my opinion, so have fun, and get out and ride.

All you new riders out there gear up properly; sorry if I misled anyone about proper safety when riding these beast....The FZ1 is a whole lot of bike for any beginner rider...
I'm just an older dude that has never been down, and done developed the mindset that I'm invincible..lol...You younger fellas put more miles on a bike in a hour than I do in a month....I just putt around town in mine...
Watch out for us senior citizens; especially in auto's..I have had many close calls with senior's pulling right out in front of me..

Mally if you dressed with all that stuff on over here in Texas, man you would burn up.....Were talking major heat down here.....lol.....I always wear a good helmet, but other than that it's tank top, shorts and sneakers...If I go down there will be major hide loss...lol....

April Fools Day, right??? Staff infection is a bitch.

Regardless, I have more than made up for all of you how have never crashed. I will give you all one, maybe two crashes each.

1) Lowsided and in turn stuffed Yamaha TX500 under an I-Beam rear bumper of a car.
2) Lowsided Yamaha Vision on Rabbit Ears pass at 10pm.
3) Lowsided Yamaha RD400 roadracing at Second Creek Raceway in the "Rat's Nest."
4) Lowsided Yamaha RZ350 after being hit by another rider in the front strait of Aspen raceway.
5) Lowsided GS1100E, two up, loaded for touring in the Whiskey Pete's parking low in the CA/NV border. Damn new pavement and 110 degrees...
6) Highsided GS1100E while trying to do a stoppie on cold tires after pulling an all nighter in college. Dumb...
7) Highsided at 110 mph RZ350 after being hit by another rider at Firebird Raceway.

I think that is it, I'm sure I've forgotten others.

Your from the Austin area....man that is some good riding down there..Marble Falls, etc.....I have a farm in Hamilton...
Yep it does sound like you have been down enough for all....lol...You know all about the Texas heat for sure....

I started racing with Bultaco's (yup, I'm dating myself), then graduated to street bikes, ending up drag racing. Due to 'life', sold my last bike, a gorgeous, tricked out/custom painted '84 Ninja, in '87 . . . and got back into m/c in Nov '09 when I bought a brand new '08 FZ1. Yup, a 22 yr lay off! All the info here is great, but something I never hear brought up is this:

I 'practice' emergency braking EVERY time I ride! I've got a stretch of lonely road that I practice braking at, from all speeds: 70+ to stop/50/30/etc. 3-5 'STOPS' and then its off on the ride. I've got to the point that 'stoppies' are easy and fun to do! This really gives you a 'feel' for the front brake.

For what its worth . . .

Back