Aftermarket exhaust

Hi, hoping someone here can help. I recently bought an 06 FZ1 and have been thinking of replacing the anchor otherwise known as the stock can.

I have seen some good deals on ebay, and was wondering if I need to worry about 02 sensors or anything else when I purchase. Most kits come with the muffler, short pipe to connect to headers, and a clamp or two.

Do I need anything else, specifically related to emmissions? By that I mean anything that I may need that without, will prevent me from installing and running the setup?

I have not gotten into this thing far enough yet like on my other bikes.

TIA

O2 sensor fits in the header do if installing just a slip-on you don't need to worry about it.

You will have to remove the EXUP cables as the valve is part of the pipe connecting to the stock muffler. From factory the bike is rich enough that installing a slip-on is not going to cause a lean condition so you should be good to go.

The only other mod you might want to consider when installing the slip-on is blocking (or eliminating) the AIS system. It injects fresh air into the exhaust and will cause noticeable "popping" with an aftermarket slip-on. It doesn't hurt anything and is there now, but you don't hear it with the stock exhaust.

O2 sensor fits in the header do if installing just a slip-on you don't need to worry about it.

You will have to remove the EXUP cables as the valve is part of the pipe connecting to the stock muffler. From factory the bike is rich enough that installing a slip-on is not going to cause a lean condition so you should be good to go.

The only other mod you might want to consider when installing the slip-on is blocking (or eliminating) the AIS system. It injects fresh air into the exhaust and will cause noticeable "popping" with an aftermarket slip-on. It doesn't hurt anything and is there now, but you don't hear it with the stock exhaust.

Does it seem to differ per bike, for some reason? Because I don't have a big problem with it. I didn't block the AIS, yet. I have a little popping, but nothing problematic. And it is somewhat a "part" of my bike that I kinda like, for some reason. :cool:

I almost think I remember a little pop with the stock exhaust as well.......would that be impossible? Am I misremembering like Andy Petit? ;) :D

Does it seem to differ per bike, for some reason? Because I don't have a big problem with it. I didn't block the AIS, yet. I have a little popping, but nothing problematic. And it is somewhat a "part" of my bike that I kinda like, for some reason. :cool:

I almost think I remember a little pop with the stock exhaust as well.......would that be impossible? Am I misremembering like Andy Petit? ;) :D

Well I'm sure it depends on your tune and the pipe that you're using. Some people have a higher tolerance for it than others I suppose.

I never heard it with my stock pipe, but I never really listened for it either and yes a little popping is fun sometimes :)

I don't think so, unless he got the year wrong. Lee's was an '08 and he has '06 listed as the year of his FZ1.

I bought the bike locally here in Calgary, and it was stock. I am just starting to do some cosmetic mods, lke the bar end mirrors, fender eliminator, CD screen, LED turns, etc. Next thing I want to tackle is that ugly exhaust, so need info on what else I need when I buy the can.

I have been out of the sport bike scene for a long time, and am more familiar with Harleys at this point.

Can you expand on the removal of the "cables"? Is the procedure pretty straight forward?

Can you expand on the removal of the "cables"? Is the procedure pretty straight forward?

Yes, it's very straight forward. Just unbolt them at the exhaust and at the servo motor and remove them.

If you want to get an idea of what's involved take a look at Yoshimura's installation instructions for their slip-ons. The removal of the stock components will apply regardless of the brand of exhaust that you choose. Might take a few seconds to download the pdf document.

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/product/pdf/1321275.pdf

Last edited:
I bought a SS Yosh TRC slip on. It was the single best thing I ever did to the bike. It sounds like a beast now! The stock system was just too quiet. Install was pretty straight forward. Yoshimura supplies good instructions.

Back