AMA Superbike Race - South Jersey

I figure I'd start my thread this evening being that I'm leaving at 6am sharp tomorrow morning. My Nelson saddle bags are all packed and ready to go! This will be the first motorcycle race for both me and my son. I am pretty excited about it having heard from others just how awesome it is to see in person. I have both cameras and will be taking lots of pics and video's to post on Monday. Aside from the races, I'll be seeing "EarlZach", a member here who sold me the FZ1 back in October. Also, CanonFuji will supposedly be heading down as well as Tony(NJFZ1) on Sunday. It should be a great time. I'll post back on Labor Day unless I get back early enough Sunday evening. Everyone enjoy your holiday weekend and make it a safe one!

Have a great time Billy. Just curious, are you taking the Parkway or Turnpike to get to southern NJ? I think the Turnpike may be a little shorter from the Bronx. But if you're taking the Parkway for scenic reasons maybe I can meet up with you in the morning and ride along for a while. I'm planning to go for an early ride anyway.

I live close to the Parkway rest area a couple miles south of the Raritan river. It's the first Parkway rest stop after exiting the Turnpike at exit 11. I'll pm you my cell number. Feel free to call early.

Steve

Me and my pop met up with Billy and his son today after the races at the track. It was good to see them again since this past fall. The bike is looking awesome and runs smooth. I am sure he will have a bit to say about his weekend when they get back home. But for now they are staying to enjoy another day of racing.

Billy it was great to see yas. I hope you had a good time down here in the lower part of NJ.

Earlzach (David)

Race

Wow, I wish I could have gone to the races. Its a bit of a ride from florida. I did watch it on TV however and was sad to see maladin crash in first race.

Me and my pop met up with Billy and his son today after the races at the track. It was good to see them again since this past fall. The bike is looking awesome and runs smooth. I am sure he will have a bit to say about his weekend when they get back home. But for now they are staying to enjoy another day of racing.

Billy it was great to see yas. I hope you had a good time down here in the lower part of NJ.

Earlzach (David)

Hey Dave, sorry I missed you and your pops. I wanted to get back before night fall.

I spoke with Bill, he told me your V Max is insane LOL. He likes the bike a lot. Don't let him test ride your bike, he's a hooligan.

Hey Dave, sorry I missed you and your pops. I wanted to get back before night fall.

I spoke with Bill, he told me your V Max is insane LOL. He likes the bike a lot. Don't let him test ride your bike, he's a hooligan.

Hey sorry we missed you as well but totaly understand. Hope to catch up with you again sometime.

As far as Billy and a test ride? Too late!! Him and Richie rode it back from the track. Traffic ruined any room for real excitement but he did ride it.

You take care. We are going to get a Ride together.

David.

Well, I'm back and have to say that the weekend was probably THE BEST weekend I've ever spent. That includes all my Nascar excursions and all. I got to see dear friends, awesomely sick racing, met Jason Britton (Superbike TV Show), and great weather.

As you know CanonFuji was there Saturday, EarlZach (David) and his dad Harry, and Tony (NJFZ1) was there today. It turned out to be a mini forum get-together.

David and his Dad met my son and I at the track on Saturday. He rode in on his Bitchin' V-Max and his dad on the Vulcan Classic. It was so nice seeing them again. They took us to Applebee's for dinner where we caught up on time past. His dad is a great story teller and quite a character! I got to even ride the V-Max to the restaurant! There was a bit of traffic to start off but I still had a chance to scare the hell out of my son! Insanely powerful. brakes to die for, and comfort to boot! Dave of course is used to the bike already as my son and I could tell by the 80' strip of rubber he left on Route 555 North!!! There will be more to come on that one.

Anyway, I am beat from standing in the sun all day and riding about 3 hours home so I will give a full write up of the weekend's events tomorrow along with some pictures and videos. Thanks to all my dear buddies who accompanied us during the course of the weekend. It truly made the weekend more enjoyable. Have a great night to all and we'll talk tomorrow!

Let me say this buddy, there is no way I'm going to let you come down this far to my neck of the woods and get out to meet up with you guys. It was very nice to meet your son. You certainly have done well in raising that young gentleman. Now all we need to do is get a ride set up with all of us. I'll be looking forward to that until it happens. Glad you made it home ok and that you guys had a great time. I'll be looking forward the Vids and pics.
Take it easy bro.
Earlzach

Had a great time with Billy and Richie at the track yesterday. I ended up driving down instead of riding, but it would have been a bit much for one day, plus riding the NJ Turnpike isn't exactly fun. Next year I plan to go down for the whole weekend if I can. This year the weather and the racing was great...Billy took way more pictures than I did so I'll let him post them up first.

Happy Labor Day to all here on the forum. I hope everyone's weekend turned out as good as mine.
A little recap of the weekends events....... On Friday, Richie and I got to the track early to scope things out. The track and facility are very nice. Being only a little over a year old, they do have some bugs to work out, but overall it was great.
We walked around and checked all the grandstands to see which one offered the best view of the race. That for me, wound up being the Ducati Grandstands. That would be turns 3,4,and 5. The Yamaha Grandstands were also nice and this is where I got to see Josh Hayes crash on Friday, directly in front of us. Of course I didn't have the friggin camera on!
Once we knew where we wanted to view the race, we started walking around the grounds. If you ride in on motorcycle, you pretty much have the run of the place, at least this year. You were able to ride anywhere inside the complex. We opted to park in the "Yamaha Corral" with all our fellow Yamaha people.
The racing was awe inspiring! I've been to quite a few Nascar Races but this was much more exciting. These guys have absolutely no fear whatsoever! The slowest guy on the track would lap me 3 times before I'd make one run around the track. If your a real motorcycle enthusiast and have never seen a race, I highly recommend that you get to one soon. You won't regret it.
While me and Richie were in the Yamaha Grandstands early Friday morning, he looked around from the top and yelled to me that Jason Britton was standing over yonder. I could barely make him out but we walked over anyway. Sure enough it was him and his manager just hanging out against the fence. The park was really empty at that time so nobody else really noticed him. To make a long story short, we chatted with Jason for about a half hour. It was great talking with him and he was very gracious. His manager ran to his car and brought Richie their schedule for the weekend. We took some pictures, thanked them, and let them get back to their conversation.
Saturday had a bit of a twist to it. CanonFuji had called to say he was already at the track. We headed down and while at the front gate, the lady was having a problem scanning the tickets. While sitting, idling the bike, I suddenly felt and excrutiating pain on my right thigh. I looked down to see anti-freeze shooting all over my leg and the side of the bike! It seems that a week back when I did the AIS removal, I never put the spring clamp back on that tiny hose that connects to the radiator below the filler neck. Well the hose cracked and let go, scalding my leg pretty good and leaving us broken down by the gate.
I will say that motorcyclists are a breed apart from all others as everyone passing wanted to help. A team member from Jason DeSalvo's Rockstar Suzuki team rode by on his cart, asked us what was the problem, and came all the way back ten minutes later with a hose clamp from the garage! How sweet is that!
We wound up pushing the bike over 1/4 mile inside to the pro-shop where Ray had brought me a 4mm hex to remove the fairing bolt. I went and bought some 1/4" hose and water wetter and went to work. After about 1/2 hour we had her back up and running. The bike however stunk like anti-freeze and the entire right side of the bike was stained with the "green stuff". We used some bottled water to clean as much as we could until I could get back to the room.
My leg was hurting pretty bad for a while and my son was a little worried, but I checked it out in the bathroom and it was not that bad. So we stayed until about 1:00pm, smelling like anti-freeze and in damp pants, but having a blast none the less.
We went back to the room to shower and change clothes, went back for 3:00pm to see the Superbike and Supersport races, and then met up with EarlZach and his dad to go out for dinner. Richie and I had a terrific meal, great conversation, and a bunch of laughs that evening. Not to mention that I got to ride David's V-Max from the track to the restaurant. After saying our good-byes in the parking lot, and getting a "Farewell Rolling Burnout" from Dave in Applebee's parking lot, we all headed out, Dave and his dad to home, and Richie and I back to the Motel.
Sunday, I woke up early to wash the bike outside using the garbage pail from our bathroom and some washclothes. She was nice and clean once again and ready for the last day of racing and the long ride home.
Tony (NJFZ1), arrived at the Motel at 8:30am Sunday and had the foresight to bring his laptop and a blank DVD with him. I had mentioned to him the night before that my camera's 4gig memory card was full. He downloaded the contents into his PC to free up my card and burned a DVD for me with all the pics and videos from Friday and Saturday. So I now had 4 gigs to use for Sunday. Thanks Tony! The three of us went for breakfast, came back to check out of the Motel, and then headed for the track.
Day three was a tad more crowded than the prior 2 days for sure. We already had tickets, so waited for Tony to make his way in. The weather was beautiful on Sunday. With very overcast skies but no rain in the forecast, we had a wonderful breezy day. After walking around the paddocks and getting all our photos, we headed for my favorite Porta-pottie to get my spot for the race. The day before we found a porta-pottie by the Ducati Grandstands that had both an excellent view of the chicane, and provided shade from the sun. It seemed that nobody wanted to stay there but I had no problem with it. On Sunday the wind was blowing from right to left, so any stench was blowing away from us.
The racing was great! We saw both the winner of the race and the championship right in front of us doing their burnouts and wheelies with the checkered flags waving. I won't give any results in my post since some may not have seen the race yet.
We headed out with about 5 laps to go in the Superbike Race aiming to beat the traffic. We got back to the main drag with no problems, gassed up with fuel, and headed for the turnpike. Tony was nice enough to follow us as far as his exit just to make sure the bike would hold up with the makeshift repair. It held up just fine and we all made it home safely.
Richie and I rate this vacation at the top of the list of vacations. We only hope that the turnout there this year warrants a return visit for next year. I hope so! Now for some random pictures for you guys to see....Enjoy!

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

I could get used to this one!
IMG_0183.jpg

Richie fell in love with the new FZ6R...
IMG_0185.jpg

Richie and Jason Britton of Superbikes TV Show
IMG_0189.jpg

Matt Mladdin's Ride
IMG_0200.jpg

Hacking's Garage
IMG_0204.jpg

Jamie taking a breather.....
IMG_0206.jpg

Tommy Aquino's Yamaha...
IMG_0210.jpg

"The Man" Josh Hayes getting ready for warm up. He crashed shortly after this photo was taken...
IMG_0214.jpg

Danny Eslich's machine...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x19/yllib1961/IMG_0230.jpg[img]http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/

Richie found this little beauty outside the AMA trailer....
[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x19/yllib1961/IMG_0234.jpg

This is the corner where Hayes crashed in practice....
IMG_0235-1.jpg

Richie and Ray Saturday morning after getting my bike repaired....
IMG_0244.jpg

Ouch! That hurts.....
IMG_0248.jpg

Richie tries his hand at some wheelies.....
IMG_0257.jpg

Jason Britton's Stunt Bike
IMG_0262.jpg

Mrs. Britton was a doll. Very nice talking to her.
IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

EarlZach (David) and his dad Harry with me outside the restaurant. Thanks for a wonderful time!
IMG_0337.jpg

Me and my new V-Max! I mean Dave's V-Max
IMG_0339.jpg

These are pics from Friday and Saturday. I am working on Sunday's and will post again later on today. There will be some videos as well. Stay Tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 - Sunday

Here are some pics from Sunday....

Here's Tony checking out the new Yamaha's
AMASuperbikeWeekend2009.jpg

And here's Richie checking out other things! 15 years old, I better watch out!
AMASuperbikeWeekend2041.jpg

The Yamaha Hauler
AMASuperbikeWeekend2005.jpg

Some crappy shots of the racing. Ray's photos are a lot nicer.
AMASuperbikeWeekend2033.jpg

AMASuperbikeWeekend2032.jpg

Josh Herrin battling for first place.....
AMASuperbikeWeekend2025.jpg

AMASuperbikeWeekend2060.jpg

AMASuperbikeWeekend2061.jpg

Some videos to follow later on. Thanks for looking.

I had a great time as well hanging out with Billy and Richie. I didn't take as many pics as Billy, but here are some of my better ones:

At the stunt show:
IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843R.jpg

IMG_0844R.jpg

One of the race winners doing the customary burnout:
IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Some motorcycle eye candy from the paddock area:
IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Some nice bikes in the parking lot:
IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

A little video of the racing action:

Last edited:
Nice stuff there Tony. I've been real sluggish today for some reason. Even Richie was just hanging around the bed today. Anyway, I finally was able to upload some video. It's only part 1, but it will have to do until later.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q139MPamwbg]YouTube - 2009 AMA Superbike Weekend Pt.1[/ame]

Part's Two and Three of the AMA Weekend

Here are the last two parts to the weekends events. Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEZ0I3M_DQQ]YouTube - 2009 AMA Suoerbike Weekend Pt 2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PQWlTaX8E]YouTube - 2009 AMA Superbike Weekend Pt 3[/ame]

Back