Another tires thread..

Alright guys, I have searched and read just about EVERY PR2 and PP2CT thread there is.

However, not many discuss what I am about to ask. They do, just not as well as I would like to know before I place my order.

I have a 2010 with 2170 miles on it, and I HATE the stock D221 Craptastic Dunlops that came on the bike.

I had put Pilot Powers (Not the 2CT's) On my Gen1 when I bought it this summer and I am looking around again. Now the way I drove, I felt that it was aggressive but I think my tire wear showed different. I had 3500 miles on those tires and they basically looked new when I traded it for the 10. Sometimes I have 1/2" chicken strips, sometimes I have none. Usually though they average 1/4" or so as I am not super aggressive but I do enjoy spirited riding through the twisties. I have a lot of longer trips planned this year, one of them being to the Dragon, but that's 965 miles highway each way and I dont want to flat spot a set of tires just on my way down there.

So I am looking at the Pilot Road 2's, but I am reading that the turn in is slower etc. So what if I got the front a PP2CT and the rear a PR2? I notice people like that as it turns in faster. But then some people said to go with the Pilot Power (Not 2CT) front also.

What is going to be the difference? The Normal Power is a lot cheaper than the PP2CT front.. Also, I understand the rear PR2 will get great mileage, but will I have to change out the front PP or PP2CT first due to those not being Roads?

Another thing, is it true that the PR2 Rear uses the normal Pilot Power rear compound on the sides as the "soft" part, then just a harder compound in the center?

Thanks in advance!

Papa:

I would actually e-mail Michelin to see if they would advise against this. They will respond. Otherwise the info you get on the site is going to be purely intuitive. I have PR2s on my bike. I like them, however I have only have them about 300 miles. They were a great improvement as far as grip and ride over the o.e. Dunlops but the Dunlops were almost worn out. I used to own a garage that sold car tires and actually worked for Michelin for a very short time in the commercial truck tire division. They wouldn't have a problem with mixing long haul steer tiers and LTL drive tires. However, motorcycle tires are a different animal. Just as I had said. Write Michelin and let us know what they said.

Last edited:
Back