I use the Yamaha brand.....it's not that you use that much so the cost isn't prohibitive. I'm of the mind that antifreeze is a commodity....there isn't much difference in brands.

Don't use the bog standard car stuff.

The one you want is a bluey green colour that doesn't contain borates, phosphates or silicates.

Sent from my Nexus 5

As long as it is ok for aluminum engines any antifreeze is ok. Just checked the FZ1 Service Manual and there are very little specs on the recommended antifreeze other than to use a "High-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines." I just looked on my gallon jug of Prestone antifreeze in the garage and it said it is ok to use in any engine, including aluminum. Based on that I would feel comfortable using any commercial antifreeze in the FZ1 engine. In fact the specs on the Yamaha antifreeze is the same as the car stuff. There is no warning by Yamaha to use a special antifreeze different than what one might find in an automotive store. The color means nothing.

I suspect antifreeze is the same as gasoline, chain lube and engine oil, everyone has a 'war story' or has had a particular problem with one brand or another so they recommend one brand/type as the 'best'.

Last edited:
I just get the Honda anti-freeze from the dealership every time I'm going to change out coolant. It's usually on par with most prices of anti-freeze and I'm sure it should be safe in the FZ1.

Honda-HP-motorcycle-coolant_zpssrrlo9kv.jpg

Last edited:
Back