Any news or rumors about a redesign for FZ1 in 2015?

Just got this in my inbox tonight (Friday, 5/30). Some sort of new Yamaha unveiling on June 5th in Austin. A new version of the FZ 09?:

New Yamaha Unveiling

This is at the XGamesAustin event.

Hmmm, would be nice if its something closer to this concept rendering by Oberdan Bezzie referred to as the "middle weight Tenere'. Essentially, a form of an FZ-09 adventure bike. Many concept photos floating around this past year indicating different uses and bike layouts using the new I3 Triple engine platform. R3, FZ-09 Adventure, come on FZ1 replacement - I'd buy it if it had the new 1049 cc triple in a sport touring format.

yamaha-fz-09-tenere-concept-oberdan-bezzi_opt.jpg

Honestly, it will take a BIG WOW FACTOR to pull me away from the current FZ1. After all the mods I've put in and getting the ECU Ivanized, it's a lot more bike than I'd bargained for. Take this and the number of unchanged production years (read as "cheap parts") and I just cannot imagine getting rid of this bike in the near future. I'm starting to keep my eyes open for a donor bike to have just for parts in case I need them and make this bike live out the rest of my riding days. There are better bikes out there, but not for me. ;)

Regarding what's coming... I'm guessing the FZ1, as we know it, is about over. The release of the FZ-09 has all but sealed that deal. The remaining parts will fill the FZ8 builds until that one is over and we'll be left with the FZ-09 and FZ-07 as the options. Just my guess....

Ride a BMW S1000R and you will change your mind! WOW!

Ouch

Wow is right, and so is the entry price and the extras required to make the bike special. Hopefully Yamaha comes out with a competitor of sorts in the next few years, including some of these options.

Article, quote about S1000R: "pony up $950 (on top of the $14,999 base price) for the Sports package and one gets a more sophisticated engine management package with Dynamic and Dynamic Pro (which offers minimal intervention and is definitely not for newbies). As well, there’s another option, the Dynamic package (this time, an additional $775), which adds BMW Dynamic Damping Control (DDC).", unquote.

just did a test ride with s1000R and the RR, the R is miles away of any stock jap in the segment, pulls like a v2 from 2k rpm, amazing brakes , all the electronics you could think of but... the riding position is slightly better than on the RR, steering a bit too wide , no wind protection(doh)

I had big hopes for the R as a replacement for my gen1,

just did a test ride with s1000R and the RR, the R is miles away of any stock jap in the segment, pulls like a v2 from 2k rpm, amazing brakes , all the electronics you could think of but... the riding position is slightly better than on the RR, steering a bit too wide , no wind protection(doh)

I had big hopes for the R as a replacement for my gen1,

So did they unveil anything worth mentioning ?

"Many riders seem to forget that a motorcycle with a claimed 190 horsepower doesn’t have that power at every rpm. So, just because peak hp is reduced by 30 from the S1000RR to 160, that doesn’t mean that the S1000R loses a single bit of usable power. In fact, with its increased torque over most of the rpm range, the R has more usable power. And besides, as anyone who regularly rides a modern literbike well knows, actually experiencing a high-rpm 190-hp number, without doing jail time, is considerably risky. So the only tears this new BMW should cause are those of visceral joy." Cycle World 12/9/13

Someday I will take my 08 above 8500rpm. to see what 135HP is like.

"Many riders seem to forget that a motorcycle with a claimed 190 horsepower doesn’t have that power at every rpm. So, just because peak hp is reduced by 30 from the S1000RR to 160, that doesn’t mean that the S1000R loses a single bit of usable power. In fact, with its increased torque over most of the rpm range, the R has more usable power. And besides, as anyone who regularly rides a modern literbike well knows, actually experiencing a high-rpm 190-hp number, without doing jail time, is considerably risky. So the only tears this new BMW should cause are those of visceral joy." Cycle World 12/9/13

It's exciting.

Had my FZ1 dyno'd and with respect, the Yoshi gives it more low end torque than the BMW. This is where most of us are forced to live.

unnamed1.jpg

About a month away.

The future lies in the new triple and not the old 20 valve inline four we now ride....it's plant is obsolete. I suspect the FZ1 will be gone at the end of the 2014 year or the next, replaced with something more modern.

Found some interesting comments in a recent asphalt-and-rubber article and spy photos on the track about the upcoming 2015 R1 spotted during testing.

If they keep the four cylinder in the R1, I wonder if that means the (4) four cylinder will be retained in the FZ1 too for 2015, or replaced all together.

My local dealer mentioned there will be another release of information on new 2015 models close to September 12th, for what that's worth, or if it will even include the FZ1.

Article, about R1 - quote:
"will continue to use a four-cylinder crossplane engine configuration — this revelation squashes any notion of a three-cylinder superbike from Iwata."

link:2015 Yamaha R1 Spotted

I am currently on my second Gen 1. If my current bike dies or gets salvaged like my old one was, I will probably purchase another Gen 1. They are plentiful and cheap with low mileage in SoCal.

I will not consider a new one until they put the Cross Plane 4 and a dual exhaust on the FZ1, with the right aftermarket exhaust that engine sounds heavenly.

A friend recently purchased a new FZ09 and I rode it around a bit, man that thing is skinny. I liked it, but not sure I would like riding a naked bike at 80-85 on the freeway each day. I need the half fairing to give me some protection from the wind.

Looking at what they are doing with the other MT series bikes, I'd say a 3 cylinder MT01 (FZ1) is on the cards.

Sent from my Nexus 5
but why have a 900 and a 1000? I say that since they released the mt09 they should have something that actually plays in the super naked league. everyone else does. Even Suzuki is releasing a naked 160 hp liter bike for next year. That would mean that yamaha either plays the "we're selling the cheapest bike in the super naked segment" card, or that the development budget was tight and they released the cash cow first, next year comes the flagship update (if they want to be able to sell that in 2016 in Europe it must have abs) and then maybe they either update the fz1 or they discontinue it

I am currently on my second Gen 1. If my current bike dies or gets salvaged like my old one was, I will probably purchase another Gen 1. They are plentiful and cheap with low mileage in SoCal.

I will not consider a new one until they put the Cross Plane 4 and a dual exhaust on the FZ1, with the right aftermarket exhaust that engine sounds heavenly.

A friend recently purchased a new FZ09 and I rode it around a bit, man that thing is skinny. I liked it, but not sure I would like riding a naked bike at 80-85 on the freeway each day. I need the half fairing to give me some protection from the wind.
The mt09 will come in different disguises. The mt07 already does. What I think is that given that the mt09 has low End suspension and is very underpowered, is that it's targeted för Southern Europe where this type of bikes sell well. This could mean that they will make something naked and more high-end

Last edited:
Back