Any riders near Louisville, KY?

After being out of state for about 10 years, I'm moving back to my hometown of Louisville, KY next month. I don't know any riders there. Any of you guys live in the area? It would be great to meet up at some point for a ride.

I'm just south of Knoxville if you ever find you self down here to hit the dragon or the skyway.
Thanks Krispy, I'm sure I'll get down there sometime in the next few years. Been down to Shady Valley a couple times, but haven't gotten as far as the Dragon (on the motorcycle) yet.

MHS: Grew up in J-Town until age 6, then Hikes Point until college. Nashville for school and now NJ for 7 years. Glad to be moving back home. My wife, newborn, and I will be in Hikes Points with my parents for a couple months while we find a place. Not sure what part we'll wind up in. Where are you?

I've been down to Knoxville a number of times, but I've yet to go on the bike.

I grew up in the Highlands, moved to Lexington for a summer during college, lived near UofL for college, and now live in St. Regis Park

I grew up in the Highlands, moved to Lexington for a summer during college, lived near UofL for college, and now live in St. Regis Park
Cool. Are there still public tennis courts over in Dupree (sp?) park? You up for getting together for a ride sometime in September? My two-wheeling didn't start until college, so I don't really know any great roads around Louisville. Though, I did deliver for Hume Pharmacy in J-Town in high school, and ran a lot out near Taylorsville and Fisherville, so know a few roads out that way.

Not sure where that park is? Only park near me that I know about is Des Pres off Lowe Road, which does have tennis courts.

Yep, I'll be around. Fall is pretty busy, but there's almost always time for a ride in there somewhere.

I don't really know any roads; usually when I go for a ride for the heck of it I hop on the bike, go a direction I've never gone taking roads I've never used -- at some point in the ride I check my friendly Google Maps and figure out how to start working my way back.

Hey y'all!

I grew up just across the river from ya.

If y'all want some good twisties to ride in Southern Indiana sometime, hit me up and I'll put together a ride for ya.

I'm a couple hundred miles northwest halfway between St. Louis and Indy on I-70. If you venture up my way and I have some free time, I'd be happy to meet halfway. Looks like Vincennes, IN or Washington, IN would be around midway.

Post some pics of the bike!

I could use some good road knowledge in southern Indiana...

I went on a ride with a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago, took random tiny roads along the river from Louisiville to Owensboro in KY, and then in IN on the way back. I found a lot of fun things over there that I probably couldn't find again.

That ride was the first time I'd crossed a one-lane wooden bridge ... and found two of them at that!

MHS, yeah Des Pres is the park I was talking about. Haven't been up there since my little league days and forgot the spelling.

I'm definitely up for some southern IN riding. Where I am in NJ, I'm used to having to ride for 45 minutes before I even get to any half-decent roads. I usually manage to get in a week-long motorcycle trip once a year, and 1 or 2 long weekends. Just had a baby, so I might not get the week-long trips in every year...but hopefully still the long weekends.

Here are some photos of the bike, and one of the doofus who pulls the go-string.

Neither usually.

If I'm riding to a particular destination, like a few weeks back I went to Owensboro to get some BBQ, I use Google Maps before I leave to get an idea of the roads I want to take, and then I go. If I'm going for a ride, time isn't a concern so if I don't follow the route exactly, or make a few wrong turns its ok.

If I don't have a destination and I'm riding just to ride, I don't look at a map at all, I just hop on the bike and go.

Somewhere along the way I'll pull over and use my phone to check Google Maps (or sometime use the GPS in this situation, but I haven't installed a power source for it yet so I use that sparingly) to figure out where I am and how to get back on track to a particular destination or how to get home.

I use MapSource and my Garmin Zumo. Never heard of Streets and Trips, but maybe I'll check it out.

Unless I'm commuting or running errands, the GPS is always on my bike. Sometimes I'll map a route in advance, but usually I'll use the GPS as a guide while I'm out. It makes exploring and finding the "good" roads a lot easier. Of course, as I get to know the roads and area better, I find myself using it less.

Got into town yesterday and saw a silver (maybe a skunk) Gen 1 with a black engine heading west on Taylorsville Rd through the Hikes Ln intersection. MHS, was that you or anyone you know?

Wasn't me or anyone I know -- I don't know many bikers, in fact - all of my riding is usually with some buddies from high school that are on a suzuki bandit and kawasaki versys... and I'm on either a black/grey Gen II FZ1 or dark blue FZ6.

Back