Anyone from Portland?

I've been there quite a few times and really like the city. It's very similar to Vancouver's climate despite being much further south. I guess this has something to do with being more inland. They appear to (statistically) only get slightly less rain than Vancouver and are slightly warmer on average. There's a nice music scene, great food and lots of eco-friendly hippie stuff which I don't think you're into. ;) I'm not much of a city person but I do appreciate a not-so-dense city with lots of access to food and culture, much like Vancouver.

I like the whole state of Oregon. It's small and peaceful and you can go a long time without seeing another person which is not that common in the US as you know. They have every climate you could ask for; desert with sand dunes, miles of beautiful coastline (you can even ride up on the beaches and park in front of the ocean), rainforest greenery, snowy mountains and all the rest in between.

The best part is, the riding is really good. Plus, you're just a short 500 mile dash to motorcycle heaven in Northern California.

Next140miles.jpg

:D

The only downside is that Oregon is located in the USA so I can't live there :spank2:

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking Dustin, thank you.

Yeah the crunchy hippie thing I'm so over. As a kid in the '70' I grew up in the Estes Park, Colorado. Very cool place, tons of hippies. We did all of our shopping in Boulder, even more hippies. It gets old after a while.

Reason I ask is I got a call from a headhunter. The job sounds great, but after our Oklahoma City Misadventure, I'm doing much more research this time!

It's been awhile since he's been logged on but Johnnylane is from Portland. One of my best girlfriends lives there now, it can get a bit dreary like Seattle in the winter months, but for the most part, it's very pretty and clean. Lots more to do outside too....she's an avid road biker and the beach and mountains are not far.
Glad to hear you might be getting out of OKC.....my daughter was so happy when they came back :)

If you are able to handle the climate, I'd say Oregon is a great opportunity. The access to nature must be astronomical compared Oklahoma. Cost of living seems very low (compared to BC) and quality of life is high. Hippies might be annoying but it's nice to live somewhere that people care about health and well being

Portland is a great city

Of course I am biased but as a long time Portland resident and being a fairly well traveled person I haven't come across another city I would rather reside in. It helps that my and my wife's family live locally as well. Dustin made many great points, but there are a couple he overlooked. Firstly there is the abundance of great micro brews here, the beer in Portland I believe is second to none, I have the beer belly to prove it! As I know dustin doesn't drink I will forgive him that omission! Second is the Oregon coast is only 1 1/2 hours away and is a beautiful, relaxing place to be. Also, the twisties to get there are a blast on the moto. The local restaurant scene, as Dustin mentioned, is quite good as well. Portland does have its share of hippies, as well as hipsters but for the most part it is a nice, friendly city. If you have any questions just let me know, always happy to help!

Weather

Forgot to mention the weather. Our spring, summer and fall seasons are for the most part very nice. Summer is mostly mid 70's to 90. We get hot sometimes in the summer but it usually cools down nicely in the evening. The winters can be a bit dreary with a fair amount of rain at times. I think on average we get a bit less rainfall than Seattle?

I was in Portland for a few days about a year ago when my oldest son got married there. It was in December and the sun was only out for a couple of hours the entire time we were there. It's the only time that I have been there. According to Wikipedia, the winters are cold and damp but some of the other seasons may be drier. Good luck in your search.

Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate it.

We have several options for our OKC exit strategy in the works.

I like the Portland option as I know the industry pretty well, it is with a relo package so I wouldn't lose my shirt on the OKC house, and we would be going to a cool city with culture, and cool stuff to do; skiing, cycling, motorcycling, climbing, etc.

Another option is my wife kicks off her business idea back in Austin. I would stay here for the next 18 months while she goes back to Austin to start it up. That way we have insurances, income, and my 401k and options vest with my current employer.

But who knows, last week was the beginning of "hiring season." Maybe this year I'll get a call from a Central Texas company. So far it's been Portland, Jacksonville, FL, and St. Louis. Portland is in the lead!

My short list is, Austin, Denver (Colorado front range really), Portland, Seattle, Boise, San Diego, and if my wife has any say....wait for it...Houston (ick).

Personally I have nothing against Florida, but my son sold his FZ1 when he moved down there for 2 reason:
1) roads are boring as he!!, flat and straight
2) snowbirds! they flock down to FL. in the winter months and they are horrible drivers!

Good Luck Pete :popcorn:

Best places for people 35 and under...granted I turn 50 this year! UGH!!!

I hear ya, I'll be 48 this year! Good to see Portland #1! :icon_beer:

From a motorcycling point of view you will love it more than you can imagine. Within a day ride you can have the ocean, forests, Columbia river Gorge, or wonderful high desert canyons off the the east.
It will take you years to discover all the good riding on the west coast, your new Guzzi would fit real well.
You will need good rain gear and other than a few interstate hwys the whole F'n state
has a 55 speed limit. In higher traffic areas most people run 10 over but when you are running by yourself your a sitting duck so to speak. You can't pump your own gas, Oregon has to protect you from yourself.
If it's a good gig and your wife is on board Portland is worth a shot.

Last edited:
I grew up in Portland and way north of that area, now I live on the eastern side of Washington, but the riding over there is great. Dirtbikes and street. Lots of twisties all around, and every kind of scenery you could want within a couple hours drive

Back