Anyone here with Pirelli Diablo Rosso III

Dammit!!

I was just in the shed looking at my bike when I noticed that the back tyre was completely flat :rant:

There's a decent size hole right in the middle of the tyre, so it's off to the bike shop tomorrow to get an internal plug fitted.

Never had any flats with the Bridgestones. Looks like they pick up flats easy or maybe it's just bad luck.

After 8500km my tyre has had it, it's hit the wear bars , do only sports riding, no commuting/touring or track days, good grip, fast heat up but it's started to delaminate, anyone else experience this

PIRDR3a.jpg

Mine didn't do that, mine went right to showing canvas. I can't tell how much rubber is left above the canvas in that photo. Is there much?

Nope, no canvas, just cut up rubber, plus uneven wear where it was down to the wear bars where the "damage" is yet around the other half of the tyre the wear bars weren't flush, got on to Pirelli and GC both of which told me that the tyre is worn and thats the way they go, never seen anything like this before, I reckon its a defective batch but they don't agree so very little that one can do. Granted it was nearing replacement but had it not done this I reckon that I could have got maybe 1 or 2 thousand or so more klicks out of it. Did notice that centre section didn't look right before this happened and they say that the centre area has a harder compound than the sides

I went for a ride yesterday, did about 200km, when I left, the patch was about 10mm, when I got back it was about 180mm as in the pics, I reckon that its delaminating

How many km did you get out of yours.

GC are telling me that I should be lucky to get 8500 as the normal wear is around 4500 - 6500. This I don't know as the last tyre the oem dunlop I canned as I picked up a couple of staples in it at 5,000km and that would have been half worn.

Will replace with the same as it is a good tyre plus still keen to match the front

PIRDR3d.jpg

Last edited:
Not complaining about the mileage, its just that I've never seen one go this way, normally they wear out until they go smooth if you choose to leave it that long or so with most of the other tyres I've seen. Have a few tightarse mates that get their pound of flesh from tyres. Be getting another one next week, good tyre.

I agree, they are an excellent tyre.

I've got just over 7,000 klms on mine and there is still plenty left in the centre.

I keep my pressures fairly high though @ 35F and 40R psi.

They still grip really well and I get great mileage out of them too.

I was running Rosso 2's and loved them. I went for the 3 on the front last time as I read that the centre was harder than the 2's and as I do a lot of motorway riding having a harder, longer lasting, centre is a good thing.... as long as the transition to the softer compount on the sides works well when cornering.

I'm very impressed with it so far. It is definitely wearing better and the feel from the front is much improved over the 2. It doesn't feel like it's taking a wider line than the back any more which always made me think it was going to slip away and leave me in a pile of dirt on the side of the road.

It feels solid in the wet too and will probably allow much harder riding that I am capable of.

Now just waiting to use up the last few mm of rear so I can get a 3 on there too.

Back